Author Topic: Now it is official: LED lighting has proven as don't energy saving  (Read 1203 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Now it is official: LED lighting has proven as don't energy saving « on: August 04, 2019, 11:58:20 AM » Author: dor123
https://gizmodo.com/the-switch-to-outdoor-led-lighting-has-completely-backf-1820652615

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Now it is official: LED lighting has proven as don't energy saving « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:52:16 PM » Author: Max
Let's not get confused about the exact nature of the problem here... the issue is not with LEDs but with basic human behavior.

When comparing factual data there is no doubt that LED systems are much more efficient that conventional lighting, i.e., 160 lm/W for today's good LED streetlight luminaires vs. 105 lm/W max for the best HID luminaire out there (excluding SOX, which has become irrelevant). So the energy saving realized by switching to LEDs is a proven fact, there's no question about it.
The problem here is that because LED technology uses less energy for the same illumination, people use more of it, often in places were there was no streetlights before, resulting at the end in more energy consumption and more overall light pollution. This is all a result of the Jevons paradox. There's nothing wrong with LEDs here, but with how the technology is applied by end users.
Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Now it is official: LED lighting has proven as don't energy saving « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 01:56:31 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Let's not get confused about the exact nature of the problem here... the issue is not with LEDs but with basic human behavior.

When comparing factual data there is no doubt that LED systems are much more efficient that conventional lighting, i.e., 160 lm/W for today's good LED streetlight luminaires vs. 105 lm/W max for the best HID luminaire out there (excluding SOX, which has become irrelevant). So the energy saving realized by switching to LEDs is a proven fact, there's no question about it.
The problem here is that because LED technology uses less energy for the same illumination, people use more of it, often in places were there was no streetlights before, resulting at the end in more energy consumption and more overall light pollution. This is all a result of the Jevons paradox. There's nothing wrong with LEDs here, but with how the technology is applied by end users.

Right on, just what i was about to type out.

The Swedish governmental power agency made a report on this (that i cant find right now) about the effects on power consumption from the incandescent ban and found out that the energy consumption from lighting had risen in Sweden since the ban. They found that is because of the fact that lighting is now so cheap due to low power consumtion that there is no problem having lamps lit 24/7, while before people would make sure to always turn off lights that where not needed. Also more and more people are using outdoor lighting as the advent of LED's have made it more reliable, cheaper (both to buy and run) and more attractive.

Made in Sweden

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Now it is official: LED lighting has proven as don't energy saving « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:30:16 AM » Author: Medved
It is nothing new even in the lighting industry alone. The energy consumption per capita is growing steadily since first dedicated lamps (torches, then oil lamps,...; yes, I'm talking about 1000s years history) superseeded the use of open fire for illumination...
What surprises me, this is surprising to so many officials really working in that area.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies