Author Topic: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room  (Read 1811 times)
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « on: February 02, 2020, 01:27:23 PM » Author: merc
Most of us light up their favourite lamps from time to time. But have you tried using them for a longer period in a place where you spend most of the time?
Having my spouse abroad I've had an opportunity to experiment. I've been using mercury lighting exclusively (except a few occasions when I needed more light and added regular ceiling lighting for a limited time).

Boring Sylvania, Philips and some other modern MBFU lamps were used in the beginning. They're 4000K - 4200K with decent colour rendition so it wasn't a big jump from 4000K LEDs we normally use there.
Narva/NBB lamp was used next. While 2000+, it's a higher CCT lamp (4500K - 5000K) and the light was more interesting already.
A 1977 Tesla RVLX lamp followed and was used for more than two weeks. (I've got three of them so I can afford to wear them out a bit.) That's some light! Almost 6000K with significantly subdued red colour rendering and pronounced greenish tint. I got used to it and really enjoyed the street lighting colour from my childhood.
Now I'm finishing with a clear MV lamp "on tap". Actually it hasn't been a huge leap from the RVLX lamp. Maybe I'll prolong the experiment a bit because I like this light as well. :mv:
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:06:31 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've been doing this kinda stuff for years lol

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 02:40:30 PM » Author: Rommie
We prefer LPS, so we have our Thorn Gamma 6 in the living room and a Beta 5 in the bedroom, which are both in daily use with 35W SOX lamps  8) :a_sox:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 03:35:11 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I actually converted my kitchen lights to 70watt halides back in March 2013, and ran with a 10,000 lumen kitchen for 19 months!, I fitted them in the morning and went to work at 2pm, not telling the wife anything about it! ::)
I got a phone call that evening at about 9, it was the wife, who had come home, got out of the car, and wondered why the light coming from the kitchen window resembled a H bomb going off in the house!!  ;D
Sadly though I soon came to realise that the ‘brighter’ kitchen I wanted was giving me eye fatigue!, and dropped down to more sensible household lighting!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:40:02 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 03:47:15 PM » Author: Rommie
I remember you saying about that  ;D
The 2150 lumens from our newly fitted 28W 2D is plenty bright enough for us  8)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 04:01:48 PM » Author: merc
We prefer LPS, so we have our Thorn Gamma 6 in the living room and a Beta 5 in the bedroom, which are both in daily use with 35W SOX lamps  8) :a_sox:
Go VEGAN!
Go MONOCHROME!

Sadly though I soon came to realise that the ‘brighter’ kitchen I wanted was giving me eye fatigue!, and dropped down to more sensible household lighting!
A real written complain from people working in an office building equipped with new high power LED panels: "Please dim those lights a little. We are no tomatoes! ;D

Yeah. Too much is too much. With 10k lm in the kitchen you almost have to wear sunglasses. 8)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 06:17:02 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I remember you saying about that  ;D
The 2150 lumens from our newly fitted 28W 2D is plenty bright enough for us  8)
I remember Sammi’s first comment on the photo was something like, “you sir are a nutter”!  ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 06:19:21 PM » Author: Rommie
I remember Sammi’s first comment on the photo was something like, “you sir are a nutter”!  ;D
Hey, we like nutters, we're paid up life members of the club  ;D

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 04:36:55 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
My room is lit with a 70 watt high pressure sodium lamp in a Holophane low bay fixture. It is 7000 lumens but it's peachy colored light so it doesn't strain the eyes.

In a bedroom it's okay but in a kitchen it'd look terrible and the food would look gross.. I've noticed that when I drag food up to my bedroom that under LPS and HPS light it doesn't look as good.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: One Month With Mercury Lighting in the Living Room « Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 04:52:03 PM » Author: Rommie
My room is lit with a 70 watt high pressure sodium lamp in a Holophane low bay fixture. It is 7000 lumens but it's peachy colored light so it doesn't strain the eyes.

In a bedroom it's okay but in a kitchen it'd look terrible and the food would look gross.. I've noticed that when I drag food up to my bedroom that under LPS and HPS light it doesn't look as good.

When we've had SOX on in the kitchen, the only thing that looks the same colour as it does normally is baked beans  :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies