Author Topic: Refrigerators and freezer in grocery stores  (Read 1131 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Refrigerators and freezer in grocery stores « on: April 04, 2019, 08:37:29 PM » Author: Cole D.
Just wondering if anyone paid attention to this? Since I was kind of interested in the refrigerators in stores as a kid, since they caught my eye when I'd go shopping with my mom.

Now around here:
The Publix near me, before it was rebuilt had units from the late 90s, I think when it was remodeled. They were all gray/white and said "Hill Phoenix Excellence" on it. The new store was rebuilt in 2016, and the units all look about the same, but the name says "Hillphoenix" instead. Most are tan, with ones in meat dept brown/tan and in seafood dept are stainless steel color. They appear to have fluorescent tubes above the open units with protective sleeves (but could be LED tube). Plus the ones in the freezer aisles have LED strips between the doors, and are on a motion sensor, so shut off if nobody is walking by.

The other Publix across town also have tan Hill Phoenix Excellence units. I'm not sure the age, but I think they were from about 2011. Since the store was an Albertsons before the Publix moved in around 2008. But at the time I don't think Publix did much to the store, so probably just used the Huffsman units that Albertson's had from the 90s. Then Publix did a redo in 2011 or so and probably replaced the units then.

Now for Winn Dixie, nearest my house, was a Sweetbay before and have mostly Kysor Warren units from 2000s. But Winn Dixie had moved in during 2014 and kept the units the same. Last year the store got remodeled though, and I think they may have gotten a few new units, but I haven't been to see.

The Winn Dixie on other side of town, had old cases from the 80s when it was built (probably Hill or Huffsman). But in 2008 it got remodeled and most of the cases were replaced with tan Hill Phoenix Excellence or Kysor Warren cases. The ones that weren't got new fronts put on to match. Plus this one also had the LEDs in the freezer aisle after the remodel, but I don't remember if it has motion sensors.

Walmart originally, had Tyler cases in tan with red stripe. But about 2008 they replaced them with black/stainless steel colored units. They have a lot of different brands, I know some are Sanyo, Huffsman, Kysor Warren and a few Hill Phoenix.

I've noticed lately, most older stores tended to have the open top style freezer units, but these days most have upright units with glass doors. For more efficient, I guess. But Walmart still has a lot of the open style island cases.

Also, a lot of stores these days seem to have a big cooler behind the milk/dairy glass doors. Because in the back it looks like a walk in cooler further back, and you can see those explosion proof fixtures with the guard over the glass.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Refrigerators and freezer in grocery stores « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:38:39 PM » Author: sol
When I was growing up, the only refrigerators that really caught my eye were in a smallish grocery store. They were I believe Haussmann, maybe General, I don't really remember. They had spring loaded sliding glass doors. What caught my fancy was the coil unit inside, which was housed in a metal box with two fans that were always spinning. The lone HO lamp in the post in the middle of the doorway (where the two sliding doors overlap) ran of course on a magnetic ballast and as a result, the fans appeared to spin slowly in the opposite direction. They had dark grey plastic blades, but one went bad and was replaced with a new one with metal blades, which made the effect even more pronounced. These are all gone now, having been replaced by open units of which I don't recall the manufacturer. I also believe they are all LED but I could be wrong. The store has been spot-replacing EOL fluorescent lamps everywhere with LED tubes.
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Refrigerators and freezer in grocery stores « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:03:52 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
In my area where I live, the grocery stores uses Hill Phoenix and Kysor/Warren Heatcraft frezzer and refrigerator systems. Which they have LED and fluorescent (F32 T8s).

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies