Author Topic: How would I go about saving any streetlights?  (Read 2183 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
How would I go about saving any streetlights? « on: January 27, 2019, 12:40:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
I was just wondering about this. Because my town seems to have more old street lights left than any others around. Since we have some old Westinghouse and American Electric still that are close to or over 50 years. I haven't heard anything about a change out to the LED, and I'm not sure Duke Energy even do that sort of thing.

But I'd like to be able to save any especially old street lights if that happened. But, I'm not sure who I would even contact since I don't know anyone that work there. Plus, even if I did, they probably would think I just crazy or not worth their time, since they're just old lights to them.

I tried to contact the co-op that maintain the lights where I live last summer. They did respond to me but they said they just scrap them out and didn't seem interested in letting me have any.

I'd like to add old lights to my collection but the only resource I have if the utility won't let me get any is eBay. And it's gotten to where the prices there are ridiculous on HID fixtures or streetlights, NEMA head, etc.

Plus I thought about asking a lineman if I see them changing a light out, but I never see any around. I just see the lights have been changed after it's done. Yet they might not let me have it either if I ask him.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 12:17:39 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
You could snoop around junkyards..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 01:42:22 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Snoop around at a Scrap yard? like with out permission?

I always ask permission to my scrap metal recyling yard
cause they are there to make money by reselling your
metal to a broker.   Many times I just go Ask to look in
the breakage pile.  that  technical term for dirty cast
aluminium.  they may sell it to you for 10 to 25 cents a
pound.  cause they love people buying metals locally
and not having to truck it to the hammer mill.  plus they
i get bulbs free cause they dont like dealling with glass
anyway.   

I have save street lights from. i lineman few times. even if they wont let you have it. ask them if you can trade street light.  I save dead ones too why cause you can always ask you can trade street lights when lineman around and you have better results. cause they would have somthing to take back.  cause they rather have 5 buck back to recoup some of the cost due to value of metal.  also you can ask Demolition crew that raze over strip malls.  make sure lights are really vintage make them worth there time to take down the lights for ya
if let your money do the talking.  the old saying is money
talks the bull$ Hitter walks

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:55:37 PM » Author: Cole D.
Well today I noticed when I was driving in my neighborhood, and the power crews were out working on teh wires. But it looks like they had replaced some AEL 125 with some kind of LEDs. But I couldn't tell. And I didn't see anyone working on the streetlights, or any sitting on the ground. Or otherwise I would had stopped, and asked for one.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:23:15 AM » Author: Ash
I had bought one lantern once "officially" straigth from the depot, with paperwork and receipt. They didn't make any difficulties with that. (Payment at the same place where you would come to pay municipal taxes/services, not at the lighting depot. But that's how it was in this town, not necessarily anywhere else)

Other lanterns i found just laying around (esp. if large replacement schemes are done, they may be not so carefull about collecting them), asked from workers, picked from trash, picked from construction rubble, picked from the road (after it fell onto the road from the bed of the town's cherry picker truck while driving), asked contractors and wholesalers i know to keep for me, etc. Allways ask and inquire, sometimes you'll succeed sometimes not

Sometimes you'll have to be naughty or a bad boy, somewhat
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 05:20:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
Hmm, well I did seen a cobra head streetlight lying on the ground after we had a hurricane, in 2017. But I wouldn't have taken it since it wasn't mine and I figured they would put it back. And I don't see any streetlights in trash or any scrapyards around.

The best way I think would be to find where ever the utility company takes the ones they replace. Yet I don't know anyone that works there now. I did know someone that worked for the power company but they retired.

So my best bet is eBay, which is usually expensive.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:23:59 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
eBay seller gfeesh has a n.o.s. GE M-250 R2 150watt hps for only $49.99+ shipping  relative cheap for a n.o.s. cobra

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 09:26:33 PM » Author: Ash
Lanterns on the Earth after hurricanes are usually in a condition where no one would be putting them back up...

If you know anyone who works with the council or electrical company (who owns the lights in your area ?) that's a start. Over here, most lanterns are owned by city or town councils. Now here is a thing : The equipment in public schools (desks, computers, etc) is often property of the council as well, and often the people in charge of accounting that and the streetlights (from the council's side) are the same people or atleast in the same office, and the stock of stuff could be stored at the same depot. You could try to get your way to them through your school's technical staff
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: How would I go about saving any streetlights? « Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:35:10 AM » Author: Cole D.
My understanding is that all of the streetlights in town are owned by Duke Energy, otherwise than those acorn post tops that are owned by the city itself. Lighting in parking lots would be owned by the owner of property.

In some municipalities the city does own the lights, but to my understanding not the case here nearby.

Although it is interesting how certain areas of town use different fixtures. Where the newer areas developed in 70s-90s use GE M250R2, some Coopers and AEL. Where older areas use lots of NEMA heads, some Westinghouse Viscount, and older cobras like Westinghouse OV-25 and AE 15-000 even a very few.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies