Author Topic: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning?  (Read 2313 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « on: March 10, 2019, 03:35:13 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Today my dad broke a fluorescent tube. There were drinks in the room where he broke it, so he is emptying all of the bottles/cans and throwing the empty ones away. Is this really necessary?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:49:28 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
no it's not.  there isn't enough mercury in a case of CFLs or tubes to cause any harm in my opinion. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:07:31 AM » Author: dor123
All the hysteria from the mercury in fluorescent and HID lamps is unnecessary. The mercury content is too small to cause mercury poisoning.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:38:13 AM » Author: Ash
The biggest danger is not from the Mercury, but from a sharp small piece of Glass landing into drink or food and them somebody drinking/eating it. This alone justifies the disposal of any drink or food that was standing open when the lamp broke

Don't forget pet water/food dishes if you have pets

The containers (cups, dishes, etc) can be just cleaned to guarantee that there is no Glass remaining on them, there is no need to throw them away

The Mercury that was in vapor form got in the air. The mercury that was in liquid form (if any) is in the phosphor. Open windows to vent the room air. Collect the phosphor with a damp paper towel and throw away. Do not vacuum it

If the lamp was on when it broke, most of the Mercury was vapor. If off, most is in the Phosphor

The Mercury content in one lamp, as is, is very unlikely to cause any health effects

When treated correctly (window opened, phosphor collected and discarded), the amount of Mercury remaining in the room after the procedure (of which only a tiny amount you will ever inhale), is less than the amount of Mercury that you could be getting into your body from other sources, such as eating fish

The Phosphor is probably not healthy either, but the main danger is that where thre is Phosphor there could also be fine Glass sharpnel present
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:56:38 AM » Author: Medved
The fear o mercury poisoning from an one broken tube is really a hysteria scam.
The real mercury problem is on places, where is not just a single or few lamps, but where large amount of lamps concentrate. So the waste from the manufacturing process and then the disposal sites. There we are talking about 1000's of lamps and that becomes a thing.
But with just a single lamp broken the most respect should be really with the sharp glass fragments, just because they are razor sharp and small, so likely to even fly rather far away.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:57:08 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:21 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
The biggest danger is not from the Mercury, but from a sharp small piece of Glass landing into drink or food and them somebody drinking/eating it. This alone justifies the disposal of any drink or food that was standing open when the lamp broke

Don't forget pet water/food dishes if you have pets

The containers (cups, dishes, etc) can be just cleaned to guarantee that there is no Glass remaining on them, there is no need to throw them away

The Mercury that was in vapor form got in the air. The mercury that was in liquid form (if any) is in the phosphor. Open windows to vent the room air. Collect the phosphor with a damp paper towel and throw away. Do not vacuum it

If the lamp was on when it broke, most of the Mercury was vapor. If off, most is in the Phosphor

The Mercury content in one lamp, as is, is very unlikely to cause any health effects

When treated correctly (window opened, phosphor collected and discarded), the amount of Mercury remaining in the room after the procedure (of which only a tiny amount you will ever inhale), is less than the amount of Mercury that you could be getting into your body from other sources, such as eating fish

The Phosphor is probably not healthy either, but the main danger is that where thre is Phosphor there could also be fine Glass sharpnel present
All of the drinks were unopened. The room is in the basement where there are no windows.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 06:40:28 AM » Author: funkybulb
he went really overboard  most ffluorescent tubes
have mercury about size of a ball point pen
 if lamp is on then yes most of it in vapor form
 even if it lost in the room.  it about mercury doesage
 of eating fish on your dinner plate.  i just wash those
full can of beer. It the  older 1938-1949 tubes that  you
need to worry about.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:29:43 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
he went really overboard  most ffluorescent tubes
have mercury about size of a ball point pen
 if lamp is on then yes most of it in vapor form
 even if it lost in the room.  it about mercury doesage
 of eating fish on your dinner plate.  i just wash those
full can of beer. It the  older 1938-1949 tubes that  you
need to worry about.
The lamp was a 1995 unbranded (Philips made) F40CW lamp. The lamp was off when it broke.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Can breaking one fluorescent tube lead to mercury poisoning? « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 03:32:18 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
No it cant. Ive broken plenty and I'm no more mad hatter than I was in the first place.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies