Author Topic: What happen if I run a MV lamp without a ballast?  (Read 941 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
What happen if I run a MV lamp without a ballast? « on: July 05, 2019, 11:13:24 PM » Author: Binarix128
I have a doubt:Can I connect a MV, HPS or MH lamp directly to my house power line (220V 50Hz)? It maybe explode?  :mv: :hps:

And what happen if I run a SBMV lamp on a ballast?  ???
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happen if I run a MV lamp without a ballast? « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:37:45 PM » Author: Medved
Probe start (mainly MV): I would expect it trips the breaker and very likely destroy the electrodes. Arctube could explode as well...
Pulse start (HPS, most MHs for 230V markets,...): Most likely nothing, as there is nothing to ignite the discharge and so make it conductive. However if it ignites the discharge, the sam ka-boom as with probe start.
On 120V very likely nothing happen, as the mains voltage is too low to ignite the discharge in any common lamp. But if it does ignite, it goes ka-boom...

SBMV on a ballast: Depends, what is the ballast voltage at the load the lamp presenrs. With standard 230V arrangements it will run just dimmer.
However in 120V areas it may blow the filament (if the ballast current is greater than the lamp designed current), because the ballasts use to have around 220V (or more) OCV, what would be seen as the supply by the lamp.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What happen if I run a MV lamp without a ballast? « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:24:24 AM » Author: dor123
Here is a video of 100W and 500W SBMV lamps working on 250W MV ballasts.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies