Author Topic: Who came up with idea first?  (Read 2357 times)
vytautas_lamps

View Posts
View Gallery

My idol is Mylene Farmer, deal with it.

Who came up with idea first? « on: December 26, 2018, 05:26:38 AM » Author: vytautas_lamps
I just had one thought late last night and I couldn't sleep because of it. Who came up with the idea of injecting mercury in a fluorescent tube wia glass capsule that is broken after final ceiling of the cathode mount? Was it Philips? I really want to know!  ;D

New lighting technologies is a pity fest everywhere you look. From LEDs that last only for two months, to a never-ending global starvation of t8 fluorescent tubes.
We shall reinforce ourselves with good old full mercury t12s and HIDs made to surpass one's life, and give them all the middle finger ;

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:58:24 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Origins
Cooper Hewitt lamp, 1903

Charles Wheatstone observed the spectrum of an electric discharge in mercury vapor in 1835, and noted the ultraviolet lines in that spectrum. In 1860, John Thomas Way used arc lamps operated in a mixture of air and mercury vapor at atmospheric pressure for lighting.[3] The German physicist Leo Arons (1860–1919) studied mercury discharges in 1892 and developed a lamp based on a mercury arc.[4] In February 1896 Herbert John Dowsing and H. S. Keating of England patented a mercury vapour lamp, considered by some to be the first true mercury vapour lamp.[5]

The first mercury vapor lamp to achieve widespread success was invented in 1901 by American engineer Peter Cooper Hewitt.[6] Hewitt was issued U.S. Patent 682,692 on September 17, 1901.[7] In 1903, Hewitt created an improved version that possessed higher color qualities which eventually found widespread industrial use.[6] The ultraviolet light from mercury vapor lamps was applied to water treatment by 1910. The Hewitt lamps used a large amount of mercury. In the 1930s, improved lamps of the modern form, developed by the Osram-GEC company, General Electric company and others led to widespread use of mercury vapor lamps for general lighting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-vapor_lamp

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:08:39 AM » Author: Medved
But the question was in my understanding not about using the mercury in discharge in general, but about the specific manufacturing method of dosing the mercury by using the capsule then bursted open after tube sealing, instead of the traditional injection of liquid mercury droplet directly into the tube before sealing.

No more selfballasted c***

vytautas_lamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:45:50 AM » Author: vytautas_lamps
Yes, the information Ryan provided was interesting, although it did not answer my question. I really want to know who came up with idea of cracking mercury capsule inside sealed tube to safely dose mercury into the finished tube?

New lighting technologies is a pity fest everywhere you look. From LEDs that last only for two months, to a never-ending global starvation of t8 fluorescent tubes.
We shall reinforce ourselves with good old full mercury t12s and HIDs made to surpass one's life, and give them all the middle finger ;

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:25 AM » Author: Max
The mercury dosage of fluorescent tubes via a capsule was developed by J. Ridders, R. van der Wolf and A. Mollet at Philips (the Netherlands) in the late 1960s. The first patent on this technology was filed in June 1969 and published in December the following year.
vytautas_lamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 05:32:25 AM » Author: vytautas_lamps
The mercury dosage of fluorescent tubes via a capsule was developed by J. Ridders, R. van der Wolf and A. Mollet at Philips (the Netherlands) in the late 1960s. The first patent on this technology was filed in June 1969 and published in December the following year.
Thank you very much! I thought that mercury capsule was invented a bit earlyer. I was on this forum for almost 7 years now, and i am still such a novice to all this. I can rewire 4 lamp f40t12 troffer in few minutes with my eyes closed, but regarding history and physics of things, i am dead there 😂

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:40:23 AM » Author: Max
That's why the forum is such a useful place to exchange knowledge (if it is not cluttered with garbage posts, that is).
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who came up with idea first? « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 05:31:24 PM » Author: James
Thanks for the interesting question, and the reply Max!  I had been looking for that patent for some time.

Now how about its successor, do you know when that was introduced and by whom?  The first Philips mercury capsules were broken open by using a metal wire welded to the cathode shield, to crack the glass capsule open when the lamp entered the magnetic field of an induction heater.  However I remember visiting Philips Roosendaal in the 1990s and then they were introducing a new method, with a modified mercury capsule made of green coloured glass.  The lamps first passed infront of an infrared lamp which heated the capsule and vaporised the mercury, and then an Nd:YAG infrared laser beam was shot at the capsule and melted a small hole in its side to let the mercury vapour escape - the wavelength of the laser and the absorption spectrum of the glass being chosen so as to pass through the clear glass of the lamp and only melt through the inner mercury capsule.  As far as I know this technique was maybe only ever implemented for CFL lamps, where the mercury capsule resides in the exhaust tube instead of on the stem mount assembly.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies