Author Topic: Exploding Incandescent Lamp  (Read 6766 times)
form109
Exploding Incandescent Lamp « on: October 16, 2008, 03:03:15 PM » Author: form109
out of the blue one of the philips 150 watt incandescent lamps that i had in a celling fan decided to literally explode :o,the bulb ruptured sending glass everywhere,any explanation for this stange hapening? ???
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:18:06 PM » Author: sparkie
Ah yes, this has happened to me in the past!

Most probably an arc caused by the filament breaking while lit (maybe it was old and/or being shaken by vibrations from the fan motor.

When a filament breaks in this way it causes an arc to form across the supports, and this arc has negative resistance. So as a result a few hundred amps flow across it, as the current is limited only by the resistance of the circuit wiring.
The arc goes out when a fuse or circuit breaker trips, this is usually within milliseconds of the arc's birth but this is enough time for the massive surge of heat created by the arc to shatter the bulb... a bit like running a HID lamp without a ballast  :o
form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:23:54 PM » Author: form109
the fan was on low speed so it didnt vibrate much,the bulbs were new old stock phillips bulbs still in the original cartons.
sotonsteve

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:26:02 AM » Author: sotonsteve
In the days before you could get desk lamps with halogen capsule lamps I had a desk lamp with a 40w (I think) screw base incandescent lamp. One night, I switched it on, and the lamp went bang. The glass did not shatter or anything, the bulb part of the lamp separated itself from the metal screw base, came flying out of the lamp, bounced off the desk and onto the floor. Came as a bit of a surprise!
form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:19:12 PM » Author: form109
I've heard about this happening, but never seen the lamp EXPLODE just separate from the base probably from the heat
Mr. Big
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 10:49:45 PM » Author: Mr. Big
I've heard about this happening, but never seen the lamp EXPLODE just separate from the base probably from the heat
im really not sure what caused the lamp to fail in such a viloent manner this happened after opperating the bulb for 5 minutes,i dont know if it matters but the bulb was opperating base down,the lamp made a very loud poping sound when the bulb ruptured,but its not unexpected lately i have been having the most rotten luck with light bulbs.
form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:57:34 AM » Author: form109
Did it turn yellow before it exploded?
form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:00:22 AM » Author: form109
Did it turn yellow before it exploded?
no.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 11:56:40 AM » Author: icefoglights
I once had a weird thing happen to an incandescent lamp in my bedroom years ago.  It was kind of cold in there when I turned on the light.  When I turned it on, the bulb made a popping sound, but lit for several seconds before going out.  When I looked at it, the bulb had cracked and allowed air to get inside.  That one was coated in yellow inside from the filament burning up.
It was a GE bulb, but I don't remember if it was a 60 watt soft white, a 55 watt Miser or it may have been a 52 watt Energy Choice.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 01:35:48 PM » Author: FGS
I once had a weird thing happen to an incandescent lamp in my bedroom years ago.  It was kind of cold in there when I turned on the light.  When I turned it on, the bulb made a popping sound, but lit for several seconds before going out.  When I looked at it, the bulb had cracked and allowed air to get inside.  That one was coated in yellow inside from the filament burning up.
It was a GE bulb, but I don't remember if it was a 60 watt soft white, a 55 watt Miser or it may have been a 52 watt Energy Choice.

Probably thermal shock did the lamp. Same as pouring cold water on a hot lamp will cause it to crack. What your did was the heated gas inside the lamp started heating the top of the lamp while the rest remained cold. (That's what I think happened.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 08:33:27 PM » Author: lite_lover
It didn't exactly explode,but I remember one time when I was a little kid and was turning a small lamp off and on a bunch of times,then the bulb went out,made a bit of a farting sound and turned black and let out some smoke. :o

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 09:15:38 PM » Author: form109
one time i got a little water on a light bulb a small crack formed and then the bulb filled up with white smoke and went out.
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:43:29 AM » Author: sparkie
one time i got a little water on a light bulb a small crack formed and then the bulb filled up with white smoke and went out.

I did that too, many years ago. But I was not as lucky as you - the lamp didn't crack ... it went bang instead, sendng flying glass towards me  :o
form109
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:42 PM » Author: form109
@sparkie this might sound like a dumb question,but was it an incandescent lamp? ???
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Exploding Incandescent Lamp « Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 02:39:45 PM » Author: Silverliner
I had one that exploded. It was a Philips 90w Econ-o-watt inside frosted lamp. The cause was weird. The outer glass had a very slow leaking hairline crack. I left it on and later in the day I found the bulb had gone black and shattered!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies