Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190166 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #135 on: June 26, 2019, 09:37:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: fluorescent lover 40
Just go to Tornado Alley so see one! ;)
Too far away, otherwize that might have happened, (or happen in the future).
.LOL.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #136 on: June 28, 2019, 11:46:37 PM » Author: Cole D.
Just remember:
Rain is a good thing. The heavier the better.
Thunderstorms are awesomeness.
Thunderclouds are beautiful. So is Lightning.
Tornadoes are...well I'm gonna have to wait till I can hunt one down before I can find a word for it.

I love thunderstorms, especially when they're first approaching, the sky gets dark, wind increases and then the thunder starts. I don't like driving in heavy rain though, but when it's approaching it can be interesting to watch the wind pick up, etc.

We did get some storm today this evening with lightning. Wednesday, I was driving in afternoon and warning came on radio for a severe thunderstorm southeast of where I live, with hail and up to 60 MPH gusts possible. I didn't hear how bad it got, it was nearby the area where that overgrown GE Powr/Bracket is. Low lying area there means there are a lot of bad thunderstorms that build over there.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #137 on: June 29, 2019, 02:36:12 AM » Author: suzukir122
A couple nights ago I walked out of my job to chill with the bikes... my coworkers Yamaha, my bosses Harley, and my Triumph, while
eating a quick bite from the string bag I brought with me, that I filled with food. But as soon as I stepped out of the door,
I was instantly greeted by lightning from a distant Cumulonimbus cloud. That is the first thunderstorm scare I've ever had so far
while at work after bringing my bike. The weather forecast initially stated all storms would diminish after midnight. It
was midnight, and that storm cloud was there literally with lightning dancing around it. So of course, I knew it was either
strong or severe. One of the two... definitely not bad enough to think it was a supercell though, but still bad.
I went back in to immediately notify the coworker/friend who also brought his bike. His response was, "Dude, it's just heat
lightning." << That right there is known as an ESR. (Epic Stupid Response) That logic will definitely get his bike damaged
during severe weather someday. Despite how heavy the bikes are, I highly doubt they'll be able to withstand 60mph+ winds during
a severe thunderstorm. But yeah, of course I looked on radar and found that there was indeed a severe thunderstorm warned storm
heading directly towards the factory. Luckily the storm diminished very quickly before it reached the plant. It diminished so quickly
that even the green on radar was completely gone before it reached us. So we got absolutely no rain, and of course, my coworker
thought he was correct. :P

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #138 on: June 29, 2019, 09:54:36 AM » Author: CEB1993
Another heat wave on the way for us in the Deep South  :o I saw a long term forecast map yesterday that shows South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida all having much warmer than average temperatures possible for July.  We’re going to have temps. of about 97 with even higher heat indexes for Fourth of July. I know the hotter it is the stronger the afternoon thunderstorms are, so I’ll have to watch out for that too.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #139 on: June 29, 2019, 10:05:08 AM » Author: suzukir122
@CEB1993, seems as if you're kind of dealing with the same stuff we're dealing with in Ohio. Today we'll be only 7 degrees
less than you guys up in South Carolina. They're forecasting 90 degrees here, with the very small threat of a pop up shower
or garden variety thunderstorm. Nothing big in terms of storms, but the heat will definitely be felt.

Here's my issue: the more heat, the more centipedes here in my apartment. Very big and fast centipedes. Gnats are another problem.
Last night I literally killed 2 centipedes and 3 gnats with my bug spray... all within a 2 minute time frame. That... is... crazy.
I ☛​̳𝙒​̳𝙄​̳𝙇​̳𝙇 ̳☚ be moving to another apartment within the next 3 months, so I'm happy about that.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #140 on: June 29, 2019, 11:47:45 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Cole D.
I love thunderstorms, especially when they're first approaching

I don't like driving in heavy rain though

it was nearby the area where that overgrown GE Powr/Bracket is. Low lying area there means there are a lot of bad thunderstorms that build over there.
It is cool to watch one approach :)

I don't care for driving in heavy rain either...but hail is worse!

Interesting. The storms here tend to build over the mountains & other higher areas.

Quote from: suzukir122
That logic will definitely get his bike damaged during severe weather someday. Despite how heavy the bikes are, I highly doubt they'll be able to withstand 60mph+ winds during a severe thunderstorm.
There's also hail which could result in a bike full of dents .lol. but if you're at work what are you going to do? its not like you can just go hide your car/truck/motorcycle from the storm...

Quote from: CEB1993
   We’re going to have temps. of about 97 with even higher heat indexes for Fourth of July. I know the hotter it is the stronger the afternoon thunderstorms are, so I’ll have to watch out for that too.
We're having a few days with highs in the 90's here in Colorado too. (Summer has finally arrived! Personally I love a "nice hot dry day in the desert".) Then cool down into the 80's for next week.

In general it works just the opposite here, the hotter it is, the less chance for strong storms.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:51:50 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #141 on: June 29, 2019, 12:03:56 PM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, you bring up a good point, and I somehow forgot to mention this in my previous message: those storms
that night did contain hail. Not Supercell storm kind of hail, but smaller, quarter sized hail.

Interests:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #142 on: June 29, 2019, 04:27:49 PM » Author: Cole D.
I do not like tornadoes in person, but sometimes I watch videos of it on YouTube. But I either mute the sound or listen to the ones that don't have people screaming and yelling, because I find it annoying.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #143 on: June 29, 2019, 05:41:13 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Cole D, although I could never, ever mute the sound of a tornado, I highly agree with you... the screaming can be very
annoying. But one thing that pisses me off to a whole new level, is when the idiots start joking, laughing, and pointing
the camera away from the tornado like high school kids.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #144 on: June 30, 2019, 10:09:40 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122 link=topic=7216.msg61082#msg61082
those storms that night did contain hail. Not Supercell storm kind of hail, but smaller, quarter sized ail.
Quarter sized would be still big enough to cause vehicle damage though.

Quote from: Cole D. link=topic=7216.msg61083#msg61083
I do not like tornadoes in person, but sometimes I watch videos of it on YouTube. But I either mute the sound or listen to the ones that don't have people screaming and yelling, because I find it annoying.
I almost always watch tornado/hurricane/etc videos with the sound off because:
* I don't want to listen to listen to people blabbing like that....just be quiet and enjoy nature's creation!
* The sound of wind blowing across a microphone is really just an awful sound..anyone recording such storms should be using a microphone wind muff...but they don't.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #145 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:19 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, oh snap... I forgot about that. That's true... the wind noise hitting the mic. That wind noise hitting the mic
is also very annoying. I can't hear the roar of the tornado or the thunder... anything, because of that stupid wind noise.
When the wind finds it's way away from the mic though, the tornado sounds can be amazing. Even better with the added tornado sirens.
Case in point, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLdIXv8HAI
Almost ruined by the lady talking though, followed by another later on in the video.

Interests:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #146 on: June 30, 2019, 01:49:15 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Its suppose to rain thru Thursday. But next weekend where I live is gonna be hot in the middle 90's.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #147 on: June 30, 2019, 09:51:21 PM » Author: Lumex120
Not sure if you guys already know about him or not but there's this storm chaser I really like who goes by the name "Pecos Hank" on YT.
He's probably the best storm chaser around these days, his videos are beautifully edited and he gets some incredible footage.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAQpSHsgUcNt6uCOjpgD8kw

Unofficial LG Discord

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #148 on: June 30, 2019, 10:23:20 PM » Author: Cole D.
Not sure if you guys already know about him or not but there's this storm chaser I really like who goes by the name "Pecos Hank" on YT.
He's probably the best storm chaser around these days, his videos are beautifully edited and he gets some incredible footage.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAQpSHsgUcNt6uCOjpgD8kw

Oh yes, I've watched a few of his videos, like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jkfnIBJRBQ

He does make some fabulous videos.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #149 on: June 30, 2019, 11:40:40 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah I've posted a YouTube link on this thread, or another one, to the video he created about Supercell Thunderstorms.
I definitely know about Pecos. lol

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies