Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 194893 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #315 on: January 12, 2020, 12:46:37 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
Another storm system coming this week.
Yep. Saw that..
Areas for potential thunderstorm activity Mon & Tue are:

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #316 on: January 12, 2020, 04:28:01 PM » Author: CEB1993
I kinda figured this would happen @CEB1993. Warm weather + winter, typically = dangerous spring like thunderstorms

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t a tornado that hit near my house last night. It was too dark to see any funnel clouds, but the type of damage done in the yard definitely indicates a tornado touchdown. I had two huge branches fall down, a wooden sign was ripped of the side of the house, and both of my Adirondack lounge chairs were GONE!  One was picked up and blown 20 feet away into the woods next to the house and I couldn’t find the other one. Terrifying how powerful and unpredictable these things are  :o

To add insult to injury, the power has been out all day for me  ??? More large trees were blown down and some power lines in the neighborhood were severely damaged.  At least the house itself was not damaged and both of my cars were unharmed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:50:09 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #317 on: January 12, 2020, 07:46:45 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I'm definitely not in the strongest part of it this week, but not like Friday night though. But this week its gonna rain and storm all week.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:48:18 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #318 on: January 13, 2020, 07:13:22 AM » Author: migette1
We are so lucky living in UK near London just look at the fires in Australia the severe winds in America is this all down to global warming? makes you think, our winters seem to be getting warmer remember the 60s with severe snow and freezing conditions even froze one of my cacti and that was in a heated greenhouse. Yes I feel the cold and Spring cannot come quicker, being on Warfarin blood thinners does not help always feel cold.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #319 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:40 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I'm planning on making a Arduino based lightning detector using the AS3935 lightning detector module. Since I have a Arduino Mega 2560 I can make a lightning logger using a LCD that tells you the miles that lightning struck, and will track the storm progression. Probably maybe will be getting another Arduino, possibly the UNO version. Although they're already Arduino based lightning detectors available in the internet. Might try them.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #320 on: January 13, 2020, 05:12:34 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Well, more rain and storms tomorrow. But cloudy on Wednesday. Plus a cold front is expected to arrive this weekend in Southeast Texas.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #321 on: January 13, 2020, 08:05:20 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
I’d be shocked if it wasn’t a tornado that hit near my house last night. It was too dark to see any funnel clouds, but the type of damage done in the yard definitely indicates a tornado touchdown.
I do see one report of a tornado in SC for the 11th, and multiple reports for wind(non-tornado) damage.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #322 on: January 13, 2020, 10:02:47 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
I'm planning on making a Arduino based lightning detector
Oooh how cool :o

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #323 on: January 15, 2020, 10:57:04 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Five inches of rain last night and three more coming today.
8 inches of rain --- 8 inches sounds like a number we might get here...but it'd be snow not rain! (so that'd be less than an inch of water)
Hope you don't get too much flooding there.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #324 on: January 15, 2020, 11:25:44 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Strong cold front coming on Saturday evening, which will blow all of the dense fog that we have now.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #325 on: January 16, 2020, 06:42:11 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I'm rebuilding the detector that I posted few days ago, on some proto boards, and it will have a rechargeable 12v battery and it will have a project box a big one.  :)

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #326 on: January 16, 2020, 08:43:56 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Storm here today, and one coming on Sunday. :-\

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #327 on: January 16, 2020, 09:01:11 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
The streams are full and up to the bottom of the bridges. Many low lying residences next to rivers and streams are close to being flooded.
Whoa :o Hopefully you guys won't get any more rain til things dry out there!

Quote from: lightinglover8902
I'm rebuilding the detector that I posted
Nice. Personally I really like the idea of doing an Audrino or Raspberry-Pi based one. If I decide to try building anything, that's probably the way I'll go.

--------------
No severe weather here. (none expected anytime soon either)
There is a chance of wind tomorrow, and possibly gusts up to 70mph though.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #328 on: January 16, 2020, 09:06:50 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Slight chance of rain or snow tomorrow (rain in January?? LOL yeah right..)

Another (better) chance of snow next wed/thu.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #329 on: January 17, 2020, 06:57:49 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Possible snowstorm tomorrow here.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies