Author Topic: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it!  (Read 6357 times)
xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #180 on: August 11, 2019, 10:30:11 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Where I'm at, we only got a little bit of rain, but the eastern part of the state had lots of thunderstorms/heavy rain/hail...multiple storms got severe-warned, and even some tornado-warned. 

Would have loved to have gotten a good rain/thunder storm...the hail can stay away though .lol.

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

CEB1993

View Gallery

Camden

Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #181 on: August 13, 2019, 03:33:57 PM » Author: CEB1993
Last weekend in east Tennessee, we had three 90 degree days with nearly 100 degree heat indexes.  It was brutal to be walking around amusement parks and towns in that kind of heat.  I drank a lot of fluids and wore a hat to protect myself from sunburn.  My hottest trip to Gatlinburg ever!  Other than the intense heat, I had a good time  Cool

Back home in SC today, we hit nearly 100 degrees with an even hotter heat index.  The extreme humidity is fueling some isolated severe thunderstorms this afternoon. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #182 on: August 13, 2019, 06:01:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Nothing where I'm at...but on the eastern edge of CO today, there were multiple severe-warned storms, and some tornado-warned storms too. I know atleast one of them dropped a tornado.
(I shoulda grabbed a radar screenshot when the storms/warnings were up)

Those storms then moved off into Nebraska & Kansas, where they continue to run.

Cole D.

View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #183 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:08 PM » Author: Cole D.
It's been mostly getting to the high 80s here, not high 90s like it was a few weeks ago. But with the humidity it still gets quite hot. Most days it has been raining, but nothing particularly heavy like we were having last month. It's been raining earlier too, such as around noon or sometimes in morning, rather than waiting until late afternoon. Probably why we haven't had as many severe storms or lightning. Either Saturday or Sunday we did get get a storm with some loud thunder for a bit.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #184 on: August 14, 2019, 05:50:15 AM » Author: suzukir122
A couple nights ago we got a strong thunderstorm that did not get strong enough to prompt a warning. (Wasn't severe) It was
during a night that I called off from work due to very serious depression I've been facing. Very late at night though, around 4am.
This storm was strong, with almost severe criteria kind of lightning, but not quite. Lots of close strikes though so
very loud thunder, and very heavy rain. My enjoyment was interrupted by a bad stomach ache, followed by vomiting.
I'm guessing the bad food that I ate earlier the previous day finally caught up to me at that point. Anyways, I didn't get to watch
the rest of the storm thanks to that, but what I saw was still entertaining.
My little bro, (YouTube/RT Spacer) was also up, and he even sent a text about how the storm woke him up and that
it seemed serious. haha

Interests
1. Motorcycles, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weighting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Yep
Lighting has been a passion of mine since I was born. I consider everyone on LG to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #185 on: August 14, 2019, 05:27:04 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yesterday evening I had a small thundershower pass over where I live. Not severe, but after it passed I went out & got a good look at the cloud at sunset. That one was a really cool looking storm!

The round of afternoon large severe/tornadic storms out east I mentioned a few posts back created what's called an 'outflow boundary'
which in this case headed west, towards the mountains...later at night - after 9pm, got there and fired off another round of storms, one of which got severe-warned. Even the non-severe ones had pretty active lightning Smiley I sat & watched for a bit, I tried videoing one of them...not sure how/if it turned out.

edit#1:
Looking at the radar: there is now a couple storms at the eastern edge of CO that have gone severe-warned.

edit#2:
And one of those got tornado-warned.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:03:45 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Cole D.

View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #186 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:37 PM » Author: Cole D.
It have been very wet here. We have had flood watches along all river areas due to the excessive rain has brought the rivers above flood stage in many areas.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #187 on: August 17, 2019, 06:02:17 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, yep that right there is one thing I like about storms. The storm stages. They pop up, they get strong, then
severe, and then tornadic. (Supercell) It's awesome when this happens, unless of course there's loss of life because of it.

Interests
Yep
Lighting has been a passion of mine since I was born. I consider everyone on LG to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #188 on: August 17, 2019, 08:35:53 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Yep.. the various growth stages/cycles are cool..and you could say basically fascinating to watch.

And ofcourse there's the cyclic supercells that'll that'll drop a tornado, then weaken some, then re-strengthen, then do another tornado (and go on through that cycle multiple times). To actually go see/follow one of those along would be awesome!

Earlier this week, the one I mentioned as a "really cool looking" was basically a nice mothership-ish cloud-structure Smiley (never severe-warned, just a nice little storm, and short lived too - it died out not that long after passing by)
There was another the day before that was farther south, which also got the same mothership-ish look.

But this week, almost every evening there have been multiple severe-warned storms (and some tornado warned) in the northeastern part of CO.
(being well over 100 miles away, its just way too far to go see any...)

@Cole D:
I'd love to see some of that rain here instead...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:44:44 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #189 on: August 18, 2019, 06:22:26 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, That's really, really strange that you saw a mothership style thunderstorm that wasn't a Supercell. Maybe it was a strong
thunderstorm gearing up to become severe/Supercell, but the ingredients for it to continue building just wasn't there. I don't know lol
but Supercells typically have that distinct UFO look to them, with the embedded Mesocyclone.

Interests
Yep

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Its severe weather season! Be prepared for it! « Reply #190 on: August 18, 2019, 08:54:20 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@@suzukir122:
Yep I was a bit surprised to see a smaller/non-severe storm with that look...but it was also growing pretty quickly. So maybe it was getting a mesocyclone going, and on its way to becoming a stronger/severe storm.

It was headed east, and there was an outflow-boundary from earlier severe storms headed west...when they met (which I was watching on radar) it basically killed the storm (and the section of the boundary that met it). Boring. I thought maybe they'd merge & really enhance that storm! (which is why I went outside to watch once they were meeting eachother. Atleast I got to see a really cool cloud Smiley )

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines