Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190163 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #570 on: April 18, 2020, 05:36:27 PM » Author: Cole D.
Most this week was between 85 and 96 and sunny. Yet Thursday it was windy and rainy part of the day, as well as cloudy and only about 64 degrees out. Friday was warmer, and sunnier, but then we had a rainshower for about 30 minutes about 6PM. Today it was back to 80s out but cloudy in morning. Then around 12PM, we had heavy rainstorm with some severe lightning. Then that passed and now it sunny and beautiful out. So lots of weather this week here.

They're saying tornado risk again tomorrow, like the pattern of last Sunday.  :(

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #571 on: April 19, 2020, 11:57:54 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Cole D.
They're saying tornado risk again tomorrow, like the pattern of last Sunday.  :(
Yep.. it looks like there's going to be another round of violent weather :o
Hopefully there won't be a tornado outbreak like last week's. (a setup like the forecasts show pretty much says there will be tornadoes...lets hope it just stays as the weak EF-0/EF-1 ones)

---------
Storm outlook maps for today are attached below.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #572 on: April 21, 2020, 04:37:36 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm not sure if this actually happened, but it is a good story:

At the height of the gale the harbour master radioed a coastguard on the spot and asked him to estimate the wind speed. He replied that he was sorry, but he didn't have a gauge. However if it was any help, the wind had just blown his Land Rover off the cliff.! :poof:  :lol:

This was supposedly in one of our local papers, though I have no idea when.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:53:27 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #573 on: April 22, 2020, 04:46:25 PM » Author: CEB1993
Yep.. it looks like there's going to be another round of violent weather :o
Hopefully there won't be a tornado outbreak like last week's. (a setup like the forecasts show pretty much says there will be tornadoes...lets hope it just stays as the weak EF-0/EF-1 ones)

---------
Storm outlook maps for today are attached below.

They're calling for heavy rain and thunderstorms here tomorrow. No chance of tornadoes this time but we might get some heavy downpours and gusty winds tomorrow. On Saturday, we might get some isolated severe thunderstorms with hail possible. I guess the nice April weather wasn't going to last forever. Definitely the time of year for some of our wildest weather.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #574 on: April 23, 2020, 03:01:01 AM » Author: Lumex120
Here's an absolutely insane video of a tornado that was in Oklahoma yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73ZVT56Sz4

Unofficial LG Discord

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #575 on: April 23, 2020, 03:06:58 AM » Author: suzukir122
@LUMEX120! BROOOO... 54 seconds into the video you linked and my mind already went  :poof:
Check that video out ya'll! High quality detail of serious tornadic destruction! That wasn't even an F5!
But look what it did! That was awesome!

*Also,* this video will probably go viral... check out the comment section with people popping up within just minutes...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:15:37 AM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #576 on: April 23, 2020, 01:51:43 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
When I looked at the weather in the morning & seeing the storm outlooks for yesterday, I'm not surprised there was tornadoes. Everytime I looked at radar (random times during the day til about midnight) there was atleast one tornado-warned storm somewhere. .. .looks like storms probably went on all night too. 
Saw a few tornado warnings on radar this morning & looking just now there's 2 in GA.

----------
@CEB1993:
Not sure where in SC you are, but part of your state is in the convective outlook highlighted area (and tornado outlook as well)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #577 on: April 23, 2020, 10:52:20 PM » Author: Cole D.
We have forecast of rain storms late tonight, although I haven't heard any yet, through tomorrow morning. Then more coming in afternoon to about 4PM. Possibly Friday night/early Saturday morning as well and then again later Saturday afternoon. Probably cloudy for the weekend.

So lots of thunderstorms, and up to 3" of rain predicted, and possibility of tornadoes tomorrow morning, and high winds.

Seems now to fit the pattern of storms coming each weekend.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:54:11 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #578 on: April 24, 2020, 01:35:21 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Lumex120, here's a video that isn't as good, of the same Oklahoma tornado. It's a compilation. Main reason why I bring
this up is because the first video in the compilation has a different angle of the area in Pecos Hanks video. Pecos Hanks car was in that video shot.
Unfortunately the person filming stopped filming very quickly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tebnW3dyEcc

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #579 on: April 26, 2020, 12:06:04 AM » Author: CEB1993
I got SLAMMED with severe thunderstorms today  :o We had three storms in a row “train” trough northwest SC each with gusty winds and heavy rain. The final storm that struck at about 9:10 p.m. produced dime sized hail, two tornadoes and a blast of heavy rain. We had marble sized hail and at least 2 confirmed tornadoes in my county.

We had to seek shelter at work tonight and anxiously wait for the storms to pass. Fortunately they were fast moving. We sheltered for about 15 min and the power went out. Ended up going home from work a few minutes early and having to detour on my way home because the roads were a mess and power was out everywhere. Many trees down and several car wrecks. Thank the Lord my car didn’t get hail damage!

Scary thing about today’s storms is how suddenly they struck. I’ll be excited to see the news reports to see how strong the tornadoes were. It’s been a remarkable April for the South so far with many tornadoes and unfortunately a few deaths.

Check out below for the radar images in my area.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #580 on: April 26, 2020, 12:55:13 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@CEB1993:
I was radar-watching some of those tornado-warned storms in SC earlier tonight.

A couple interesting city names I saw on the map: Travlers Rest, & Welcome . sometimes its fun just to go looking at names of all the little towns in an area when checking out storms... :)

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #581 on: April 26, 2020, 02:37:27 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah those might've been weaker Supercells @CEB1993. They definitely have that Supercell look to them.
Seems like individual Supercells pack the bigger punch most of the time compared to embedded Supercells within Squall-Lines.
Luckily they weren't quite at that strength though, but they could've gotten there from what I see on that radar. Glad you're ok!
Nice Drone in that advertisement at the bottom of the screen btw. haha

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #582 on: April 26, 2020, 08:05:25 AM » Author: CEB1993
Yeah those might've been weaker Supercells @CEB1993. They definitely have that Supercell look to them.
Seems like individual Supercells pack the bigger punch most of the time compared to embedded Supercells within Squall-Lines.
Luckily they weren't quite at that strength though, but they could've gotten there from what I see on that radar. Glad you're ok!
Nice Drone in that advertisement at the bottom of the screen btw. haha

Thanks Suzukir122! Definitely ready for some calmer weather today. Yeah, these were super cells. They weren’t part of a big squall line or a cold front. The damage around my workplace was the most severe in town. Below is a picture of the tornado that touched down on Laurens Road about 5 miles away from where I was yesterday  :o This picture was submitted to our local news company. Really a beautiful example of a swirling funnel cloud!

@ Xmaslightguy, we do indeed have some unique town names in my region  :) Travelers Rest in the north part of the county was one of the hardest hit yesterday with quarter sized hail and tons of wind damage. Wade Hampton blvd. is a major road through the middle of my town. Many familiar stores on that road were torn up by wind damage. Was not expecting to ride out a tornado yesterday, but I survived  8)

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #583 on: April 26, 2020, 08:53:23 AM » Author: suzukir122
@CEB1993,  :o Yeah that is definitely a Supercell, dropping a tornado in this case. Definitely a dangerous situation
right there. You lucked out man because of course, that situation would've been much worse had that storm
been stronger. But that was Supercell storms that went over you. I wonder what that tornado strength was? Definitely
not F4 or higher, but I'm betting it was at least an F2 or maybe F3.
I'm also glad you didn't get a direct hit from it!

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #584 on: April 26, 2020, 04:09:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@CEB1993:
To me unique city names are a good thing.

That's quite an impressive looking supercell (honestly -disregarding the damage they do- they're beautiful clouds)
Glad you're ok

I shoulda did radar screengrabs of the velocity & hail-core on that thing.

@suzukir122:
Yep be interesting to see what its rated after they do the DI
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:15:08 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies