Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190070 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #615 on: June 07, 2020, 12:16:12 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Got hit by some very strong winds (70-80mph) today from a storms/squall line that passed over the house.
Took down a large elm in the backyard. Need to wander the yard/garden/house more today to see if there is any other damage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:10:14 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #616 on: June 08, 2020, 03:30:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Update:
That squall line that I got hit by on Sat was upgraded to a Derecho, so even stronger/more widespread than initially thought.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #617 on: June 08, 2020, 06:21:08 PM » Author: CEB1993
It’s been kind of quiet here lately as far as severe weather goes. Just typical SC summer weather, hot and humid with scattered thunderstorms most afternoons. We have a higher chance of thunderstorms on Wednesday with potential for gusty winds, so I’ll keep y’all posted on that.

Tropical storm Bertha made landfall in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach last week. It was mostly a rain event with weak winds and not too much storm surge. It moved straight north and I didn’t feel any effects inland. It’s that time of year to be alert. SC has a rough past with strong hurricanes and I’ve ridden one out in 2017. Even inland they can cause serious damage with flooding and strong winds.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #618 on: June 09, 2020, 09:16:27 PM » Author: suzukir122
Where it stands now: we're in a moderate risk for tornadoes tomorrow, which is a very rare, higher risk.
I'm gonna have to keep an eye on things I guess.
Here in Franklin Ohio, especially at the apartment complex I live in, I could definitely see a tornado wiping this apartment
complex off the map someday. lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #619 on: June 09, 2020, 10:53:42 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I don't know about the rest of you but severe weather stresses me out these days because I fear that if it causes damage to my home, Ill loose all my stuff including my entire lighting collection.

Administrator #5

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #620 on: June 09, 2020, 11:20:59 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Lightingguy1994, see, that's the bad part about it. If the thunderstorms bring about life threatening situations,
I could loose everything I've worked so hard for. That, and fatalities... very bad. So yeah even though I'm
highly interested in thunderstorms along with the tornadoes they bring, I too get a little bit stressed out about
it at times.
It's sooo weird because when I was a kid, I was actually much, much more stressed out about it than I am now, although
I know to always respect the power of thunderstorms.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #621 on: June 10, 2020, 10:29:57 PM » Author: Cole D.
I don't worry about thunderstorms as much, except for getting hit by the lightning, if outside, and also power surges. Sometimes though, they form tornadoes, which we had happen in my state, last Saturday with these small intense storms that formed and moved northward. There was actually a tornado watch for most of the area on Saturday.

This evening, it got cloudy and windy, but no thunder or heavy storms, other than a sprinkle. But now the last half hour or so I hear thunder outside my window. There is a large shower I see on radar, but actually seems to be moving away, and I don't hear any rain.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #622 on: June 11, 2020, 03:41:22 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Im moving to the midwest soon so the treat of tornados is gonna be interesting. We do get bad thunderstorms in virginia in the summer as i have got 3 in the past two weeks one of which killed my internet for the rest of the day.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #623 on: June 11, 2020, 07:39:36 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Im moving to the midwest soon so the treat of tornados is gonna be interesting. We do get bad thunderstorms in virginia in the summer as i have got 3 in the past two weeks one of which killed my internet for the rest of the day.

Well today it now looks like its gonna be another stormy night in my area.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #624 on: June 11, 2020, 09:15:37 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
With the exception of hail, I really have no fear of thunderstorms.

That Derecho that hit here last Saturday would be an example..something the weather radio called a 'very dangerous storm' and said something about seeking shelter on the lowest level of a building...

...did I hide from it? heck no! I went to the roof to video it coming in .LOL. Once the very edge with light rain/small hail & blasting wind arrived I went back inside (wind got so strong it was a bit difficult to walk). Then I watched from inside as heavy rain was pouring down & the strong wind was thrashing.

Didn't last long before it was over & done though. There's the large tree of mine that went down, and I saw others around the area as well.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #625 on: June 12, 2020, 10:49:54 AM » Author: suzukir122
Off topic for a split second...
@xmaslightguy, I'm just now noticing your profile picture. I already noticed the black screen, but then as I was
reading your message on here, I saw a flash from your profile picture. Then I was like:  "*:o .....  :wndr:  :wndr:.... what did I just...
OOOOHHHH, that's what it was. Now get it." hahaha
I didn't notice the lightning bolts until just now.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #626 on: June 12, 2020, 12:01:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
The lightning is new..one 'strike' every 9 seconds (longest delay you can do in a .gif). When doing it, I figured why not do the lightning in different colors instead of all white...
Purposely tried to keep animation to a minimum (but still might have to put the other back up if it proves to be to annoying .lol. )

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #627 on: June 12, 2020, 06:23:30 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, some people might find it annoying, but I find it hilarious! I have absolutely no idea why though lol

Today, tomorrow, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, seems to be a nice long break from thunderstorms/severe thunderstorms. (Based on forecast)
It was really nice out today. I went out in the car and got some restaurant food. I didn't feel like motorcycle riding
today though, which is odd considering how absolutely amazing the weather is today.

So far in terms of my original thought about severe weather being absolutely astonishing this year, I've been wrong. (Thankfully.)
But we still have a long way to go before fall and winter (THANKFULLY 2x) I hate winter.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #628 on: June 12, 2020, 08:57:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Maybe because the oddball colors? Who's ever seen a green lightning strike?

-----------
Other than that thing which whipped through here last weekend, its been a whole lot of nothing, day after day after day...
I still have yet to have had a good thunderstorm this year.

I ask 2 things of mother nature (as separate entities):
* A thunderstorm that gives a good lightning show .. close enough so I have a good view, but just far enough so its not raining where I'm (so I can sit out on the roof & watch/video it.)
* Rain, lots of rain, the more. the better!

...I know...in both cases, wishful thinking...when you live in a semi-desert.. .lol.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #629 on: June 21, 2020, 04:27:50 PM » Author: suzukir122
We just got rocked. Strong thunderstorm hit us. I just woke up and managed to see part of the base cloud
as it was already beginning to pour down. The base cloud had already passed. That's when it got serious for a bit.
Very heavy rain, high winds. The lightning began increasing as the storm passed, and now that the storm has passed,
seems as if it got stronger. Much more thunder can be heard, and it is now severe storm warned.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies