Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190053 times)
LandryB

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #660 on: August 16, 2020, 09:05:50 PM » Author: LandryB
Just remember:
Rain is a good thing. The heavier the better.
Thunderstorms are awesomeness.
Thunderclouds are beautiful. So is Lightning.
Tornadoes are...well I'm gonna have to wait till I can hunt one down before I can find a word for it.

I love thunderstorms & lightning. Here, we get them mostly from May - September.  We haven't got one here in the past couple of weeks.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #661 on: August 16, 2020, 11:24:07 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@LandryB:
Similar period for storms here: late May through Sept. (that said we don't get very many in a season)
Been basically nothing here rain-wize for the past couple weeks.

The issue here right now isn't severe-weather, but wildfires in the mountains. There's 4 main ones going on now, (and with everything being so dry up there it wouldn't take much for more to start...a 'dry thunderstorm'(which there is a chance of having some afternoons this week) or someone being careless - say for example someone being careless & flicking a cigarette butt on the ground is all it would take). Where I'm at there's times the smoke has gotten pretty bad, even though I'm nowhere near any of them.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #662 on: August 22, 2020, 12:00:59 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Theres a potential hurricane headed my area, which its gonna become tropical storm Marco then turning into a cat 1 hurricane as it may move on to the gulf.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #663 on: August 22, 2020, 05:09:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
We've mostly had the heavy afternoon thunderstorms every day. Yesterday was a bit different, since the storm started later in the day and not much lightning in it. Plus it continued to rain lightly well until late in the night.

Today has been overcast all day but no rain yet.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #664 on: August 22, 2020, 10:38:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
Over here we had a nearby thunderstorm that never reached us. It was obvious that it was increasing in strength,
since thunder and lightning began increasing quickly. Radar imagery confirmed that for me. But as quickly as it grew in strength,
it began dying out within minutes. Thunder decreased, and it started dissipating on radar. That was awesome...
The base cloud was also there, but it wasn't organized and well defined like with Severe or Supercell storms.
That cloud was definitely dropping some lightning bolts during its strengthening, although it never reached Severe status.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #665 on: August 22, 2020, 11:19:01 PM » Author: CEB1993
Looks like both tropical storms Laura and Marco will impact the Gulf Coast. They may intersect and bring tons of rain to LA and MS. I've heard that if two hurricanes intersect, they will both begin to fall apart and weaken. Something about conflicting wind shear or rotation. It's definitely an unusual situation to have two tropical systems in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time, that are both due to make landfall at nearly the same time.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #666 on: August 23, 2020, 01:43:58 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@CEB1993:
They could interact in a few different ways...
merge into a single larger storm, break each other apart, or rotate around eachother in whats called the Fujiwhara effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwhara_effect

-------------
Its going to be very interesting (atleast to me) to see what happens if they do come close enough to interact...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #667 on: August 26, 2020, 02:12:41 PM » Author: suzukir122
Spot light is now on Hurricane Laura, forecasted to become a Category 4 storm as it hits the coasts. This is now life threatening.
Hopefully everyone heeds the warnings.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #668 on: August 26, 2020, 11:47:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Yep..high-end cat-4. deff going  to be some serious damage from that beast.

Image below:
radar - reflectivity (rain) , radar - velocity (wind speed) , satellite  
The red boxed areas on radar are tornado warnings.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:24:22 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #669 on: August 30, 2020, 08:53:29 AM » Author: dor123
We are at the beginning of an extreme heat wave. Today there is 34*C (93.2*F) at Kiryat Ata and 48*C (118.4*F) at Tiberias.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:56:58 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #670 on: August 30, 2020, 09:16:44 AM » Author: merc
Two days ago a strong thunderstorm surprised me while cycling. The sky turned black in a couple of minutes and torrential rain changed the road to a sort of river. The wind blows were so strong that I had problems to withstand them and having no other shelter I had to hide to a forest through which I slowly continued in my way home. The lightnings were bright and long. I counted the the sound delay and it was one to two seconds. I came home as wet as if I had fallen to water, dirty of mud and sand.
Not a kind of experience I'd appreciate much.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #671 on: August 30, 2020, 02:53:25 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Merc, that's an all around bad situation lol... they say you should stay away from trees during thunderstorms. Being around trees on
a metallic bike... that could've ended badly. I'm glad you're alright man.

@Dor123... 118 degrees is insane... I wonder what the "feels like" temperature would be at that point? Those kind of temps can
definitely be fatal, so hopefully you've got plenty of air conditioning over there.

Here in the U.S, hurricane Laura unfortunately ended up being fatal, killing 16 people. Things could've been worse though considering it's high
category, but I'm just glad not that many people perished from it compared to what I thought might've been the case.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #672 on: September 07, 2020, 05:44:30 PM » Author: suzukir122
Severe thunderstorms have developed north of me (Dayton Ohio)... and also, tornado warning with possible tornado in Columbus Ohio right now.
Looks like possible Supercell storms over there based on what I see on radar

Interests:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #673 on: September 07, 2020, 11:44:51 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
That missed me fortunately (possible tornado) as I'm in the southern part of the county. I did , however , get a nice thunderstorm at about 8:00 pm with rather heavy rain and almost constant lightning ! :o

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #674 on: September 08, 2020, 08:02:49 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Wide-lite 1000, Did you get to hear the tornado sirens? (I doubt they activated near you but I figured I'd ask anyways)
Columbus has those awesome Whelen 4004's as their main tornado sirens, and those are the kind I grew up hearing a lot as
a kid, back when I lived in Stlouis Missouri lol

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies