Author Topic: Are there songs that remind you of lighting?  (Read 4358 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Are there songs that remind you of lighting? « on: March 13, 2019, 10:35:53 PM » Author: Cole D.
For me I have a memory as a child, where we went to a store and it had fluorescent strip lights. I remember looking at them and seeing the W logo in circle, and the Rick Astley song "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you" was playing. So I kind of associate Westinghouse bulbs with that song, even though it has nothing to do with it other than that memory of hearing it while seeing those bulbs. Even though at the time I didn't know what that W logo meant, as a child.

Now I guess that 80s song by Journey "Streetlight people" can remind one of streetlights. It makes me think of a GE M-400 for some reason when I hear it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:12:16 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:08:37 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup.  I remember as a kid riding in a car with my mom as she was driving us home.  It was at dusk and I was fixated on the MV streetlights coming on.  
The song that was playing was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmE-la99v20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLxBbAVCPQ

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:47:13 PM » Author: Cole D.
The other day I heard the song by These Dreams, by Heart and it reminded me of being a kid and looking at street lights. Because when I first took an interest in them, I was riding with my mom and I remember looking up at an AEL 165 and some GE M-400A2 fixtures and I remember that song was playing on the radio.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54:07 AM » Author: sol
Any song on the 1989 compilation "The Wild Ones" . We used to have the cassette and listen to it in the car. I especially remember it at night when the street lights were on (lots more MV back then) or in the period I referred to as the "street light zone" which is the time of dusk when you have a high probability of seeing HID street lights in various stages of warmup (or seeing them strike).

@Cole : That song seems appropriate for the Westinghouse lamps : "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..." can be interpreted to refer to their long life. 8)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 11:03:20 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Led Zeppelin- When the Levee Breaks is something I for whatever reason associate with clear mercury NEMAs.
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 10:44:51 AM » Author: mrboojay
Ellie Goulding’s “Lights”.  Purely by name does it make me think of lights.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 10:43:18 AM » Author: HPS_250
Journey - Don’t stop believing.

Especially when the lyrics say “Street lights, people!”

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:17:07 PM » Author: Cole D.
Journey - Don’t stop believing.

Especially when the lyrics say “Street lights, people!”

Yes that one does for me too, it reminds me of GE M-400. But I had seen a YouTube video of streetlights with that song playing.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 10:25:53 AM » Author: CEB1993
Cognitive Dissonance by Kevin MacLeod. This electronic song makes me think of fluorescent light assembly lines. It would be cool background music for a “how it’s made” video for fluorescent lights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RW87BRuLU

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 10:42:22 AM » Author: HPS_250
Also, “Vaporize” by Amos Lee.

The lyrics say, “I’m gonna just vaporize everything that’s inside it’s gonna get hot, hot, hot.”

For some reason this reminds me of an arc tube.  :lol:

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 07:50:47 AM » Author: CEB1993
“Sunday (B-Sides)” by Moby was a Weather Channel song years ago. It reminds me of a SOX lamp warm up. Really cool and unique electronic song.

“Ol’ 55” by the Eagles reminds me of my favorite old stock GE bulbs, 55 watt Misers.

“Neon” by John Mayer. Reminds me of old, buzzing neon lights and neon signs.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Is there songs that remind you of lighting « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 11:09:22 AM » Author: Cole D.
I just thought of another. Amy Grant, who sings one of my favorite Christmas songs, had a pop song that I thought said "baby, baby, I think we're in motion." Well when I first started paying attention to streetlights as a kid, I remember being in the car and that song was playing on the radio. Even though that song has nothing about lights, it just reminds me of that time.

Also Lifehouse has a song with the lyrics:

"Broken light on the freeway
Left me here alone
I may have lost my way now
Haven't forgotten my way home"

I don't know what broken light on the freeway means but I always thought of it as a broken streetlight.  ;D

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there songs that remind you of lighting? « Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 04:16:14 PM » Author: Michael
For some reason I got the link between Dona Summer with its hit “Bad Girl” and a long stretch of a main road in our town which was lit by large fluorescent street lights. Back then when I was four or fife I often listen to disco music and I remember during a car ride in the evening this track was playing in the radio and I was watching these street lights passing by. So for now if hear this music it reminds me these lights which are long gone.
Wireman
Re: Are there songs that remind you of lighting? « Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 01:10:20 PM » Author: Wireman
Two that definitely come to mind would be "Moving In Stereo" by The Cars. The strange buzzing sound at the beginning makes me think of MV streetlights firing up in the neighborhood when I was a kid. Actually the strange sound of this song reminds me of that familiar blue/green Glow.
Also "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits. When the song gets going, reminds me of the endless rows of Fluorescents striking up in my dad's auto shop at the start of the day. The song came on just as he turned on the lights one morning, I'll never forget it.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Are there songs that remind you of lighting? « Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 05:33:19 AM » Author: 589
Sam Hunt - Leave the night on

“ Girl, you got the beat right, killin' in your Levis
High on your loving's got me buzzin' like a streetlight ”

:lps:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies