Author Topic: What's been up with GE lately?  (Read 2432 times)
NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

What's been up with GE lately? « on: September 21, 2008, 10:16:56 PM » Author: NiMo
Graybar Electric Supply, where I work, is a GE distributor.  Since I first started there, I noticed one huge change in their HID lamp line-the bases.  Instead of brass bases, I noticed what amounts to super-sized versions of their classic aluminum bases with the cone-shaped end on it.  I suppose that they went to nickel plated brass (like the old Sylvania HID lamps) but I wonder sometimes whether they went ahead and outsoruced their MH and HPS lamps.  I already knew they outsource their MV lamps.

Group Replacement, Baby

Homerless
Re: What's been up with GE lately? « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:37 AM » Author: Homerless
On the Topix website, a lot of G.E. employees are complaining that they are laying off and cutting hours like crazy due to the imminent spin off... which some claim should happen by the end of the year.

I would be curious to know how their product line will look a year from now.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What's been up with GE lately? « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:32:27 PM » Author: Silverliner
The lamps are still made by GE, but the new bases are made by Tungsram, GE's Hungarian division. The mercury lamps are also made by Tungsram. Even the high wattage mogul incandescents made by GE (now in Mexico) got the new bases. Hope this helps!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's been up with GE lately? « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:11:03 PM » Author: NiMo
The lamps are still made by GE, but the new bases are made by Tungsram, GE's Hungarian division. The mercury lamps are also made by Tungsram. Even the high wattage mogul incandescents made by GE (now in Mexico) got the new bases. Hope this helps!

That's what I thought.  I ordered a 400 watt MV lamp for my collection, so I'll see how well it performs.

Group Replacement, Baby

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What's been up with GE lately? « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:52:24 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I have a dead Philips MH that is made by GE due to all the GE designs. Any ideas on this one?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies