Author Topic: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique  (Read 1136 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « on: March 25, 2019, 02:14:44 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
In forum boards, Vintage & Antique is defined being pre 1979. In 2005 when LG was established that was minimum of 26 years old. Nowadays it's 40 years old. What do you think should it be changed like 1989 or something as the years have gohe by? I think this would make sense especially now as led has basically replaced most of the old light sources in new installations.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:54:49 PM » Author: Danny
Depending on what the item is i think some lamps / fittings made right up to 2005/6 time can be vintage.  Ive seen tubes made in 1990s/2000s  posted and referred to as vintage largely due to them no longer being manufactured or manufactured for a short period. For instance a millennium neon lamp that was made for the year 2000 i class those as vintage / antique now
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:46:45 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I' say i agree, especially since recently our beloved incandescent, flourescent, and HID'S are being systematically snuffed out by the evil LED Army !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:06:11 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I agree that the Vintage & Antique sections definitions should be updated due to how much time has past however I disagree classifying newer but rare lamps as vintage/antique considering the definition of antique is generally something over 100 years old, and the definition of vintage is generally considered something 20 years or older.

Exactly 20  years ago it would be March 29th 1999 (Vintage)
Exactly 100 years ago it would be March 29th 1919 (Antique)

Modern definitions would have to be transitioned to "2000 - Present"

As much as it seems strange to consider stuff from the 90s Vintage, based on a quick bit of research I've come to the conclusion that twenty years old is widely considered "Vintage"

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&ei=x5idXK3cMsX1qwGr_5ZQ&q=how+old+is+vintage&oq=definition+of+vintage&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i71l8.0.0..3489...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.1IWmJQ2WCsI

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:09:55 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

Color changing lamp Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool Color changing lamp

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 12:04:54 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I agree that the Vintage & Antique sections definitions should be updated due to how much time has past however I disagree classifying newer but rare lamps as vintage/antique considering the definition of antique is generally something over 100 years old, and the definition of vintage is generally considered something 20 years or older.
Exactly 20  years ago it would be March 29th 1999 (Vintage)
Exactly 100 years ago it would be March 29th 1919 (Antique)
Modern definitions would have to be transitioned to "2000 - Present"
As much as it seems strange to consider stuff from the 90s Vintage, based on a quick bit of research I've come to the conclusion that twenty years old is widely considered "Vintage"

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&ei=x5idXK3cMsX1qwGr_5ZQ&q=how+old+is+vintage&oq=definition+of+vintage&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i71l8.0.0..3489...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.1IWmJQ2WCsI

I agree with Owen. It's time the board descriptions had an overhaul to reflect that time has moved on since the founding of LG.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

GE101R

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 12:18:56 PM » Author: GE101R
Depending on what the item is i think some lamps / fittings made right up to 2005/6 time can be vintage.  Ive seen tubes made in 1990s/2000s  posted and referred to as vintage largely due to them no longer being manufactured or manufactured for a short period. For instance a millennium neon lamp that was made for the year 2000 i class those as vintage / antique now
How about "scarce" fixtures/gear. I think that would be more descriptive than antique/vintage for the one of a kind type items.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:56:31 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Anything not semiconductor is vintage now!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy Cheesy

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:54:09 PM » Author: FGS
Anything not semiconductor is vintage now!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You do realize LEDs have been in existence since the 60s right? For general lighting white LEDs is approaching its 25th year since it came out in 2000~. Horrid CRI and brightness bulbs but they’ll be vintage in 2025~.

There were experiments in 1907 involving semiconductors and silicon carbide for lights but they weren’t feasible then. So there are antique LEDs but good luck finding them outside of museums. Grin

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Should LG update definition of Vintage & Antique « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 05:12:49 PM » Author: sox35
Perhaps we should employ a similar system to other definitions of the word vintage. In the car world, certainly in the UK, a vintage car strictly speaking is one made between 1905 (or 1917 depending on who you listen to) and 1930. Although to me, a better term would be 'classic' - one of my favourite cars is the original VW Beetle. It was certainly made until quite recently in Mexico, I believe, and to me qualifies as classic, but certainly not vintage.

Definitions of any sort are subjective. What I consider classic, vintage, antique or whatever may not be (and probably isn't) what you consider classic, vintage or antique. Antique dealers and auctioneers base entire careers on it..! Thinking about it, maybe we should just have several categories labelled by decades, i.e. 1960's, 1970's, 1980's or whatever rather than vague names such as antique or vintage.

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines