Author Topic: Favorite Hardware Store?  (Read 6569 times)
mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 03:46:03 AM » Author: mefurd98
I plan on going to mine sometime this week. Last time I went I got a brand new 400 watt Metal Halide high bay light for about $15
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 09:18:14 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Local in my neighborhood are a Sentry and a True Value that often have unique, unusual, NOS items.  Not even so much just lighting (Since I bought most of their NOS bulbs!) but other things.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 09:25:16 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I love going into older style hardware stores.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 04:41:16 PM » Author: CEB1993
My favorite chain hardware store is Home Depot.  They have Philips and Sylvania branded lighting products at reasonable prices.  I also enjoy either locally owned hardware stores in the small towns near me because of their good customer service and the chance of finding NOS incandescent lamps.  I definitely consider ReStores hardware stores and go to those about once a week too  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 10:57:58 PM » Author: suzukir122
I use to have favorite hardware stores thanks to lighting. (Home Depot, and DEFINITELY Lowes and True Value) This being before LED. Now I'm
not sure if I have an interest in either of those stores anymore thanks to LEDs completely ruining it for me. I mean... maybe
there are some hardware stores that still sell vintage reliable lighting here and there. If so, those stores would automatically be
my favorites. But if LED's have truly become the only source of lighting I can purchase, I've got no favorite hardware store.
Home Depot and Lowes is literally across the street from each other just down the street from me, so I'm going to go to both of them
soon to see if they still sell fluorescent fixtures at least.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 03:09:11 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I use to have favorite hardware stores thanks to lighting. (Home Depot, and DEFINITELY Lowes and True Value) This being before LED. Now I'm
not sure if I have an interest in either of those stores any more thanks to LEDs completely ruining it for me. I mean... maybe
there are some hardware stores that still sell vintage reliable lighting here and there. If so, those stores would automatically be
my favorites. But if LED's have truly become the only source of lighting I can purchase, I've got no favorite hardware store.
Home Depot and Lowes are literally across the street from each other just down the street from me, so I'm going to go to both of them soon to see if they still sell fluorescent fixtures at least.
I know this isn't a hardware store but check a ReStore. They might have something non-LED.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 04:24:26 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Fluorescent lover 40, I definitely know about Restore, that's for sure. I've actually been to one about 3, possibly
even 4 years ago, and posted about it at one point. I managed to score a fluorescent fixture with two "Commercial Service" F40T12
cool white lamps. (likely made by Philips, with those cathode shield guards they had) That fixture came with an 87% power factor
magnetic Rapid Start ballast. (I've still got that ballast) I also scored a F34T12 Sylvania GTE "Lite White Deluxe." (I've still
got that lamp but took it out of my kitchen fixture almost 2 years ago I think, and put it up inside my bedroom closet.)
I'm confident Restore would have that kind of stuff and more, but... my experience with Restore was not necessarily a good one.
People kept staring at me the entire time like I was some sort of monster.
I would hope that it's not some sort of racial thing, but regardless, despite scoring some gems, I haven't felt comfortable
with going to a Restore here near Dayton Ohio ever since. My #1 source of rare and quality lighting has been from Ebay.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 09:39:36 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
@Fluorescent lover 40, I definitely know about Restore, that's for sure. I've actually been to one about 3, possibly
even 4 years ago, and posted about it at one point. I managed to score a fluorescent fixture with two "Commercial Service" F40T12
cool white lamps. (likely made by Philips, with those cathode shield guards they had) That fixture came with an 87% power factor
magnetic Rapid Start ballast. (I've still got that ballast) I also scored an F34T12 Sylvania GTE "Lite White Deluxe." (I've still
got that lamp but took it out of my kitchen fixture almost 2 years ago I think and put it up inside my bedroom closet.)
I'm confident Restore would have that kind of stuff and more, but... my experience with Restore was not necessarily a good one.
People kept staring at me the entire time like I was some sort of monster.
I would hope that it's not some sort of racial thing, but regardless, despite scoring some gems, I haven't felt comfortable
with going to a Restore here near Dayton Ohio ever since. My #1 source of rare and quality lighting has been from Ebay.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. It's weird though. I had a Lithonia F40T12 shoplight (the big type) in my cart when I was "light shopping" at a thrift store recently and no one looked at me weirdly. As a matter, a fact, one of the employees noticed the light and started talking to me about it. He was talking about how used to install those back in the day, but now, he installs LED ones. I don't use eBay because my parents don't let me. And even at the ReStore, they only let me spend 2 dollars per trip.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:48:32 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 09:53:41 AM » Author: suzukir122
@fluorescent lover 40, I still don't know what was up. Although I absolutely HATE making assumptions like this (and I hate making
assumptions in general) it's possible that maybe they don't see African American customers very often. I'm not sure what the
deal was, but even though I got what I wanted, (used fluorescent lamps, fixtures, and a ballast) I did not feel comfortable or
welcomed there at all, whatsoever. I'll definitely give it a chance again someday though, that is for sure.

Interests:

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 11:05:34 PM » Author: icefoglights
Mine go-to is the local Sentry Hardware.  Good selection, decent prices and long hours.  When I was visiting my nephew in Arkansas, we would be working on a project and often think it would be so much easier if we could make a run to Sentry.  Last time was looking for some stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers to hold the license plate on the motorcycle.  It was Sunday so the local hardware store was closed, so we had to make due with Tractor Supply.  Got what we needed, but not in stainless (except for the bolts) and had to buy them in the prepackaged quantities.

Our local True Value is pretty cool.  Their new building doesn't have the character that their original (1905-2008) building had.  Their selection isn't quite as good as Sentry though, but their hours are the big thing that keep me from going there more often.  Closed at 3 on Saturday and all day Sunday.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 11:23:11 PM » Author: Cole D.
@fluorescent lover 40, I still don't know what was up. Although I absolutely HATE making assumptions like this (and I hate making
assumptions in general) it's possible that maybe they don't see African American customers very often. I'm not sure what the
deal was, but even though I got what I wanted, (used fluorescent lamps, fixtures, and a ballast) I did not feel comfortable or
welcomed there at all, whatsoever. I'll definitely give it a chance again someday though, that is for sure.

I had gotten strange looks at Habitat when I bought things other than lighting. I think it just odd to see someone my age buying things like that. I understand how you probably feel about it. I don't like shopping somewhere when I don't feel welcome or people looking at me either.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 11:25:31 PM » Author: Cole D.
As for hardware stores, there an ACE here but they don't really have a wide selection, I don't think. They close early on Saturday, so I don't go there that often.

There's also another little hardware store but I never looked for lighting in it.

In the next town they have True Value but it's been a long time since I went to it.

Home Depot here only sell CFL or LED security lighting, but do have Phillips HID lamps and fluorescents.

Lowes still sell MH and HPS area lights and they sell GE HID lamps. I forget what fluorescents they sell.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 11:58:16 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
It's odd, I never got looks whenever I bought anything. I'm young, but not too young.

As for hardware stores, it's Home Depot or Ace.

Home Depot has mostly LED fixtures (for sale). The only things not LED are some fluorescent lights and some motion lights. It still sells Philips lamps, is still lit with T5 HO, and still has 400w HPS lights in the parking lots.

I haven't been to Ace in half a year (don't ask me why), but it is lit with F96T8 strips (presumably F96T12) and still sells HID fixtures. The outside it lit with MH shoeboxes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:49:20 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 08:08:31 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm also on the younger side, although I'm getting older... close to 30 years old. My face still looks as
if I'm in my early twenties, but I'm noticeably physically strong since I weightlift. I've been told many
times in my life, that I look threatening. So maybe that could be why I get the stares. I don't know.

But yeah, the Lowes parking lot is still lit with Metal Halide Shoeboxes... and their entrance area where
the carts are... still lit with MH spotlighting, just like when I was a kid. I have no clue what the inside
of that store looks like now though. The Home Depot across the street has it's parking lot lit with a mixture
of Metal Halide and LED... the LED lamps have been retrofitted to fit the Metal Halide Shoeboxes. Sooooo...
some fixtures are bright and some are absolutely terribly dim. The dimmer lights...? You guessed it... LED.
Those LED lamps in those Shoebox parking lot lights are so much dimmer that's it's hilarious.
Anyways, I'll also have to check out what lighting they use now at Home Depot. It might still be HO fluorescent T5's
instead of LED T5's. Hopefully.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Favorite Hardware Store? « Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 08:16:42 AM » Author: suzukir122
Hey just a quick update. I went to Home Depot a couple days ago to get wiring nuts/wiring connectors. Upon shopping there, I discovered...
every single fixture has been retrofitted to LED. Completely retrofitted. Not LED tubes... this is the kind of situation where if the
fixture fails, the fixture needs to be replaced. Yup. Home Depot. Also, it's noticeably dimmer in there now. Stupid decision.
However... Home Depot is still selling fluorescent tubes of all kinds except High Output, and VHO. Even full wattage Slimline F96T12s.
They're also still selling MV, MH, and HPS lamps! A good amount too. They're still selling a lot of PL lamps, but no PL-L lamps.
I was very surprised to see the amount of old school lighting still being sold there... not much in the way of CFL's though.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the fixture aisle, but I will be going back very soon. I also will be going to Lowes
to see what up with them too.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies