Author Topic: Streetlights or Darkness  (Read 4652 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:46 PM » Author: CEB1993
The designers of the latest LED street lights fall into the trap of “brighter is always better.”  That’s not necessarily true because of the drawbacks of bright, glaring white light at night.

@ Mercurylamps and Miss Cuddly, I agree as well that driving beneath warmer orange light from SOX or HPS is more ergonomic than driving under LED light. The glare from bright white LED’s could actually make driving in the dark more hazardous as they can impede vision and lead to eye fatigue. 

HPS light is more ideal for roads and neighborhoods because of the relatively more gentle light that won’t impede drivers’ vision or create light pollution that disrupts sleep. I’m happy to say there’s still plenty of HPS in my town.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 09:16:07 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The designers of the latest LED street lights fall into the trap of “brighter is always better.”  That’s not necessarily true because of the drawbacks of bright, glaring white light at night.

@ Mercurylamps and Miss Cuddly, I agree as well that driving beneath warmer orange light from SOX or HPS is more ergonomic than driving under LED light. The glare from bright white LED’s could actually make driving in the dark more hazardous as they can impede vision and lead to eye fatigue. 

HPS light is more ideal for roads and neighborhoods because of the relatively more gentle light that won’t impede drivers’ vision or create light pollution that disrupts sleep. I’m happy to say there’s still plenty of HPS in my town.

How true.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 09:23:00 AM » Author: Rommie
There's still plenty here, but the march of the LED's grows ever closer. Out street is still HPS, but we can see LED's on the major roads at each end  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 08:21:38 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Thats Unfortunate...

I like the nuclear waste glow.... around here it is still very much orange...

as for the question at hand... I tend to be a night roamer, I take dark back paths on my night rides, I don't usually use flashlights with me into the woods or abandoned places and I Don't mind dark places in general, even if they'd usually be deemed "Scary" For instance the abandoned factory, I have been to, at night alone, my friends think I'm a nutter for that (probable)... I like the dark, Although I am also a lighting enthusiast, so this question causes internal conflict at a very deep level.....
I`m with you on this Owen, many years ago in my teens, we were driving around in this guys car one night and stopped at this big lake to chill out and down a few beers.
I don`t remember the reason for it now, but the driver abandoned me and my mate at the lake!, and we had to walk home!

Now, we were not that far from home, (about 6 or 7 miles), but it was a walk home down the back roads, with NO street lighting for miles around!, but its really surprising how well your eyes adjust to total darkness, and there was no moonlight this particular night, but the stars are quite bright when you see nothing but them! :D

I remember looking across the fields whilst walking along, and at how stunning the landscape all looks at night without any form of artificial light near it!, it was far from scary, but more peaceful and beautiful!
You also hear all sorts of cool noises of nature in the middle of nowhere at night too! ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:59 PM » Author: Cole D.
For me it depend. Here in town, the main highway is mostly lit in the busy areas with HPS but one section has been changed for LED in the last year or so. I prefer the HPS. The other parts out of town only have lighting at the busy intersections.

When I drive in the country it is mostly non lit which is better.

I don't like driving in busy areas at night because I can't tell which lane the cars are in when merging as they all blend together.

As for at home, there are not many lights on my street. The closest is my neighbor's across the street with is LED which I can see a slight glow from. The neighbor next door had two HPS lights installed at once point which were far too bright, but are no longer used and the one nearest the house was removed by the power company.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 08:56:27 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Update to the situation here:

We now have LED street lights in our road, and the light level is so bad we have street lights and darkness, so much so that we are reluctant to go out after dark as we don't feel safe  >:(

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Proteus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 01:12:36 PM » Author: Proteus
To be honest, it doesn't matter that much to me to drive in lit or unlit areas. OK, I'm just 30 years old, may be it'll be different in some years.
But I agree, there are some really overlit areas! Today when we are talking about economy and all that stuff, why it has to be like this?

Here in this little town where I'm living (around 15k citizens), you find everything from mercury, to HPS and as well a lot of LED meanwhile - They understood it to not overlight the new LED-lit areas at least!
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 01:19:24 PM » Author: Rommie
Update to the situation here:

We now have LED street lights in our road, and the light level is so bad we have street lights and darkness, so much so that we are reluctant to go out after dark as we don't feel safe  >:(

It's not good, the lanterns that they use are under-powered and there are so many black areas of roadway in between the lamp posts. They are also glare bombs and are very distracting when driving.

Regarding driving, the best form of lamp to me is definitely LPS, we encountered a wonderful stretch of motorway lit by them last weekend on our trip, I think they must have been 135W or 180W SOX. Next best is HPS, there is still some of this locally, but not a lot, sadly the numbers are diminishing rapidly  :(

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #23 on: December 25, 2019, 02:17:54 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I’m slightly confused now, how do you get ‘underpowered glare bombs’?, are you still on the old 15 metre spacing up there?

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #24 on: December 25, 2019, 02:51:44 PM » Author: Rommie
I’m slightly confused now, how do you get ‘underpowered glare bombs’?, are you still on the old 15 metre spacing up there?
Maybe I didn't say it right, what I meant is the light from the LED's doesn't make it as far as the roadway very well. If you look at them, they are very bright, but the roadway is very dark.

I don't know about the spacing, but they didn't alter it, they just plonked the LED's where the HPS's previously were. And which worked fine, by the way  :-\

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #25 on: December 25, 2019, 03:11:06 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
HPS's previously were. And which worked fine, by the way  :-\
Same with all the HPS & MH I've seen replaced here
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 03:13:19 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 03:12:49 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Ok, sounds like they chose the complete wrong lanterns for the job?, the old spacing for road lighting was, something like 15 metres between columns, we’re on the same here, but back in the mercury and SOX days this was enough for lanterns to spread light between the dark patches, as LED direct light downward the old spacing doesn’t work!, that when lantern choices are important.
We got DW, (distribution wide), Uni-Street fitted, so the dark in between are not an issue.

Danny has highlighted the same problem with the 11watt Axias.

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #27 on: December 25, 2019, 06:08:42 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That's what you get when you take lighting engineers out of the picture, and it's purely a budgetary consideration  >:(

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 06:54:41 PM » Author: FGS
That's what you get when you take lighting engineers out of the picture, and it's purely a budgetary consideration  >:(

Yep. They probably picked the HPS lights at whichever’s cheap and put them in front of our house. Too far spread out so it’s bright dark bright dark.

Budgetary decisions and not using lighting engineers would lead to the same horrid underlit or overlit areas regardless of light tech used.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies