Author Topic: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area?  (Read 12912 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 12:53:06 PM » Author: Rommie
There are some lovely mercury-lit Thorn Precincts in the car park of the police station across the road (see here  ;D)

Other than that and the odd sprinkling of HPS, it's 99% LED  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 10:58:28 PM » Author: Cole D.
There are a lot of 1960`s GE Powr/Brackets in my area owned by the utility that are rented in  peoples yards in our neghborhood. As for private lights, there is a 1980`s Regent Superliter about 30 minutes from my house.

That's cool. There were a few Powr/Brackets here used for lights in yards (all 400W MV with the big refractor) but unfortunately there's only two or three left I know of, and they don't work.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 10:59:45 PM » Author: Cole D.
There are some lovely mercury-lit Thorn Precincts in the car park of the police station across the road (see here  ;D)

Other than that and the odd sprinkling of HPS, it's 99% LED  :'(

That's sad. I'm fortunate that my area still has lots of HPS and a decent amount of MV lighting, but that's not the case for a lot of towns.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 03:58:32 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Probably the last two remaining GEC Z9480s from 1960 are the oldest here, they even have their original SOI ‘open’ autoleaks in!
Sadly, ones in a very dilapidated state, (although still running), and the other is mint, on the side of our community centre  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 05:02:39 AM » Author: Michael
Philips Luma Mini warmwhite LED fixtures around where I live and the oldest fixtures in our village are Norvegian IFA fixtures from the 1970’s use to be running 80W Mercury vapour lamps.

Next to my holiday house there are Schreder Saphire 1 fixtures from around 2000 with HPS 70W and on the other side of the river which is France there are Eclatec MIR 64, Mazda Junior and Eclatec Australe 53 fixtures.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 07:25:06 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Probably the oldest around me are some M250R1's in Meredith or some of the high mast lights in Concord.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 04:28:17 PM » Author: wattMaster
For my neighborhood, it's varied. Some home security lights are from the 80s, although some porch lights may be from before that. For streetlights, everything is 1980s and newer. The area never got heavily populated until a few decades ago, and so the infrastructure was dilapidated until then.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 01:14:50 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The are two out-of-service Unistyle 400s near me. One is off of the WA-507 in McKenna and one on Spanaway Loop Rd in Spanaway. There's also a bunch of ITT 25s in the Green Lot of the Washington State Fair. There's another one that's dayburning in a parking lot in Yelm. There used to be one right across from it, but it's gone now.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:30:31 AM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 07:32:22 AM » Author: AngryHorse
This one, still running in full nightly service today, all the columns along here went with the 2017 change out, except this one???
No idea at all why this one was left on its own in a sea of LED, but it still works considering it one of the originals from the early 60s!!  8), it runs 35watt SOX
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:38:44 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 07:35:11 AM » Author: Rommie
There is a solitary day-burning HPS street lamp across the road from us, it's too distant for me to be able to identify it from here, but next time we go out I'll take a photo. Everything else within measurable distance is you-know-what  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 10:00:00 AM » Author: BT25
The are two out-of-service Unistyle 400s near me. One is off of the WA-507 in McKenna and one on Spanaway Loop Rd in Spanaway. There's also a bunch of ITT 25s in the Bronze Lot of the Washington State Fair. There's another one that's dayburning in a parking lot in Yelm. There used to be one right across from it, but it's gone now.
The one in McKenna has been out for as long as I can remember...that's at least 35 years plus. That one is owned by WSDOT.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 10:16:30 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The one in McKenna has been out for as long as I can remember...that's at least 35 years plus. That one is owned by WSDOT.
Really! Oh wow.  :o The one I'm thinking of is mounted to a wooden pole, and there's also a NEMA head (AEL 11 I believe?) on the same pole that's also out-of-service. Is that the one you're thinking of? https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.google.earth&isi=293622097&ius=googleearth&link=https%3a%2f%2fearth.google.com%2fweb%2f%4046.93399239,-122.55915536,95.05116272a,0d,57.37528169y,316.61065558h,99.36289206t,0r%2fdata%3dIhoKFjI1R09jcGcwY1E5S0dnelh3WW1ha3cQAg
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:38:48 AM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 12:42:06 PM » Author: joseph_125
Oldest out of service light:

LM Spherolite Jr. Out of service since the mid 80s or so I'm guessing. Probably 189w incandescent or something like that.

Oldest still in use light:

Powerlite Devices B2217 Originally 1960s MV, converted to HPS in the 90s.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 01:04:54 PM » Author: BT25
Really! Oh wow.  :o The one I'm thinking of is mounted to a wooden pole, and there's also a NEMA head (AEL 11 I believe?) on the same pole that's also out-of-service. Is that the one you're thinking of? https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.google.earth&isi=293622097&ius=googleearth&link=https%3a%2f%2fearth.google.com%2fweb%2f%4046.93399239,-122.55915536,95.05116272a,0d,57.37528169y,316.61065558h,99.36289206t,0r%2fdata%3dIhoKFjI1R09jcGcwY1E5S0dnelh3WW1ha3cQAg
Yep...that old residential NEMA belongs to the nursing home.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What are the oldest street/security lights in your area? « Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 01:15:34 PM » Author: HPS_250
The lights on this pole are the oldest I know of in my area.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6321&pos=32&pid=170535

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies