Author Topic: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs?  (Read 2719 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « on: April 03, 2019, 07:00:10 PM » Author: High Intensity
So i'm trying to find some HPS & MH bulbs for some fixtures i just got, however, most of the higher power HPS & MH bulbs are being sold as 'Grow Light' bulbs. I'm wondering if there's any real difference between these bulbs or if they're just the same thing just sold towards growers and they would work fine in my fixtures...
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:37:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I too have always wondered if the 'grow' HPS lamps are any different.

The MH ones probably just have a different spectrum, though I've heard some are specifically designed to run on electronic ballasts.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:12:09 AM » Author: dor123
European grow HPS lamps have higher mercury dose, so to push the sodium emission more to the red and less to the green, so they looks redder than regular HPS lamps. They have also higher xenon pressure (500 tor) for higher PAR output.
Most US grow MH lamps I've seen here, have exactly the same spectra as US probe-start MH lamps (Sodium + scandium). But I've seen several with dysprosium + thallium + caesium, similar to the European Osram HQI-T 400W/D and some other daylight MH lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:37:42 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Dor123 is exactly right, the higher end HPS lamps for the horticulture market are indeed a bit more pink/peach in color than standard HPS lamps for the general lighting market. I have a Ushio Hilux Gro 400w and it is indeed emitting more red and blue when side by side to a standard HPS.
Cheap horticulture HPS lamps are generally just standard HPS lamps in a colorful box.

Regarding metal halide, all three MH horticulture lamps I own are simply adopted from standard general lighting lamps, I have a EYE Hortilux Blue (6500K), which is no different than EYE Iwasaki's commercial "color-arc" 6500K lamp. All 4000K "grow" lamps ive see are simply regular Na-Sc general lighting lamps rebadged for horticulture.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 12:57:40 AM » Author: tolivac
I can go along with others here-the Horticulture HPS bulbs are indeed more "red" than standard HPS lamps.Like the Horticultture ones better.I don't grow plants.Just like the color better.And I have plant lights with electronic ballasts.Now have a large collection of them!Really like the Nanoluz 1000W CMH enhanced red and the Growers Choice ones.The Growers choice has two 500W CMH PZ style based lamps.The Nanolux has two 500W CMH arc tubes in a DE outer tube.They make NICE light-obnly run them a short time.Imagine if you had to run these for 12,18 hr grow cycles-and a roomful of those at that!!!
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:05:19 AM » Author: BT25
Just recently, I came across some Philips Ceramalux 430W grow lamps. Such an odd size, but the sizing is probably based on lumen output. I didn't buy them.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 12:42:25 AM » Author: tolivac
The Philips 430W HPS "grow" lamps will run off S51 400W HPS ballasts with no problem.Have some of those.They do produce more light and a slightly different color.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 10:15:18 PM » Author: Lumex120
Both 430w and 600w HPS (and 600w MH) are wattages that seem to be "reserved" for grow lights. I have seen ballasts rated explicitly for 430w HPS only. It would be cool if it was used in normal lighting as a "rare" variant though, kind of like 310w HPS or 150w S56 HPS.

Unofficial LG Discord

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 10:23:11 PM » Author: dor123
Grow HPS lamps here are common in 400W, 600W and low and high voltage 1000W. They can be operated on regular HPS ballast while the high voltage 1000W can be operated on S52 autoregulator ballast.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Difference Between Normal and Grow Light HPS & MH Bulbs? « Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 04:25:07 AM » Author: lights*plus
I have a few 400w HPS "grow" lamps (with beautiful package, including a mock-image of its spectral output on the carton) but have not seen much of a difference spectrally between regular 400w HPS and the 400w grow lamps run on the same magnetic ballast. I don't have electronic ballasts for those wattages, which I'm sure, if there's a spectral difference it would show up with such a ballast. Or would it..?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies