Author Topic: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn?  (Read 2539 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « on: May 05, 2019, 01:22:57 PM » Author: Cole D.
Since, AEL makes two ballast in arm fixtures, the model 165 and the dusk to dawn model, I was wonder what the differences are. I know the 165 uses the clip-on NEMA reflector/refractor and I think the Dusk to Dawn is screw on, but anything else? I've never seen any Dusk to Dawn on here that I recall, but I do see the 165 and the Cooper Van Vanguard III.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:54 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
The Dusk To Dawn model looks like a cheaper version. Like something that should be sold in retail stores. AEL branded products are not sold in retail stores though. So I'm not sure. I'll have to look at the spec sheets again when I can get to a computer that I can access the website from. I'm at work and these computers are terrible.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:24:44 AM » Author: joseph_125
I believe the Dusk to Dawn was originally a Sylvania-Powerlite design and when AEL took over the Powerlite division from Sylvania in the late 90s they continued making the design like they did with the Twistpak which was also a Sylvania-Powerlite design.

Not sure about the history of the 165 but I'm guessing that's a original AEL design.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:37:30 PM » Author: Cole D.
Ah, so that makes sense then. Kind of like how Cooper still makes the Vanguard III that was originally Westinghouse. In Cooper's case they didn't have a ballast in arm fixture, so why AEL kept it when they already had the 165 seems a redundant.

The 165 I'm pretty sure is one of American Electric's original designs, they go back to the 60s around the time GE introduced the Powr/Bracket.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=8&pid=150434

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:27:46 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah they have the same thing with the TwistPack. I guess the 245 Contempo is the AEL designed version since the TwistPack is a Sylvania-Powerlite fixture. It seems like AEL discontinued the version of the TwistPack that was integrated to the pole though. 
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:49:15 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah they have the same thing with the TwistPack. I guess the 245 Contempo is the AEL designed version since the TwistPack is a Sylvania-Powerlite fixture. It seems like AEL discontinued the version of the TwistPack that was integrated to the pole though.  

Yeah I just noticed that when I was on their site looking for the Dusk to Dawn. The TwistPack is a nice looking fixture. I always liked the Contempo too though. It's neat that they make an LED version of it also. I wish GE still made their P-17 but in LED instead of just discontinuing them.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 03:29:42 PM » Author: sol
Could the old Powerlite Private Eye be of interest here ? It was in production in the late 1960's.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What the differences between AEL 165 and AEL Dusk to Dawn? « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 11:38:55 PM » Author: Cole D.
Could the old Powerlite Private Eye be of interest here ? It was in production in the late 1960's.

Looks like its the predecessor of the Westinghouse model now made by AEL. Private Eye is a neat name for a security light too.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies