Author Topic: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War.  (Read 6033 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 12:32:37 AM » Author: takemorepills
Why do people think it is their right to buy things as cheaply as possible? Year after year, I see more and more stuff no longer USA made. Talk to the average person, and they are all for it if it means they save $2.

I used to live and work in China, and I can tell you we should have pulled the plug on them 20+ years ago. Tiananmen should have been the trigger.

In US politics, when rules were loosened to allow greedy US companies to offshore to China, many politicians would be uneasy allowing work to flow to China, but they would usually come around when sold on the idea of "democracy through capitalism" well here we are 30 years later, our landfills being filled with cheap Chinese stuff and few Americans working in productive industries. Those of you who lament on the Trade War need to read up on Xi Jin Ping. Quite possibly the most dangerous regime that the west now faces.

Worse, much of our USA IP has been stolen from us and in many cases weaponized against the west.

Soberingly, it is sad that Americans don't realize when they buy Chinese made products, a little bit of that money goes to a repressive regime who uses it to build weapons to destroy the west. China points nukes at us, and they are very open that militarily, we are an adversary.

The fact that China has always considered us a military adversary makes me very upset at Americans who don't get the gravity of that. And a few times I have heard ignorant people say "well, remember Japan 50 years ago? China will be just like that, just you wait" yeah right. Japan is a US ally. China is NOT.

And all the OP can concern themselves with is that maybe prices for some stuff will go up??

Thank you Trump for trying, but you are not trying hard enough. The good news? It seems that even Democrats have got major beef with China, so China will not be able to rest easy if Trump loses 2020. See, this isn't a political rant because this is a rare thing that both sides in USA can agree on.

Unfortunately, we are likely too late. We care more about gender pro-nouns than we care about realizing the beast from the East is about to take our lunch!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:39:16 AM by takemorepills » Logged
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 08:18:06 AM » Author: FGS
Why do people think it is their right to buy things as cheaply as possible? Year after year, I see more and more stuff no longer USA made. Talk to the average person, and they are all for it if it means they save $2.

I used to live and work in China, and I can tell you we should have pulled the plug on them 20+ years ago. Tiananmen should have been the trigger.

In US politics, when rules were loosened to allow greedy US companies to offshore to China, many politicians would be uneasy allowing work to flow to China, but they would usually come around when sold on the idea of "democracy through capitalism" well here we are 30 years later, our landfills being filled with cheap Chinese stuff and few Americans working in productive industries. Those of you who lament on the Trade War need to read up on Xi Jin Ping. Quite possibly the most dangerous regime that the west now faces.

Worse, much of our USA IP has been stolen from us and in many cases weaponized against the west.

Soberingly, it is sad that Americans don't realize when they buy Chinese made products, a little bit of that money goes to a repressive regime who uses it to build weapons to destroy the west. China points nukes at us, and they are very open that militarily, we are an adversary.

The fact that China has always considered us a military adversary makes me very upset at Americans who don't get the gravity of that. And a few times I have heard ignorant people say "well, remember Japan 50 years ago? China will be just like that, just you wait" yeah right. Japan is a US ally. China is NOT.

And all the OP can concern themselves with is that maybe prices for some stuff will go up??

Thank you Trump for trying, but you are not trying hard enough. The good news? It seems that even Democrats have got major beef with China, so China will not be able to rest easy if Trump loses 2020. See, this isn't a political rant because this is a rare thing that both sides in USA can agree on.

Unfortunately, we are likely too late. We care more about gender pro-nouns than we care about realizing the beast from the East is about to take our lunch!

They need us like we need them. I mean if they cut us off. How are they gonna pay the workers for those factories? I mean if workers aren’t getting paid they’re not putting food on the table and things will get ugly. Far East version of the Arab Spring and the Chinese government doesn’t want that.

Kind of like the mutually assured destruction we had with the USSR in the Cold War. We want cheap stuff from China so we don’t pick a fight with China. They want to keep the workers paid and happy and not revolting against their government so they don’t want to pick a fight with us. Trump is a wild card so no one knows exactly what’s gonna happen about it. Will we keep at peace relying on each other as usual or will we start getting ugly and cut each other off making stuff more expensive for everyone involved?

I’m not too worried since if the “Dragon” do decide to do anything militarily, they’ll end up hurting themselves. We all know what happened in Arab Spring. So does Xi Jin Ping.

That $2 saved can make a difference between keeping the lights on or going dark for many people. Most important getting food for your kids or letting them go hungry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:52:50 AM by FGS » Logged

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 11:48:25 PM » Author: takemorepills

That $2 saved can make a difference between keeping the lights on or going dark for many people. Most important getting food for your kids or letting them go hungry.

I guess if your country has outsourced all of its prosperity?

Although, what most people do with that $2 is just buy more Chinese junk.

Go look at the lives of people with children on reduced/free lunch programs. The parents often have nice smartphones, big chrome wheels on their car and expensive tattoos. But they can't afford to pay for their kids lunch? Is that the $2 you speak of?

Source: I was raised in the ghetto on food stamps.
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 09:11:41 AM » Author: FGS
I guess if your country has outsourced all of its prosperity?

Although, what most people do with that $2 is just buy more Chinese junk.

Go look at the lives of people with children on reduced/free lunch programs. The parents often have nice smartphones, big chrome wheels on their car and expensive tattoos. But they can't afford to pay for their kids lunch? Is that the $2 you speak of?

Source: I was raised in the ghetto on food stamps.

Ok then. So all the poor people with children on reduced/free lunch programs have big chrome wheels on their cars and nice smartphones. Nice of you bunching up everyone else with the few so called chrome rims owners. ::)

It’s not just $2. Let’s say they have an old stove that’s about to go to greener pasture. Time to get a new one. A $300 Chinese stove or a $1000 all American (probably built by robots) stove? That’s $700 worth of food, rent, and utilities.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 11:18:29 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: FGS
It’s not just $2. Let’s say they have an old stove that’s about to go to greener pasture. Time to get a new one. A $300 Chinese stove or a $1000 all American (probably built by robots) stove? That’s $700 worth of food, rent, and utilities.
I personally would go for the cheaper end...not the cheapest $300 model, but something a bit better - say the $500 model.

And fact is, while it may be built in China or the US, or (wherever)...atleast some of the parts that make it up probably came from somewhere else.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 05:51:21 PM » Author: FGS

I agree, 1000%.

So you’re agreeing we should remove the means that’s keeping China and USA from going to full blown war (possibly going nuclear) with each other? The kind of where China needs our dollars and the USA needs their products. And no the Cold War’s nuclear Mutually Assured Destruction is not likely to work with China/USA like it did with Russia/USA. China has less than 300 atom bombs whilst the USA have about 6500 of the things. M.A.D. only works when both countries are about evenly matched in weapon numbers. Russia has 6800 of them. (Dunno about ready to fire vs in storage bombs but that’s the total of them I got from Google.)

The last thing any sane man would want regardless of political party or country of birth is a Third World War. We all must do everything to keep it from starting up. Even if it means buying from China as usual.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 10:23:04 PM » Author: takemorepills
Your logic is terrible. Keep buying from China, otherwise we may get into a war with them?

First off, China won't start a war with us over that. China is not into projecting power outside of their own sphere. They only care about Taiwan, HK and relations that they can benefit from. China is a very selfish country, and they wouldn't want to be destroyed by starting a war with another major nuclear power.

Have you seen what China is doing to HK right now?

Do you know what China wants to do to Taiwan?

They will do what they want, despite us being their customer. The more we buy from them, the sooner they can achieve their goal of conquering Taiwan and assimilating HK ahead of schedule.

Have you seen "Black Mirror"? That's China TODAY. In China they use WeChat to pay for most things, if not all things that are e-pay. If you own an electric car in China, which many do, you would use WeChat (Wei Xin) to pay for charging your car. If you say Xi Jin Ping looks like Pooh, or talk about Hong Kong protests your WeChat account gets suspended, and your ability to pay for charging your electric car, buying groceries, getting airplane ticket...is all shut down too. Have you ever seen an electric car charging station that can take real money? Nope.

So, you want to give money to this regime because you think they'll attack us?

Modern mentality is so annoying. In Seattle, the City government will ban official business with any anti-gay region in USA. But, I keep suggesting to them to no longer buy Chinese made products with City tax dollars. They ignore me. They want to ban travel to West Virginia or Missouri for LGBTQ reasons, but if you explain to them that being gay in China=Mental Illness and NO rights at ALL, or the political prisoners, or the suppression of Muslims (for some reason LGBTQ in Seattle like Muslims....so weird) they don't care. I think Americans don't care whenever you call into question their ability to buy cheap crap.

You know, they say stuff like "to avoid conflict we should just keep buying stuff". Yeah, right!
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 09:00:53 PM » Author: FGS
Your logic is terrible. Keep buying from China, otherwise we may get into a war with them?

First off, China won't start a war with us over that. China is not into projecting power outside of their own sphere. They only care about Taiwan, HK and relations that they can benefit from. China is a very selfish country, and they wouldn't want to be destroyed by starting a war with another major nuclear power.

Have you seen what China is doing to HK right now?

Do you know what China wants to do to Taiwan?

They will do what they want, despite us being their customer. The more we buy from them, the sooner they can achieve their goal of conquering Taiwan and assimilating HK ahead of schedule.

Have you seen "Black Mirror"? That's China TODAY. In China they use WeChat to pay for most things, if not all things that are e-pay. If you own an electric car in China, which many do, you would use WeChat (Wei Xin) to pay for charging your car. If you say Xi Jin Ping looks like Pooh, or talk about Hong Kong protests your WeChat account gets suspended, and your ability to pay for charging your electric car, buying groceries, getting airplane ticket...is all shut down too. Have you ever seen an electric car charging station that can take real money? Nope.

So, you want to give money to this regime because you think they'll attack us?

Modern mentality is so annoying. In Seattle, the City government will ban official business with any anti-gay region in USA. But, I keep suggesting to them to no longer buy Chinese made products with City tax dollars. They ignore me. They want to ban travel to West Virginia or Missouri for LGBTQ reasons, but if you explain to them that being gay in China=Mental Illness and NO rights at ALL, or the political prisoners, or the suppression of Muslims (for some reason LGBTQ in Seattle like Muslims....so weird) they don't care. I think Americans don't care whenever you call into question their ability to buy cheap crap.

You know, they say stuff like "to avoid conflict we should just keep buying stuff". Yeah, right!

You think they’re waiting for a right time to invade Taiwan and Hong Kong? Get as much money from us in meanwhile until they get enough to buy/make military gear to invade those two places. Like they’re $50b short of reaching their required $1000b for an invasion. Yeah, right! It’s not that easy.

Buying fighter planes and ships is easy. Pay a few millions for them and it’s theirs. Paying wages, fuel, maintenance, and so on? Where the money will come from once the largest slice of the pie of money going into China is gone. (Not to mention other currencies might do the same and cut off China as well lest they incur the wrath of Uncle Sam.)

Let’s not forget all those factories and their workers going idle as the USA will certainly stop all imports of Chinese stuff into the USA after China invaded Taiwan and HK. How are they gonna pay rent, utility bills, food, and so on? They’ll go hungry inevitably and they’ll get angry at their government for its stupidity of invading Taiwan angering Uncle Sam. They’ll revolt against the government Arab Spring style. The last thing the government needs whilst being super busy with the invasions and defending against Uncle Sam’s revenge for attacking its allies, is to deal with millions of hungry and angry Chinese former factory workers. They needs every able soldiers to fight off Uncle Sam.

China could have easily invaded Taiwan while the USA was occupied with its many wars over the last 70 years. It hasn’t done so, why? Because the China/USA version of M.A.D. works. Given the idiotic tariff war started by Trump. That M.A.D. is on rather shaky grounds. So I dunno where it’ll go from here now.

WeChat sounds awfully like our Credit Report & Score but more tighter than normal.

Electric car charging stations. Don’t the cars have both fast charging (the stations is a must) and slow charging (just plug into any old 120v outlet nearby)? I’ve heard of Tesla’s Supercharger stations in the news. Usually involving idiotic guys with micro appendage between the legs driving diesels trucks parking in the reserved spaces for Tesla cars and causing trouble for everyone like revving their engines making them belch black sooty exhaust or just parking in such a way the Tesla drivers can’t plug in.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 01:35:46 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
You think they’re waiting for a right time to invade Taiwan and Hong Kong? Get as much money from us in meanwhile until they get enough to buy/make military gear to invade those two places. Like they’re $50b short of reaching their required $1000b for an invasion. Yeah, right! It’s not that easy.

Buying fighter planes and ships is easy. Pay a few millions for them and it’s theirs. Paying wages, fuel, maintenance, and so on? Where the money will come from once the largest slice of the pie of money going into China is gone. (Not to mention other currencies might do the same and cut off China as well lest they incur the wrath of Uncle Sam.)

Let’s not forget all those factories and their workers going idle as the USA will certainly stop all imports of Chinese stuff into the USA after China invaded Taiwan and HK. How are they gonna pay rent, utility bills, food, and so on? They’ll go hungry inevitably and they’ll get angry at their government for its stupidity of invading Taiwan angering Uncle Sam. They’ll revolt against the government Arab Spring style. The last thing the government needs whilst being super busy with the invasions and defending against Uncle Sam’s revenge for attacking its allies, is to deal with millions of hungry and angry Chinese former factory workers. They needs every able soldiers to fight off Uncle Sam.

China could have easily invaded Taiwan while the USA was occupied with its many wars over the last 70 years. It hasn’t done so, why? Because the China/USA version of M.A.D. works. Given the idiotic tariff war started by Trump. That M.A.D. is on rather shaky grounds. So I dunno where it’ll go from here now.

WeChat sounds awfully like our Credit Report & Score but more tighter than normal.

Electric car charging stations. Don’t the cars have both fast charging (the stations is a must) and slow charging (just plug into any old 120v outlet nearby)? I’ve heard of Tesla’s Supercharger stations in the news. Usually involving idiotic guys with micro appendage between the legs driving diesels trucks parking in the reserved spaces for Tesla cars and causing trouble for everyone like revving their engines making them belch black sooty exhaust or just parking in such a way the Tesla drivers can’t plug in.

Invading Taiwan and Honkong with military power is utterly stupid idea. If they are going to invade, it's done much more sophisticated than that.

Also I think you don't realize how different China is compared to USA and Western or even Arab countries in many ways so I think any bigger revolt is very unlikely to ever happen. Due to their history, political and economic system, the people are much more tolerant and cooperative with their government than in any "free countrt"

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: USA vs China’s asinine Trade War. « Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 06:14:17 AM » Author: Silverliner
This has gotten off topic. Instead of how tariffs affect lamps and the cost on said lamps, this has evolved into a full blown political debate. I'm locking this thread.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies