Author Topic: Visited a ReStore for the first time today...  (Read 2604 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « on: May 03, 2013, 06:33:19 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I had never heard of ReStore before joining LG, and until recently I had no idea they existed in Canada. Indeed, if anyone is ever near Fredericton, New Brunswick, there is one there.

Anyhow, I took a look in said ReStore today. Really cool place. Lots of lighting stuff, although nothing that particularly caught my interest. They had a stack of rapid start 4' strip lights, and a rapid start F15T12 strip light with a modern Sylvania daylight lamp in it. I might have taken that if I didn't just recently get my F15T8 desk lamp. Other than that, they had a 1970's GE stove with a built-in preheat F30T8 light above the burners. No other fluorescent fixtures or lamps. There were three Advance rapid start ballasts for 8' lamps; I think F96T12. They are HUGE!

They had a ton of Edison screw table lamps and incandescent bulbs, including a bunch of old-looking Philips 40W bulbs made in Indonesia, and a bunch of boxes of modern Philips bulbs that were some type of rough service bulbs; they were called Country-something. Never seen them before.

The place was lit with 8' T12 fluorescent lights - a mixture of daylight and warm white - and a few MH lights, all apparently with magnetic ballasts. You would go deaf if you stayed long enough! It was a wonderful sound I hear rarely now.

Anyhow really cool place. They seem to be really random with prices. One table lamp there was $5, while a nearly identical one beside it was $40. At any rate, I'll certainly be checking there once in a while, and maybe someday I'll score something awesome there.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:51:53 AM » Author: MikeT1982
This really is interesting!  I found that there is one roughly 45 minutes away from me and plan to visit/photo the whole thing for here this summer! :-)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:42:58 PM » Author: joseph_125
Restore is a pretty interesting place, there's a few around the Toronto area that I frequent. They usually have the standard fluorescent and incandescent stuff but HID stuff occasionally shows up there and for a pretty good price too.

Those RS ballasts for 8' lamps are probably HO ballasts especially if they're the size of a brick. Those cost quite a bit new at Rona and Home Depot.   
Steele1992

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:00:30 PM » Author: Steele1992
I always say that the ReStore is a thrift store and a hardware store combined. Any type of used or new building supplies, or home furnishings, they have it. I bought a 7-drawer 1960's file cabinet there in April.  Solid steel, and heavier than a refrigerator, but only cost $40.  New, a file cabinet that big in this day and age would cost $450....and is made from thin aluminum!

I want to hit them up again for an old fuse panel and some glass fuses, just to collect/display/reminisce, since they are cheap. My grandmother's house used to run on fuses, and laundry day meant chewing through about 2 or 3 boxes of fuses in a day.  lol  I used to save all the dead ones.  Had so many of them, all from the 1940's to the 1960's. It's how I got to liking all the old products back then.

I collect exit signs, preferably vintage ones.

I also have a little bit of a thing for light bulbs, too. Of course, hoarding them due to the incandescent bulb ban.

(Signature last updated October 27, 2011)

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:34:33 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Yeah I had heard of ReStore before I found this site but I only recently went to one for the first time...they have furniture, appliances, plumbing, doors/windows, flooring, sinks, electrical, and of course tons of vintage bulbs!
SeberHusky, sounds like your grandmother needed what's known as a "Time-Delay" fuse...those can stand brief overloads (washing machine motor starting when the washer changes cycles, etc.)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:56:11 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
So I went back there recently, I saw something that made my heart sink - a metal preheat desk lamp with a GE 15W T8 White lamp, possibly a Mazda. The top half of the etch was worn off, but the layout was identical to the later Mazda etches. $10. I would totally grab it for the lamp alone, but Mom would kill me if I brought home another fixture, especially a desk lamp, which would make it my third. :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:03:52 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:58:50 AM » Author: funkybulb
I would take the lamp out and put something else in it place and buy the lamp it self

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:44:38 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I don't know why I never thought of that. The thing is, though, everything has a price tag on it, and of course a lamp already in a fixture doesn't. I could certainly try though, if they have any other 15 watt lamps lying around.

When I bought my 15 watt strip light, the desk lamp was there, but I thought the lamp in it had no ID on it at all, so I never looked closer. If I had realized what it was, I would have very quickly switched the lamp with the 2007 Sylvania that came in the strip light!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:14:42 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 10:39:30 PM » Author: Cavannus
I didn't know ReStore, and thanks to this thread I went to the one in Montreal tonight. I found those black end cap tubes and saw other stuff that I didn't buy.
This is a nice shop between "Home Depot" and "Village des valeurs"...  ;D
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:14:13 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Yeah, I just saw your picture; that's a great score! Unfortunately the only lamps my store have right now are Philips Altos!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:16:12 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:29:11 AM » Author: Cavannus
Thanks  :)
I also saw a box of F30T12 Alto's and recent Philips F15T12's, but I didn't buy them.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 09:47:24 PM » Author: Binarix128
I heared the "ReStore" because of the parrot175 videos.  ;D :hps:
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Visited a ReStore for the first time today... « Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 12:31:08 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I heared the "ReStore" because of the parrot175 videos.  ;D :hps:
That's where I heard that term too! Heard the term in 2014, didn't ACTUALLY go there until 2016! ::) ;D
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies