Author Topic: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED  (Read 837 times)
streetlight98

View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #30 on: August 11, 2019, 03:54:19 PM » Author: streetlight98
The thing that saddens me most is that if you, for an example, bought a streetlight and a lamp back in 70's and stored it in even considerably good place for 100 years it probably still works fine if your grandchildren finds it and fires it up. Same cannot be said about fixtures that has electronic ballast as electronics ages even when not used, giving it limited shelf life. But this also happen to other electronic ballast and not just leds.

A fixture having a magnetic ballast incorporating a capacitor in the circuit also has a limited shelf life. I get your point, but it affects lights from all eras.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Roi_hartmann

View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 07:13:50 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
A fixture having a magnetic ballast incorporating a capacitor in the circuit also has a limited shelf life. I get your point, but it affects lights from all eras.
True, but in 230v, capacitor is optional for at least fluorescent and mv.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

tolivac

View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 11:21:40 PM » Author: tolivac
If the cap is oil filled film-the shelf life for those can be indefinite.Now if its one of those dry electrolytic ones-then,yes,it has limited shelf life.
GE101R

View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #33 on: Today at 06:41:23 AM » Author: GE101R
Most of the LED street light fixtures are boring and look cheap, even though they come with a hefty price tag. No imagination as far as aesthetics, just utilitarian light sources that are sometimes just plain ugly.
funkybulb

View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #34 on: Today at 07:22:10 AM » Author: funkybulb
When I repair rapid start ballast or rewire old
preheat HPF ballast. first thing first I go ahead replace
capacitor and extend the leads to remote mounted the capacitors.  that way older ballast can stay in service longer. and easier to replace them for future generations
while I am gone.  so if some one finds old lights and make it easy to replace parts. it like trying to keep a model T running in 2019 as most of those cars are
coming on over 100 years old to keep them running.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

GE101R

View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #35 on: Today at 07:24:27 AM » Author: GE101R
When I repair rapid start ballast or rewire old
preheat HPF ballast. first thing first I go ahead replace
capacitor and extend the leads to remote mounted the capacitors.  that way older ballast can stay in service longer. and easier to replace them for future generations
while I am gone.  so if some one finds old lights and make it easy to replace parts. it like trying to keep a model T running in 2019 as most of those cars are
coming on over 100 years old to keep them running.

Good for you!
GE101R

View Gallery

Re: Losing interest in lighting due to the ubiquitous, omnipresent LED « Reply #36 on: Today at 07:26:17 AM » Author: GE101R
This has got to be one of the ugliest street/area lights that I have ever seen. The original A/E would never let something like this go out or even be shown.
Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines