Author Topic: What are your lighting pet peeve?  (Read 15947 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:04 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
The newer ones don't yellow up due to different plastics also they don't really yellow in 175 watt or lower.....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Dimiz

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:56 AM » Author: Dimiz
What I hate the most is when you politely ask the linesman replacing a fixture and you know its just going to be thrown into a recycling bin and he refuses to give it to you...I've had one linesman give me not just the one he replaced (just a badly burnt out HPS globe cycling) but virtually all the lights he had on the truck...almost ran out of room in the car! Also a handful of new 80W Merc lamps...Wish there were more like him around..

Could never explain why I risk so much to collect them!

chapman84
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 06:15:00 PM » Author: chapman84
What I hate the most is when you politely ask the linesman replacing a fixture and you know its just going to be thrown into a recycling bin and he refuses to give it to you...I've had one linesman give me not just the one he replaced (just a badly burnt out HPS globe cycling) but virtually all the lights he had on the truck...almost ran out of room in the car! Also a handful of new 80W Merc lamps...Wish there were more like him around..

Some lineman aren't allowed to give streetlights out, don't take it personally. I tried to get some Westinghouse OV-25 Remote Ballast fixtures from a lineman in Pittsburgh but he said no.
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 10:26:34 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I hate to see bans pass one by one, year after year. First, mercury vapor ballast, then OEM probe start MH ballast, and in 2012 incandescent! MV and MH ban are caused by IDA that don't even know what he's doing.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 06:04:24 PM » Author: lightman64
At stores the current socket designs for table lamps sucks, "the missing top socket casing sydrome" is something I hate!!! Those older metalic designs were much better, I've seen those plastic designs come out as early as the 1990s........don't like it one bit, it also causes more trashing lamps if nobody buys it due to this long time flaw!!!!

What are you talking about?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

chapman84
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:14:01 PM » Author: chapman84
High Pressure Sodium has become the biggest threat to mercury vapor lights ever since the ban.
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 05:30:03 PM » Author: lightman64
I noticed lately that many bucket lights in my area are losing their entire refractor assembly. Most are residential so they don't get fixed. Its kinda sad...

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

chapman84
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 11:05:28 AM » Author: chapman84
I've noticed that my electric company never replaces refractors when they fall out or get broken. They do occasionally though but not too often.
sss2008

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 05:23:18 PM » Author: sss2008
I hate it when fluorescent lamps fail very early in life. In fact, there was a fluorescent light fixture at my school that was recently re-lamped a few weeks ago after both lamps burned out. The light also has a defective ballast, the light works properly most of the time, but every now and then it will flicker like mad. Well today I noticed that one of the lamps has already burned out in the fixture. :o  Even though the ballast is the issue in this case, it still annoys me when this happens.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 10:02:12 PM » Author: rjluna2
Tunnel lights that has not been maintained for more than 7 years.
MV and MH burning with outer bulb broken.
Halogen bulb with no UV filter.
People touching bare quartz tube with bare hand when installing.
Store selling already broken glass lamp. (I have seen them)
LED retrofit.  They are way too dim despite artificially inflated assumed wattage rating.  I bought one  ::)
CFL/Fluorescent lamp rapidly flickers (like failed fluorescent lamp fitted with Rapid Start ballast) where I tell them that it is bad but doesn't see it.
Automobile LED parking taillight lamp that flickers when you move your eye around it.  >:(

I'll edit when I can think more of them...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:47:54 AM by rjluna2 » Logged

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 06:41:39 PM » Author: lightman64
Do Halogen's need a UV filter?

form109
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 07:37:48 PM » Author: form109
Do Halogen's need a UV filter?

if they are made of Hard Glass or Doped Quartz then no....but undoped Quartz requires a UV Shield.
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 07:59:43 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Halogen lamps, as they run hotter, emit a SLIGHT amount of UV radiations, much less than merc or MH lamps.

It is even safer than a Blacklight Blue!  ;D

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:57 AM » Author: joseph_125
I know this is an old thread but mine are:
1. Tacky and dangerous lighting installations such as extension cord wiring and using NM wire outdoors to feed lighting fixtures
2. The 2010 magnetic ballast ban just because they are not as efficient as electronics
3. Dirty fixtures that are so full of bugs that it only glows at night
4. Lack of maintenance of fixtures such as burnt out lamps, dayburners, cycling lamps etc.
5. Humming and squealing electronic ballast aren't they supposed to be silent?
6. Not really lighting related but cheap lighting fixtures that don't include the mounting hardware and/or include cheap wirenuts
7. Single switch that controls all the lights on a office floor
8. People using open CFLs in outside motion detector lights
9. Mixing different optics in streetlight fixtures such as a FCO fixture in a row of drop lenses
10.LED Traffic signals that only light up half or flickering ones   
KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:58 PM » Author: KEDER
Here are mine:

Banning lamps and ballast cause of effenciency. (all lamps have ups and downs. they just look at efficiency.)

High Pressure Sodium having a horrid hot color temp.

Phillips making crappy MV lamps.

TV shows saying to replace all incandescents with CFL's, (they say all, so peole wil not watch to put them in dimmers. then those people will learn by a house fire because a CFL in a dimmer. or them getting wet.)

thats all, i think
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies