Author Topic: Can phones ring during thunder storm?  (Read 1833 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Can phones ring during thunder storm? « on: July 29, 2019, 06:01:32 PM » Author: Cole D.
I always heard not to be on landline phone during the lightning storm. Since surges can come through the phone line. But has anyone ever heard telephone ringing during lightning storms? I heard that the older telephones can do this if a surge comes down the line. The voltage on a phone line is about 5VDC but during ringing it is 90V so a lightning hitting the line can cause a surge to ring the phone.

I don't know if this can happen over an electronic or cordless phone though.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can phones ring during thunder storm? « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 12:59:06 AM » Author: Medved
The normal bias voltage on landline phones is something between 24 and 60VDC, usually the same value of AC (25 or 30Hz) superimposed on it when ringing.
The lighting can not cause classic ringing, but it can cause dings. Mainly when wiring goes above ground, it forms rather long antenna, capable to pick up a lot of things.
The voltage had to be limited by surge arresters to some kV peak (well below what the insulation should be able to handle), but often these protectors became faulty without anyone noticing. Then the surge could remain unclamped and so break down the case insulation and so form safety hazard. Therefore the recommendation to not use it at storms...

No more selfballasted c***

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Can phones ring during thunder storm? « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:25:37 AM » Author: icefoglights
Unless the storm damages the lines or equipment, landline phones continue to function normally during a storm.  It's a generally considered not a good idea to use a landline phone during a thunderstorm, especially with a corded handset, but there's nothing to stop you from doing so.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies