Author Topic: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers?  (Read 366 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « on: August 11, 2019, 11:33:21 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I was diagnosed with Aspergers when i was like 7. I have trouble with social situations sometimes and don't catch social cues too quickly sometimes. I also have ADHD .. the ADHD becomes pretty obvious when someone asks me a question and I'll be like "huh?" then immediately answer their question without further talk on their end.

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

Lumex120

View Gallery

105555521242365640724 UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg zfarmadillo
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:47:10 PM » Author: Lumex120
I was never officially diagnosed with anything like that but when I was 10 or so they said it's likely I might have high functioning aspergers. I apparently never really showed any other symptoms of it (like difficulty in social situations) besides my weird interests. I still don't really let people know about my lighting hobby unless they are really close friends though.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

dor123

View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:12:04 AM » Author: dor123
I was diagnosed as asperger at age 17.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 230-240V, 50hz country.

Men of God

View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:57:03 PM » Author: Men of God
我们的现状很相似,我也很少让周围的朋友知道我对照明收藏感兴趣,我都只是在QQ空间传图片而已,在现实生活中没有和我一样的爱好者。。

Our status quo is very similar. I rarely let my friends around me know that I am interested in lighting collection. I just pass pictures in QQ space. In real life, there is no fan like me. .

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 03:05:55 PM » Author: suzukir122
I don't have Autism, or Aspergers, but I do have difficulty in social situations. This has absolutely nothing to do with
my lighting interest. The difficulty I have in terms of relating to people also leads to my depression.
I've got ADHD as well though, but not as bad as when I was a kid. Dude... it was BAD when I was a kid. And ADHD occurred
about 95% of the time, because of the lighting around me in school. Especially during an EOL. 100% of my attention
was always fixated on the light about to EOL. I'll leave it to you guys to imagine how ridiculous I looked in class.

Interests
1. Motorcycles, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weighting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Yep
Lighting has been a passion of mine since I was born. I consider everyone on LG to be a friend

CEB1993

View Gallery

Camden

Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 05:43:05 PM » Author: CEB1993
I am not Autistic and do not have Aspergers, although I did have ADD/ADHD as a kid.  I would have trouble paying attention at school and focusing on getting homework done. Surprisingly, caffeine in Diet Coke or coffee helped me to calm down and focus on my school work when I was younger.  I've grown out of most of my ADD/ADHD behaviors now as an adult, and caffeine still helps me calm down and focus.  I guess I have funky brain/body chemistry.

Of course, places with lots of lights to look at stole all my attention.  I had trouble diverting my attention to anything else besides an eye-catching fluorescent, metal halide, etc.  Now that I'm older I've learned to appreciate my eye for and knowledge of lighting  Smiley

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 05:59:00 PM » Author: suzukir122
Heck, now that I think about it a little more, I definitely still have ADHD, but mainly when it comes to lighting. If I were to
see a fluorescent lamp going EOL, I'd do almost anything to take a look at what it's doing, instantly forgetting about whatever
else I was originally doing... not just as a kid, but nowadays as well. Same goes for Metal Halides, Mercury Vapors and HPS start ups,
or any other lamps relevant to those. Just too cool and eye catching for me not to pay attention to them.

Interests
Yep
Lighting has been a passion of mine since I was born. I consider everyone on LG to be a friend

HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 07:07:18 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Man that must've been a struggle... Did the teachers ever get mad and shut the lights off or replace the bulb?

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:30:13 AM » Author: suzukir122
HomeBrewLamps, yes, yes, and yes. The teachers often would get mad and wonder what the heck I'm looking at, and
I had one teacher (Mrs. Ragland) call the maintenance to fix a fixture with an EOL lamp. (34 watt Philips Alto,
broken electrode filament on one end, so zero EOL show) I will never forget this... that maintenance guy literally
replaced the ballast with an electronic one, followed by 32 watt warm white Philips Alto's on the spot. All because
I opened my big mouth and pointed to the light telling Mrs Ragland that the light wasn't working. This was all in 3rd
grade. Then there's another awesome school story EOL that took place in the library. I will have to write about
that another time. There's tons of stories I've had from school, involving lighting. Especially EOL's.

Interests
Yep

Fluorescent05

View Gallery

Zack

Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 09:44:27 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome at age 4. I also have ADHD, which I take medication for. Before my doctor found the correct dose of the medication, I would stare up at the lights all the time. In preschool, I would try to start awkward conversations about lights and nobody would care. Around the same time, I would build fake fluorescent lights out of tinker toys. In my preschool class's show and/or tell, I would talk about our family's new plasma TV in the family room. It progressed to the point where the teacher stopped me and asked if I had anything else to say/share, but I always said no. Also, when I was younger, I would freak out when my parents would take different routes to places that I knew how to get to. By the time I reached first grade, I had started to talk about things other than lights, but I would still behave weirdly. I picked my nose on the school bus, which turned a kindergarten friend into someone who bullied me for 7 years. I am doing great now but I am still slightly socially awkward.

Don't be fooLED, T8 IS the worst thing to do to a magnetic T12 fixture.

fluorescent lover 40

View Gallery

Lights are awesome! :)

Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 10:31:05 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I believe I had Aspergers and ADHD until I was four. I played with others but my talking was off. My elementary school had F40T12 wraparound lights in the classrooms and when one light went EOL/flickering while I did my work, I finished the work as fast as possible to stare at the light all day lol. Despite my weird social skills (I'm an introvert), I never got bullied and actually had a normal life. Getting better little by little though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:29:17 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged

Power provider: Southern California Edison (SCE)

-Date decoder of some US lamps 1960-present.
-Switch and receptacle collector.
-I'll save any vintage lamp! Smiley

GE101R

View Gallery

Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 05:36:35 AM » Author: GE101R
Nope. Just intrigued at street lights and pole transformers at 15yrs old because I was around them with my dad. Fixated maybe when the mercury first started appearing and we got one for the backyard. Nobody else I knew was interested so I winged it alone until I went to work for an electric utility. 
suzukir122

View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How many people here have Autism/Aspergers? « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 05:48:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
One other thing I had as a kid, and still have a tad bit (as all of you will soon eventually find out) is speech impediment.
I do often times stutter... especially when I'm arguing.

Interests
Yep

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines