Author Topic: Are LED streetlights junk ???  (Read 3700 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Are LED streetlights junk ??? « on: May 12, 2019, 04:49:10 PM » Author: Jovan
Hello to everyone.I wanted to ask are LED streetlight fixtures junk ? In 2015 near my primary school workers replaced 2 HPS lamps with LED lamps.These LED lamps work today but I personally like HPS bulb colour.These are first LED fittings mounted.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 05:47:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
LED streetlights are like anything else that can be bought, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !  That said, If whoever bought the LED lamps bought good ones, then there shouldn't be a problem. This applies to ALL kinds of lighting. Buy low quality lighting most likely you get bad results. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:48:38 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:16:51 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Some are junk, and some are proving to be very versatile and good.  The big question will be how well they hold up in the 5-10 year range when they really start to pay for themselves and earn a little savings $$$.  My community went with the Philips RoadFocus 4000k LED cobraheads to replace 100, 150, 250, and 400W HPS and at 3 years old having endured a few 100 degree f days and -20 f days, I've not seen any major or minor failures.  The only issues we have around here are with blown fuses and other underground wiring faults- but that's been a problem all along, even with the HPS.  The only disadvantage to the LEDs is that they don't like power reduction.. meaning if the fixture is not getting the full voltage then it will rapidly cycle on and off.  When I first started seeing it, I thought the fixtures were bad, but was re-assured by the techs that I ran into what the issue was and that once they fixed the low line voltage the fixture resumed working properly without needing any attention. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:34:06 AM » Author: dor123
The main problem with LED streetlights, is their light content, which contains too much blue compared to other light sources, which can cause eye damage. Also: You can't replace lamps in these.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 12:13:12 PM » Author: Jovan
The main problem with LED streetlights, is their light content, which contains too much blue compared to other light sources, which can cause eye damage. Also: You can't replace lamps in these.

Thanks for answering to everyone.In Stara Pazova they mounted LED lights instead of HPS.I am not happy and new lamp uses only 25W which is bad.Easier is to replace bulb when it dies than replacing and rewiring whole lamp.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:17:39 PM by Jovan » Logged
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:11:22 AM » Author: Lumex120
This is one of the ugliest LED streetlights that could possibly be made. The original A/E would never produce an ugly duckling like this.
Those would look so much better if they just centered the top IMO. What's really an insult to outdoor lighting IMO is the Cooper Verdeon.

Unofficial LG Discord

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 11:14:14 AM » Author: FGS
This is one of the ugliest LED streetlights that could possibly be made. The original A/E would never produce an ugly duckling like this.

So you’re calling the GE Form 109 ugly as well?  ??? :o

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:50:08 PM » Author: FGS
In my opinion, yes. But the others since 1920 are mostly aesthetically better than the cheap toy looking LED. A/E has some halfway decent looking cobras but the price tag retail is 1300.00 on Grainger of which I am sure the utilities could get them cheaper from the manufacturer. But the rush to get LED in the air has gotten too fast paced and some of the LEDs that have come out only a few years ago are now being discontinued. Street lights are seen in the daytime and their construction design is as important as their light output.

Don’t use Grainger for pricing reference. They’re generally overpriced if you ask me. Better email the source of the item you want to know the MSRP of something.

Streetlights are generally utilitarian in design be it LEDs or classic discharge. Though I’ve seen lights of varying beauty levels. Ugliest LEDs would be the Greenstar Lighting’s Galaxy Series*. For HIDs, it’s AE’s Durastar 2000 series*.

(*Not liable for nightmares caused by them should you decide to look them up.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 03:59:51 PM » Author: AngryHorse
What, worse than this.........

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 07:50:50 PM » Author: BT25
So ugly, even it's mother would hate it!

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 07:52:50 PM » Author: BT25

So you’re calling the GE Form 109 ugly as well?  ??? :o
Yes indeed. I actually had one of these and got rid of it because I couldn't look at it anymore!

Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 07:56:20 PM » Author: BT25
What, worse than this.........
Looks like a flying metal...something from an Austin Powers movie. :o

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Are LED streetlights junk ??? « Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 11:18:25 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Right up there. UK?
Thankfully I’ve never seen any of these in use anywhere in the UK, they are of course Chinese, but I’m not sure if China themselves use this or not?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies