Author Topic: Suggestions for removing street lights?  (Read 2196 times)
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Suggestions for removing street lights? « on: September 13, 2019, 08:33:46 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
There are 2 Mercury Vapor Westinghouse Silverliner street lights that I have permission to remove.  But they are about 25-30 feet high and I don't have any way to reach this high.  Do you have any suggestions?  That don't cost a lot of money?  One looks like it will fall soon, so I need to get this done.
(I will post pictures in my album)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:00 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Have you checked home depot ? The one near me (Ohio) rents a portable boom lift that can be towed behind a vehicle and will reach to 35 Ft. I think it rents for $199 for 1/2 day . I don't know what your budget is so also try calling around to different rental companies, you may find one even cheaper ! Good Luck !!! Hope you can save them !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 02:22:06 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
Some old poles have nails in them so the linemen could climb them to do maintenance. You could always try putting some nails in, although it would probably be kind of dangerous, and you would need a harness. I would build a tall ladder out of framing lumber to reach it if I were you. It would probably be the cheapest option, considering 30ft ladders are about $300, and renting a lift is about $200. Take this with a grain of salt though, since I’ve never done this myself.

Edit: I wrote this late at night, and thinking about it now, it’s probably not the smartest. Admittedly, I was thinking of a folding ladder, not a leaning ladder, and I do have a family full of engineers so I could probably design a halfway safe ladder. Nevertheless, it’s a stupid idea I wrote late at night, pay it no mind.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:37:02 PM by Mr. Orthosilicate » Logged
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 01:38:01 AM » Author: tolivac
I would NEVER use a homemade ladder-better to buy or rent one-what is your safety and life worth?And using a ladder on a pole-at the same time trying to maneuver a heavy light is VERY dangerous.Try to rent a lift or pay someone that has the proper equipment get the light for you.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 01:43:39 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I kinda feel like it might be cheaper to pay someone with a bucket truck than renting the proper equipment and doing it yourself. Even if you remove a streetlight piece by piece, the individual parts are still fairly hefty.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 07:49:44 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I`ve been wondering how much it would cost to hire someone to take them down too.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 10:41:40 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
i don`t know anybody who has a bucket truck.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:35 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Hiya,
I would recommend doing an online search for bucket trucks in your local area.

Hugs and Stuff Sammi   :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:55:34 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Suggestions for removing street lights? « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 02:12:21 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I would look up some local electricians and lighting service companies online and then call or email them asking how much it would cost to remove a light.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies