Author Topic: Possible to wire RS ballast to preheat?  (Read 335 times)
Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Possible to wire RS ballast to preheat? « on: August 25, 2019, 11:24:40 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Heres something i never thought id ask! I have an experiment id like to try but i dont have any preheat ballasts. Was wondering if i can wire those small can 1 lamp RS ballasts to preheat with a starter. Not looking for anything permanent but just something to try and see. Thanks.

It would be the ballasts with 2 reds and 2 blues but i also have the kind with the shared com wire.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:26:29 AM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged
sol

View Gallery

Re: Possible to wire RS ballast to preheat? « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 11:45:43 AM » Author: sol
Although I've never tried it, many here have done so with success. You just unhook one red and one blue from either end of the lamp. The unconnected pins go to the starter loop (with FS-4 or equivalent starter). If it doesn't work satisfactorily, try the other red or the other blue. It might take a few tries to get it to work because both blues and both reds are not 100% identical.

I believe someone here had a ballast with burnt out heating coils and this "saved" it.
Medved

View Gallery

Re: Possible to wire RS ballast to preheat? « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 11:58:35 AM » Author: Medved
First it would be possible only with mains frequency magnetics, not electronic.
The ballast should be matching the lamp.
Normally the RS uses low voltage secondary to feed the filament, so you should see about 3..6V across each filament connection, when powered without the lamp. Beware, there is few 100's V towards ground on one end, so becareful and treat it accordingly...
Use one wire belonging to each lamp end to feed one pin at each lamp end, connect the starter of your liking to the other terminals.

Some ballasts may be actually already internally wired as "preheat", with an electronic starter circuit making the ballast effectively RS or even programmed start with respect of how they treat the lamp. You may check this by simple V-metr, measuring voltages without any lamp. If the higher voltage (100V and above) is present only between two wires belonging to the opposite tube ends and not between the other two, you are encountering such ballast. Then use just the two wires where you have seen the voltage and wire the starter of your liking to the other two.

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Possible to wire RS ballast to preheat? « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:53:57 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
It worked great, is there a way to do this with the 1 lamp F40 ballasts that have 2 red wires and 1 blue with shared com (neutral)
xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Possible to wire RS ballast to preheat? « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:26:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Lightingguy1994
It worked great, is there a way to do this with the 1 lamp F40 ballasts that have 2 red wires and 1 blue with shared com (neutral)
You simply use the blue and one red to the lamp (it does make a difference which red - use the one which gives you highest lamp current when its lit).

The black & white are simply used to power the ballast, no connections to anything else.

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines