Author Topic: Fluo Starter Sockets  (Read 4228 times)
Madness
Fluo Starter Sockets « on: December 01, 2008, 12:04:42 AM » Author: Madness
Greetings, was given a couple of preheat ballasts which, among other things, can drive a pair of F15T8 tubes. So, I want to build a "naked" setup (wooden base is fine) to run some spares of these tubes. I know I can get the lamp sockets at Home Depot, but what about those GU-looking sockets for the starters? Easy to find? Update: Although, I found some online, I'd like to buy local to avoid outrageous shipping charges.

Side note: I've acquired several other portable preheat fixtures (besides the desk lamp shown in the gallery) from the area Goodwills. One of which is a backlit Coors beer sign using an F8T5 tube. It was missing the starter but I got a pack of GE FS-2's @ Walmart. So I have one spare for my project above.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:57:41 AM by Madness » Logged
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluo Starter Sockets « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:19:47 PM » Author: arcblue
I ordered mine online. I couldn't find any hardware store locally that stocked them. Previously, there was a lighting store that special-ordered me a number of them in a shipment with some other things. It's something you could try with a hardware store chain or lighting-specialty store, but you may have to order a very large quantity of them (the sockets are very inexpensive, but there are usually minimum quantity restrictions). Even ordering online could be a problem, as the shipping will cost more than the sockets unless you buy some other stuff while you're at it. Or order a bunch of sockets, and then offer the remainder to people on this board or sell on eBay.

I'm lampin...

Madness
Re: Fluo Starter Sockets « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:34:50 AM » Author: Madness
Yeah, came across one site selling "Perfecto" brand sockets for 94 cents each. But then they wanted $10-15 to ship four! If anyone on here has some spares, I'll take some.
Madness
Re: Fluo Starter Sockets « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:19:09 PM » Author: Madness
BTW: Would starters fit GU-10 halogen sockets?
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluo Starter Sockets « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:56:07 AM » Author: SeanB~1
No they do not. I have no problem getting starter sockets, just go to any electrical wholesaler and they sell them, along with the fitting ends. You may struggle to get certain styles, but generally the most common sockets are available that use push in wiring. Cost is very low, though certain wholesalers have a minimum invoice amount, generally you buy a few plug tops extra and the cost is covered.
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Fluo Starter Sockets « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:57:06 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I find mine on stove! I know a place (and even two! ;D) where there is at least one stove per week!!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluo Starter Sockets « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:59:08 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Go to a surplus place or those places that sells trash or whatever....perhaps you can get them there...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies