Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian  (Read 2688 times)
GE101R
Hurricane Dorian « on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:41 AM » Author: GE101R
Hope everybody in it's path take precautions and more than that I hope it swerves North and then East while missing landfall on the USA. Retired Navy friend of mine just started building his house in central Florida three weeks ago. Framed and roof on. And we think that we have it bad sometimes.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 10:40:37 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
1st image is the latest NHC (National Hurricane Center) prediction.
2nd image shows multiple models with different possible paths...some showing it not making landfall at all.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 10:44:58 AM » Author: Cole D.
Interesting more of it seem to take it off the edge of Florida similar to how Hurricane Matthew did in 2016. The red looped track is really interesting. Some of it takes it up to Georgia and Carolinas. Remember last year Hurricane Florence came on landfall at NC coast near Wilmington and Southport.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:23:19 PM » Author: CEB1993
Looks like the high pressure system over the Atlantic has diminished earlier than expected, allowing Dorian to turn and move north earlier. That’s good news for Florida, but it could make landfall here is South Carolina! 

SC has issued a state of emergency and costal flood advisories are in effect here. Charleston SC, Isle of Palms, and other areas that are popular vacation destinations can expect tropical storm conditions by Wednesday as of today. A lot of unknowns as of right now...

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:24:54 AM » Author: CEB1993
From a Katrina ground zero survivor, I wish you the best.

Thank you, and I glad you made through with Katrina. I’m sure that was an unforgettable experience.

I’m in good shape, about 180 miles away from the coast. While it’s just going to be sunny and calm in my area this week, the coast could be chaos. This storm could also go a bit further north and hit the outer banks of North Carolina like Florence did last year. Definitely an anxious time on the southeast coast right now.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:30:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
The latest NHC update shows it not making landfall at all...but skirting along the coast. This track could end up doing major damage to a very widespread area though. :0 See 1st pic.

2nd pic is latest satellite. The 30-mile wide eye is clearly visible.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:53 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
185 mph sustained and 220 mph gusts. A city killer.
I saw that on the weather.
And  yep! ... Like a giant, and very long lasting tornado. Reinforced Concrete buildings should survive it, but very little else can.

Also the latest multi-model graphic:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 05:34:25 PM » Author: CEB1993
Dorian is threatening to make landfall on the north coast of SC as a category 2 hurricane today.  I've had the news and Weather Channel on today, and there have been live reports of flooding and exploding transformers in Charleston, SC.  Top wind speeds of about 70 mph and a few tornadoes further north in eastern NC.  I'm 180 miles from the coast, and it's been sunny but windy here today. 

I feel for everyone at the coast and my favorite vacation destinations today.  This is one of the most destructive storms of the 21st century to hit SC.  According to TWC website, there are over 260,000 customers without electricity, severe storm surge (about 7 feet), many closed and impassable roads along the coast, and two tornadoes in the Myrtle Beach area.  What a disaster! 

Thoughts and prayers to anyone from the Bahamas to the Mid Atlantic who was affected by this monster storm.

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 06:57:24 PM » Author: Cole D.
I hope everyone is safe in its path. Plus I have family in NC near Research Triangle.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 02:43:01 AM » Author: tolivac
2:00AM Friday-transmitter plant in Greenville,NCthe rain is light-wind to 35MPH went outside for security checks-really not so bad here.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 07:28:22 PM » Author: sol
At the moment, I’m having a quick read on L-G on battery power during an outage caused by the hurricane Dorian here in the Canadian Maritimes. Wind gusts were in the vincinity of 100-110 km/h.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 02:59:37 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
the storm was dying but it bounced back a little.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 09:58:26 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Pretty amazing that thing is still going with hurricane-force winds way up in Newfoundland Canada. (although it is technically no longer a hurricane but a 'post-tropical cyclone')

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 12:02:39 PM » Author: CEB1993
Dorian made its first official US landfall in Cape Hatteras, NC on my birthday, last Friday.  Despite the strong winds, I heard from some family in the area that there was almost no damage and everyone they knew rode it out successfully  :)

It’s incredible how this storm has affected the entire east coast from Florida to Canada! 

Stop the lamp bans!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hurricane Dorian « Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 02:16:11 PM » Author: sol
Still no power and intermittent cell service but otherwise we are OK. It might still be a couple of days before we get power, however.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies