Author Topic: Neighbor with HID light flickering  (Read 1936 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Neighbor with HID light flickering « on: September 17, 2019, 10:18:23 PM » Author: Cole D.
My neighbor down the street, said they have a mercury vapor light that has been having issues. They said it stop working so they replaced the bulb and the photocell and that it only flickers. I'm wondering if they didn't mean a sodium light, because I don't know of any MV lights at their place. However, if it is MV I don't know what the issue could be, but if it's HPS I'm thinking maybe a bad ignitor.

They wanted to know if any other things to check but all I can think is ignitor on an HPS fixture.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:28 PM » Author: High Intensity
It could also be a metal halide fixture.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 03:11:59 AM » Author: Medved
Bad ignitor would just not let the lamp start.
Flickering used to originate from distorted mains voltage (even harmonics and mainly subharmonics, typical from some large load with bad contacts on the same circuit).
Or some ballast component may start failing (flashovers inside of the CWA capacitor,...).
Or the lamp post is vibrating, causing irregular gas movement within the arctube.

No more selfballasted c***

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 04:14:39 AM » Author: High Intensity
I've seen a few cases where an MH or HPS lamp will just flicker while the ignitor tries to start it but is unable to due to the lamp being defective.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:09:22 PM » Author: Cole D.
Now I am not sure, since I know this neighbor had an HPS bucket light, but I noticed last night it was working, so they must be talking of a different light. Unless that is the one they meant, and it's now fixed. In their back yard, they have a GE Town and Country style lantern, that I haven't seen turned on in a long time, but it was HPS also.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 04:55:49 PM » Author: Ash
Merc lamp on HPS gear ? (especially since some HPS ignitors indeed work only in one half cycle)

Bad electronic photocell ? (if the switching component is a Triac, perhaps one half of it died so it rectifies like a diode)

"Bad connection" flickering caused by a bad connection ?
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 10:28:09 PM » Author: Cole D.
They said they replaced the photocell. It could be fixed already, not sure. Loose connection sounds possible also. I was a little confused because they said mercury vapor, but both lights I know of are HPS unless there's another one.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Neighbor with HID light flickering « Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 01:25:29 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Is it working? If not tell them they might need to return the MV and buy an HPS lamp.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies