Author Topic: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast?  (Read 2027 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « on: September 25, 2019, 02:55:29 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I want to try running a 50 watt high pressure sodium lamp on a xenon car headlight ballast. Is this safe?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:05:14 PM » Author: Medved
The automotive MHs are 0.5A 70V lamps, the US HPS is a 1A 55V lamp.
Those ballasts regulate real constant power, so will feed the lamp about 35W.
Because of the lower voltage, it would mean higher secondary currents in the ballast, so it will require decent cooling (check the ballast case temperature).
Otherwise there is nothing overstressed, that HPS would just run underdriven.
Only the ballast safety cutout may trip and shut down, "thinking" the lamp is not able to fully warm up (lost vacuum in the outer would behave in a similar manner), so it may just refuse to operate the 55W HPS

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 10:14:32 PM » Author: dor123
Automotive MH lamps won't ignite at all with the conventional 5KV ignitors, since the xenon pressure inside, is very high, and requires 30KV even for cold starting.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 04:07:15 AM » Author: Medved
Automotive MH lamps won't ignite at all with the conventional 5KV ignitors, since the xenon pressure inside, is very high, and requires 30KV even for cold starting.
But had you read a bit more carefully, the question was about operating a HPS on a n auto-MH ballast. So pretty enough ignition voltage margin here...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 05:07:35 AM » Author: dor123
Ah. I didn't noticed that he wanted to run a 50W HPS on a 35W automotive MH ballast.
The 30KV of the ballast can damage the lamp, as it isn't built to instant hot restrike.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 07:01:43 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Ah. I didn't noticed that he wanted to run a 50W HPS on a 35W automotive MH ballast.
The 30KV of the ballast can damage the lamp, as it isn't built to instant hot restrike.
Would there be an arc inside the outer bulb, but outside the arc tube?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:38:58 AM » Author: dor123
30KV pulse on a screw base HID lamps, can cause arcing in the frame and damage in the base.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:26 AM » Author: takemorepills
Automotive HID ballasts have processor control to monitor lamp condition.
Although I haven't tried an HPS bulb, I do know that most ballasts are super picky about the lamp load they "see". For example, a good ballast may constantly restart, flicker, or turn off with a knock-off Chinese HID bulb. If the Chinese made HID bulb isn't exactly right, the automotive ballast will have issues. I would guess a HPS bulb would have more issues than the fake HID bulbs.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Is it safe to run a 50 watt HPS on a xenon car headlight ballast? « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 10:40:31 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Automotive HID ballasts have processor control to monitor lamp condition.
Although I haven't tried an HPS bulb, I do know that most ballasts are super picky about the lamp load they "see". For example, a good ballast may constantly restart, flicker, or turn off with a knock-off Chinese HID bulb. If the Chinese made HID bulb isn't exactly right, the automotive ballast will have issues. I would guess a HPS bulb would have more issues than the fake HID bulbs.
I tried it, but it didn't warm up.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies