Author Topic: Organisation of Images  (Read 540 times)
James

View Gallery

Organisation of Images « on: September 27, 2019, 12:51:56 PM » Author: James
Very often it is necessary to upload multiple photos of a single object to be able to show its construction in detail - but then when leaving comments it can be very difficult to decide where to write.  Sometimes it's a bit frustrating that the comments on a single item are spread over multiple pages and there can be duplication of info, or easy to miss interesting remarks.

Some members try to get around this by combining multiple separate photos into one single mosaic-type image file and then uploading only that, which I feel leads to a cleaner and more organised situation.  However that takes a lot more work, and sometimes it's not easy to show large images of a certain detail.

I have no idea if it is possible, but wonder if this forum (or a future upgrade) might allow multiple images to be uploaded on a single page so as to enable the maximum detail to be uploaded quickly and easily, while also solving the problem of keeping all comments and images relating to a single item on the same page.
sox35

View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:55:10 PM » Author: sox35
That's an excellent point, James. I have only recently discovered how to combine several images into one for upload, and it does take some work as you say, and the image quality suffers as a result.

I would be very interested if anything could be done along the lines of what you suggest.

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:19:49 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
That's an excellent point, James. I have only recently discovered how to combine several images into one for upload, and it does take some work as you say, and the image quality suffers as a result.

I would be very interested if anything could be done along the lines of what you suggest.

The method I use seems to keep the image quality. I do my combining directly on my phone. All of my mosaic type images you can click on to see the full details.. I'm unsure if most people do though....

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

sox35

View Gallery

Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 02:06:52 PM » Author: sox35
The method I use seems to keep the image quality. I do my combining directly on my phone. All of my mosaic type images you can click on to see the full details.. I'm unsure if most people do though....
I don't use a phone for most of my pictures, and if I did I prefer to do the combining on the PC. Firstly, I've only just discovered how to do it and secondly, I find messing with things on a tiny phone screen rather awkward  Undecided

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 03:19:01 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I don't use a phone for most of my pictures, and if I did I prefer to do the combining on the PC. Firstly, I've only just discovered how to do it and secondly, I find messing with things on a tiny phone screen rather awkward  Undecided

It really isnt all that bad. I use an app called photoshop express. You just select up to 9 images and adjust them to where you want em.

I find it to be a way easier alternative to gimp or Microsoft paint.

I used both programs to create some mosaic type images in my gallery. A couple of old images in my incandescent gallery were combined using gimp.

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

joseph_125

View Gallery

GoL
Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 03:53:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
I use Gimp to combine images or sometimes I have a main picture and an inset picture showing some details like the etch which could be hard to use on the main image. To preserve details, I up the resolution a bit but it would be nice to have built in tool on the site that lets you create the collages or to have multiple pictures in one gallery post.

There's a workaround to have two or more images on one page. I've done it before like like on here. It requires a bit of work as you have to create two copies of the second image. A approximately 640x480 px image to display on the gallery page and the full sized version. Then you have to host both copies on an external site and then when you upload, you use the bbcode markup supported in the gallery description to use the 640x480 image as the inline image and create a link to the larger image so you can enlarge it. The bbcode example I have below is how I usually do it.

Code:
[url={Insert large image URL}][img]{Insert 640 x 480 image URL}[/img][/url]
James

View Gallery

Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 04:22:35 PM » Author: James
That is a superb layout Joseph, and exactly what I meant!  It nicely groups the images together and you can still click on them to view the full-size originals.  I wonder if the LG administrators could find a way to make this possible without having to host offline or use complex codes.  I am sure this cannot be the only forum with such a requirement and that others must have solved it already.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:49 PM » Author: Patrick
This isn't necessarily any easier, but you can also do what @joseph_125 did and host the alternate images on this site.  Instead of uploading the extra files to imgur, put them in a private album here.  Then copy the URLs inserting them the same way as above.  Because the files are in a private album, they won't be visible separately.  However, despite being private, you can embed them elsewhere for others to see.  Just make sure you take the URL of the actual picture (click the image and copy its URL), rather than the URL of the page containing the image.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:51:19 PM by Patrick » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Gallery

GoL
Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 09:35:16 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I actually didn't think of using the private album feature to upload all the extra files to. That's a better option for those that don't want to mess around with imgur or other 3rd party sites. Plus doing that will also resize the images for you to the correct LG size for the embedded image so you don't have to resize manually.
James

View Gallery

Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 11:27:21 PM » Author: James
Thanks for all these valuable tips, this gives me some motivation to upload more old lamps to LG and have a go at the solutions proposed!
sox35

View Gallery

Re: Organisation of Images « Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 05:45:57 AM » Author: sox35
Hmmm, that idea has merit, but unless I'm wrong it doesn't allow you to arrange two or more images overlapping so you can insert a smaller image of say a lamp etch onto the main picture of the lamp itself. That's what I want to be able to do.

Ria in Aberdeen

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines