Author Topic: Vintage Christmas bulbs, what kind of paint did they use?  (Read 2586 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage Christmas bulbs, what kind of paint did they use? « on: September 28, 2019, 01:07:06 PM » Author: takemorepills
I have a bunch of functional C6 bulbs that are missing their paint.

My older C6 bulbs had a type of flat paint that is semi-transparent when the bulb is lit, you can make out the filament when lit.

My less-old C6's have a typical outside paint, semi-gloss, just like most bulbs from the late 60's-70's.

I can't figure out what kind of paint and painting process was used on these bulbs.

In my experience over the years, most paints (especially the non-transparent kind) do not pass light very well and don't go on evenly. Even the transparent lacquers don't go on smoothly. And C6 bulbs get very hot, every single paint I've ever used wouldn't tolerate the heat of a light bulb.

How did the manufacturers do it back then? I'd love to repaint my bulbs if I could find the right paint. I wouldn't mind buying a small airbrush system to do it.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Vintage Christmas bulbs, what kind of paint did they use? « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:18:51 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm not altogether sure what they would have used, but there are a few different types of paint that can be used for light bulbs.

I found this one on eBay, the seller is in Germany but you may find something similar locally.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Christmas bulbs, what kind of paint did they use? « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:59:52 AM » Author: takemorepills
I've found good transparent paint, but have yet to figure out what kind of "flat" paint did they use in the 30's and 40's?

I went looking through my C6 collection, and their is 2 distinct types of paint on the USA made bulbs: flat and semi-gloss.

The flat paint looks very good. The semi-gloss looks kind of like Krylon, I can tell any disparity in thickness of application causes obvious dark spots in the paint.

I've tried searching patents and such, can't find any info. All of the people who made these bulbs are probably dead by now.. :(
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Vintage Christmas bulbs, what kind of paint did they use? « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:37:02 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
All of the people who made these bulbs are probably dead by now.. :(

Ouija Board

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies