Author Topic: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb  (Read 12678 times)
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:58 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
What are your general opinions on Wifi Connected light bulbs that allow you to do things like choose the color sync to music and set automatic on/off timers? On that note what are some of your favorite ones? By far my favorite one is the LIFX which gives you the full spectrum of colors as well as whites from 2700K to 9000K.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:34:25 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
What are your general opinions on Wifi Connected light bulbs that allow you to do things like choose the color sync to music and set automatic on/off timers? On that note what are some of your favorite ones? By far my favorite one is the LIFX which gives you the full spectrum of colors as well as whites from 2700K to 9000K.

Haven't messed with any yet.

I don't have any wifi either...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:25 AM » Author: takemorepills
I use a LIFX 1100L RGBW in my GE gumball to simulate different kinds of light sources.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 01:51:46 AM » Author: dor123
Are these lamps have only red, green and blue LEDs, or some other colors LEDs?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:22:31 AM » Author: AngryHorse
WiFi for lamps seems a bit pointless to me, their like those Alexa things, I for one don’t want my house like the starship Enterprise!  ;D, “computer go to red alert LED”!!!  :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 07:43:19 AM » Author: Rommie
WiFi for lamps seems a bit pointless to me, their like those Alexa things, I for one don’t want my house like the starship Enterprise!  ;D, “computer go to red alert LED”!!!  :D
There was a guy on telly a while back that had actually done that, his living room was an almost perfect copy of the Enterprise bridge  :D :o

Regarding wifi lights, agreed 100%. Same as those speaker things, we wouldn't have anything that listens to us and sends the recordings back to Google or Amazon or whoever. In fact I don't think we use wifi for anything here, apart from downloading books to Sammi's Kindle.

Apart from anything else, the things are LED  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 09:34:20 AM » Author: takemorepills
Are these lamps have only red, green and blue LEDs, or some other colors LEDs?

Hue, LIFX and Lightify use high quality red, green, blue, warm white and cool white LEDs. You can set the color any way you want. You can make saturated pure red, or you can have soft-pink by adding white into the color.

Many of the cheap Chinese bulbs don't allow mixing of white into the colors, but the better bulbs do.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:39:11 AM » Author: takemorepills
I'm not into "home automation" unless it's a traditional wall timer.

I don't understand having wi-fi connected white lights. The apps and necessary internet connection aren't reliable enough as far as I am concerned, to replace a darn wall switch.

BUT, the wi-fi connected HUE, LIFX and Lightify are pretty nice for making custom colors. You can even program them to be a certain color when you use a normal power switch (that's what I do) I set mine to a static color, say soft-pink for the bar area, so they always come on that color.
If I feel like changing the color, I can use my phone to do that.

How else can you simulate all the different types of old-school lighting? https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4257&pos=3&pid=165024
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:44:15 AM » Author: Rommie
If I feel like changing the color, I can use my phone to do that.

How else can you simulate all the different types of old-school lighting? https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4257&pos=3&pid=165024

I suppose if you want to do that, fine. But to me, room lights are for illuminating the room. I'm a simple soul at heart  8)

Besides, if I want a different colour, I can always light a SOX lamp  ;D 8)

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 12:46:10 PM » Author: Ash
This is my preferred way of controlling my lighting :
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 01:35:48 PM » Author: dor123
This is my preferred way of controlling my lighting :

Indeed.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 01:59:15 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Smart lighting is great.

Automate them, select any color tone you want for any mood and really make your lighting personal.

These crappy Chinese ones with a small nasty remote are pure crap, but the Philip's stuff is top notch. High quality bulbs (i have colleagues that has had them in service for years)and great funtionality. You do not have to use the app to control them, there are wall breakers you can buy and a small assortment of remote controls (some that double as a wall breaker) you can use. Besides being used for mood and party lighting, they are great for security and simple automation.

This is truly one of the most exciting applications of LED's. This whole "oho we hate leds and all that is new" is a pretty common sentiment among all kinds of collectors and is quite frankly reactionary. It's like railroad enthusiast who believe old dirty diesel locos should be used all over the world and they hate all kinds of new installations and new locomotives, even thou they are far superior. This is something that truly improves peoples lives, far greater than what any old incandescent bulb ever could.

I sell tonnes of these bulbs at work, they work great and people really like them. I think they are great.

Made in Sweden

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 02:06:09 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Smart lighting is great.

Automate them, select any color tone you want for any mood and really make your lighting personal.

These crappy Chinese ones with a small nasty remote are pure crap, but the Philip's stuff is top notch. High quality bulbs (i have colleagues that has had them in service for years)and great funtionality. You do not have to use the app to control them, there are wall breakers you can buy and a small assortment of remote controls (some that double as a wall breaker) you can use. Besides being used for mood and party lighting, they are great for security and simple automation.

This is truly one of the most exciting applications of LED's. This whole "oho we hate leds and all that is new" is a pretty common sentiment among all kinds of collectors and is quite frankly reactionary. It's like railroad enthusiast who believe old dirty diesel locos should be used all over the world and they hate all kinds of new installations and new locomotives, even thou they are far superior. This is something that truly improves peoples lives, far greater than what any old incandescent bulb ever could.

I sell tonnes of these bulbs at work, they work great and people really like them. I think they are great.

Yes, in your opinion smart lighting is great, and for a lot of people it may well be the way forward.
Just remember this is a site for enthusiasts of all lighting technologies and consider our viewpoints.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 02:19:03 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

We prefer to do it the old school way, and light a lamp of each type.  8) :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 02:38:46 PM » Author: Rommie
Each to their own. If you like this sort of lamp, fine, go for it. But as with anything else, it's a mistake to push things onto people. Just because you like a particular form of lighting (or locomotive, car, or whatever) it's not a good thing to evangelise over it. Do that too often, and people will turn against you. I know, I have made this mistake in the past on many, many occasions.

Personally, I like discharge lighting, steam trains and V8 powered cars, but I can understand they're not for everyone.

The word "progress" can mean many things. It should not mean disregarding everything that came before.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:41:12 PM by sox35 » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies