Author Topic: My Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence is dimmer than my Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K  (Read 1218 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

My Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence is dimmer than my Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K « on: November 21, 2019, 11:03:13 AM » Author: dor123
I replaced my Electra rebranded Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K to my Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence, in order to get a warm light during the cold winter, and got noticed that the light is much dimmer with the Osram than with the Venture.
The Osram uses cerium, thallium, sodium + lithium as an impurity from the quartz, and the Electra rebranded Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K, have sodium and scandium. Both chemistry are known for their high efficiency.
Why this is occuring?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: My Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence is dimmer than my Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 12:49:53 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Maybe the outer envelope lost vacuum and it doesn't have proper thermal insulation?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence is dimmer than my Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:09:57 PM » Author: dor123
The outerbulb looks fine. Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence from Germany, are durable lamps. The Osram have 5925lm rated, and the Venture have 5500lm @ 100 hours, and it is passed this mark, as it was used a lot.
Also: Without a vacuum in the outerbulb, the Osram lamp won't start, since it don't have Kr-85 in the arctube, and the coronal wire won't be functional.
I would expect that the chemistry of the Osram lamp (Ce-Tl-Na-Li), would give similar lumens to the Venture lamp (Na-Sc), as cerium is used in the Philips Cosmopolis, and in lots of high efficiency CMH lamps. Otherwise, why CMH lamps don't contains Na-Sc?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:32:45 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence is dimmer than my Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:04:15 PM » Author: Max
I had a similar issue with this lamp several years ago: the color was off and the light output was too low. It turns out that the IBL electronic ballast that I used drove the lamp at a too low wattage, i.e. 71 W vs. the needed 78 W. I think that you have a similar issue with your system. I suspect that Osram optimized its HQI-TS Excellence lamps for an operation on inductor ballasts.

By the way, where did you get the lamp's chemistry from? I was not aware it contained cerium. I'll look into its spectrum to find evidence of that.

"Otherwise, why CMH lamps don't contains Na-Sc?" - because scandium is too chemically active compared to rare-earth elements, and the performances of arcs burning in scandium-based fill chemistrys do not improve as dramatically as those of dysprosium-based chemistries at the higher operating temperatures of ceramic burners.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence is dimmer than my Venture MH-DE 70W/UVS/4K « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 12:19:33 AM » Author: dor123
I think I'm heard from one of the members here, that the Osram Excellence chemistry is based of Cerium.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies