Author Topic: GEC Super SOX burning positions  (Read 3272 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

GEC Super SOX burning positions « on: October 18, 2019, 02:10:06 PM » Author: Rommie
Hi all, I know that the forum describes post-1980 as modern, but as this 1981 lamp is no longer made and is significantly different in design from current SOX lamps, I feel it belongs here.

My question is this. I have just acquired a lovely 18W GEC Super SOX lamp from March 1981 and reading the leaflet that comes with it (see below) it states that the burning positions of ALL ratings of SOX lamps is ± 20° of horizontal, including vertically cap up.

Since I have always understood this to only apply to the lower wattages (up to 55W) I was surprised to read that this apparently applies to ALL ratings, including the 135W and 180W lamps  :o

I am not sure I would want to run a 180W lamp vertically, has anyone ever done this and if so, how did the lamp react..?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:20:45 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 03:53:26 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I can only see it being a problem for Philips lamps, because of the shear amount of sodium their filled with?, but GECs Shaw made lamps only had it in the U bend, and as long as it was properly supported I don’t see how running a 180 vertical would significantly hurt it?
Not that anyone would have a reason to run a 180 vertical though  ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:13:09 PM » Author: Rommie
I can only see it being a problem for Philips lamps, because of the shear amount of sodium their filled with?, but GECs Shaw made lamps only had it in the U bend, and as long as it was properly supported I don’t see how running a 180 vertical would significantly hurt it?
Not that anyone would have a reason to run a 180 vertical though
  ;D
You won't get me trying it..! Mind you I'd have to get a 180W lamp first  :-\

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 08:45:51 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'd love to light a hallway with vertically mounted 180 watt Sox lamps internally built into pillars in the walls.

Probably would be blindingly bright but the effect is probably cool.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 12:20:30 PM » Author: AngryHorse
For the most part you would have to support it’s weight on the dome end so as to not pull the BC cap or its pins off!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 01:07:49 PM » Author: Rommie
For the most part you would have to support it’s weight on the dome end so as to not pull the BC cap or its pins off!
Indeed. As an aside, why were SOX lamps always made with virtually standard BC caps..? The BY22d version used for the majority of LPS is marginally different, with the extra piece between the cap contacts (which is, I believe, to help with the prevention of high ignition voltage jumping between the terminals) but it's essentially a domestic lamp cap. The vast majority of discharge lamps other than SOX (with the historical exception of some of the lower wattage mercury lamps which used the 3-pin BC cap) use either E26/27 or E39/40 caps. Why don't SOX lamps use these..?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:19:06 PM by sox35 » Logged

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 02:31:37 PM » Author: takemorepills
Indeed. As an aside, why were SOX lamps always made with virtually standard BC caps..? The BY22d version used for the majority of LPS is marginally different, with the extra piece between the cap contacts (which is, I believe, to help with the prevention of high ignition voltage jumping between the terminals) but it's essentially a domestic lamp cap. The vast majority of discharge lamps other than SOX (with the historical exception of some of the lower wattage mercury lamps which used the 3-pin BC cap) use either E26/27 or E39/40 caps. Why don't SOX lamps use these..?

Probably because you want to have assured lamp positioning in the fixture.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 02:51:17 PM » Author: Rommie
Probably because you want to have assured lamp positioning in the fixture.
Possibly, but the 3-pin BC cap has been used in the past for some lamps that need this. I have a projector lamp that uses one (see picture).

There are screw caps with locator devices on them that could be used. For a vertically positioned lamp, especially a big one, I would much prefer some form of screw cap to a bayonet one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:58:42 PM by sox35 » Logged

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 05:08:02 PM » Author: James
The 3pin B22d cap was introduced for mercury lamps because they would be destroyed if accidentally installed in a 230V mains lampholder for ordinary bayonet incandescent lamps.  However until the advent of the 2nd generation SOX 18W with an internal capacitor to allow use in USA, other LPS lamps do not strike if installed on the mains supply.  So there was limited risk of the arc striking on the mains, and no need for the unusual 3-pin caps.  Moreover the luminous intensity distribution of SOX lamps is symmetrical around a 180d plane, so it makes more sense to use a lamp cap having that same mechanical symmetry.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GEC Super SOX burning positions « Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 09:04:25 AM » Author: Rommie
Thanks, James. Is it really possible to run the big 135W and 180W lamps vertically, though..? It seems a bit risky to me, I'm certainly not about to try it  :o :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies