Author Topic: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion  (Read 231 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « on: October 24, 2019, 03:54:09 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've just purchased a Thorn Gamma 6 lantern, that will arrive in the middle of next week.

It's going to be easier to make this into a floor lamp as it's a post top lantern.

I reckon all I'll need is a post of the correct diameter and a pot to put it in, then I will use some of the grit, from the gritting bin across the road as that sets hard, to keep the post upright.

Then we will be in business.  Cool

Looking at this website I'm pretty sure that the lantern I'm getting is from the '90s.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:18:18 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

HPSM250R2

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 04:18:08 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I've just purchased a Thorn Gamma 6 lantern, that will arrive in the middle of next week.

It's going to be easier to make this into a floor lamp as it's a post top lantern.

I reckon all I'll need is a post of the correct diameter and a pot to put it in, then I will use some of the grit, from the gritting bin across the road as that sets hard, to keep the post upright.

Then we will be in business.  Cool

Awesome what wattage lamp?
Mandolin Girl

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 04:19:17 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Awesome what wattage lamp?
35W  Cool SOX of course  Grin

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.

HPSM250R2

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:28:33 PM » Author: HPSM250R2

Ahh awesome. Can't wait to see it. I'm just sorry I didn't get into SOX lighting until recently. I've been missing out.
sox35

View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 04:30:48 PM » Author: sox35
I don't think a 180W one would fit  Cheesy Tongue

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

Mandolin Girl

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 04:31:02 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ahh awesome. Can't wait to see it. I'm just sorry I didn't get into SOX lighting until recently. I've been missing out.
I'll be sure to post pictures when it's done.   Smiley The seller wants to see pics as well.!  Smiley

Ash

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 04:37:46 PM » Author: Ash
I have used posttops as room lantens before -

Steinitz moon baloon (first time with its original 125W Merc, later converted to 13W PL-C with an Orion adapter, running in series with the Merc gear)

Ben Hur Rondolux clone (acually put together from parts of the Ben Hur clone and real AEG Rondolux lanterns) (converted to 26W PL-C)

Gaash 600mm cone (converted to 9W PL-S)

The moon baloon is fairly lightweight lantern (and even more so if i would remove the ballast), it fared well standing on the base from a floor fan

The 2 others are big lanterns that would tip over if wobbled - For them i used a real 2" pipe (same as the pole they are meant for), standing on the floor and attached to a side bracket thats screwed to the wall (to holes remaining from a shelf that was there many years ago). Still had to be careful not to bump them but otherwise it was usable

Mandolin Girl

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 01:22:22 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The lantern arrived today, so the work can now start. I have still to source the 3" post though.  Smiley

View Gallery

Knight of the D-line streetlights

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 07:16:09 PM » Author: 589
The lantern arrived today, so the work can now start. I have still to source the 3" post though.  Smiley

Heavy gauge pvc pipe? Around here it can be had in black also. Expanding foam can possibly be used as further internal structure stiffening. Also an old brake rotor from a truck works good for a base.

Low Pressure Sodium

Mandolin Girl

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 07:18:49 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Heavy gauge pvc pipe? Around here it can be had in black also. Expanding foam can possibly be used as further internal structure stiffening. Also an old brake rotor from a truck works good for a base.
Good suggestion, for a base I was thinking of a waste paper bucket and lots of road grit from the bin across the road.

wide-lite 1000

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:33 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Good suggestion, for a base I was thinking of a waste paper bucket and lots of road grit from the bin across the road.

sounds like a good plan !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Gallery

Re: Thorn Gamma 6 Post Top lantern - conversion « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 12:31:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We have got the lamp on a temporary base, sitting on a shelf in the corner of the living room. Grin

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines