Author Topic: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic  (Read 2801 times)
GE101R
Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « on: November 03, 2019, 03:29:38 PM » Author: GE101R
Many on LG do not care about street lighting and others do not care about lamps or receptacles and switches. That way it would keep the specific street light topic in it's own section away from the other electrical topics.
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 03:59:03 PM » Author: Max
We'll end up with hundreds of sections on this site if we go specific to that degree.
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 04:16:30 PM » Author: Max
No, we will not. That one section will be busy into itself.
That can also be said for the many different subjects that are discussed on this site. So, yes, we'll end up with too many specific sections.
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 04:37:18 PM » Author: Max
So why a preferential treatment for the streetlight subject only? I'm sure many other subjects would also benefit to have "specific sections" as well. That's just a honest question.
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 04:58:43 PM » Author: Max
All I'm suggesting here is that creating a specific section only because you don't want to be bothered with posts outside your personal interest opens the door to many other specific sections, since other's "needs" are certainly not less important than yours. And that would certainly not make things simpler here. That's just a honest observation.
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 05:10:24 PM » Author: Max
There are several degree of "specific" you know... but you are right, let the site owner decide if he wants to let everyone have its own specific section. Personally, I'd like a specific section for each LG member, so this can save me from seeing idiotic posts and blurry pictures of the same mundane streetlights taken from Google streetview. There may be some good to be had from your request after all Wink

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:12:50 PM by Max » Logged
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 05:33:21 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Preferential? It's simply letting people post about a subject they are interested in besides wading through fluorescent, receptacles, wall packs, garden lights, mercury tubes, wall blasters, starters, ceiling fixtures, signs, and the list goes on. If you wan to look at street lights you simply go to that topic and you will not have the other to wade through.
It will save time for everybody.

Oh Steve. . . .Lol at wall blasters😂😂😂😂

I agree it would be nice to be able to more easily find street lights. That's what I'm on this site for like 90%. It will be up to the site owner/admin I suppose though to make the final decision.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 05:35:44 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
There are several degree of "specific" you know... but you are right, let the site owner decide if he wants to let everyone have its own specific section. Personally, I'd like a specific section for each LG member, so this can save me from seeing idiotic posts and blurry pictures of the same mundane streetlights taken from Google streetview. There may be some good to be had from your request after all Wink

I agree totally on the blurry pictures and street views. Pointless pics that shouldn't even be bothered posting. I see these pics and some are so bad I can't even make out what manufacturer or model the light is. I'm like what the??

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 05:42:37 PM » Author: Silverliner
Ok, I was notified of this thread. Just now saw this...

Intriguing idea to make more categories to cover a variety of specific types of lamps and street lights. Like, a forum just for the American cobrahead style street lights, another forum just for metal halide lamps, etc.

Iíll discuss with the other administrators, but I know this will require a lot of programming to add many specific categories and I donít know if the site owner would want to do that. My personal opinion is that American and overseas products should be separate categories.

Thanks again for the input.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

samrinne.75 UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg zfarmadillo
Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:37:49 PM » Author: Lumex120
I'm all for this too.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 09:36:34 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Thanks. I think it would be a plus.

There may be more street light pictures than anything else on here. I always thought that was what this site, and Gallery Of Lights was mostly about.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 10:26:21 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm personally not a big fan of the idea. Reason being is it's already quite annoying having to click through two different modern and vintage sections pertaining to lanterns and bulbs (this one's a necessary evil). If we have several different categories for halides, sodium, mercuries, streetlights, NEMA, yard blasters and what not else this site will need Way larger of a scroll bar and alot more clicking to navigate around it. It'd perhaps be better to color code topics within the pre existing categories. For example.

Red for fluorescent fittings and lamps

Green for yard blasters, resi grade floods and whatever other resi grade outdoor lighting.

Blue for NEMA, cobras and other utility grade lighting

Yellow for incandescent fixtures and lamp related topics.

Obviously just an example because I'm sure I've missed some things but I believe this in conjunction with a key at the top of the page would be a bit more efficient than creating tons of categories. You could even add in a sorting button on the corner of the page to sort by color code.

~Owen

Color changing lamp Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool Color changing lamp

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 rcm442 rcm442
Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 02:26:35 PM » Author: RCM442
To do everything in this thread that was suggested, would take MONTHS and MONTHS to do, and would just make the site a lot more cluttered, because us admins would have to go through EACH and EVERY photo to move it to where it belongs and is a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Linear fluorescent will never lose to LED!
I am not Anti-LED, as I have some in use at my house.
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 07:59:37 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
I think there might be more as well.

I don't know the exact numbers of pictures on here though so it's just my guess. Gallery Of Lights might really mostly contain American street light pictures though. I think that might be the reason I registered on Gallery Of Lights first. Unfortunately, the activity on GoL isn't what it was when I registered. Activity is almost non existent. Otherwise I love the site.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Still Say LG Needs A Street Light Topic « Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 04:26:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
A way I've seen on some other sites is to have let users tag pictures with predefined keywords and filter the pictures in the gallery categories by tags. That way a user looking for a picture of a street light can use the "Street Light" tag to view only the street light pictures. To make the filtering more useful, you can filter by multiple tags so filtering with "Street Light" and "Mercury Vapour" will yield pictures of only MV streetlights.

Some problems with this way is that users might not choose to tag their pictures and so won't appear when you filter by a tag, and I'm not sure if Coppermine (the software than runs the gallery) supports this feature stock or has a plugin that supports this feature. Finally there's still the problem of the existing pictures that will have to be tagged so that they're searching under the new system.
Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines