Author Topic: Fluorescent Dimmers  (Read 348 times)
Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Fluorescent Dimmers « on: November 21, 2023, 02:51:14 PM » Author: Lcubed3
Can I use a universal dimmer instead of a Mark 10 fluorescent dimmer? They are expensive!

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent Dimmers « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 04:40:24 PM » Author: Medved
No. Unless you have a special ballast explkcitely designed to work with a "standard dimmer". Except the "dimmable" selfballasted CFL, I'm not aware about any being commercially made, although it is technically possible.

What you may find as a "fluorescent dimmer" is not a real stand alone dimmer, but a (user interface control) component of some dimmable fluorescent ballast system, usually proprietary to work only with the specific "ballasts" of the given manufacturer. Even when the system allowed multiple lamps to be tied to a single common "dimmer" control box.
Only recently the "1..10V" was the somewhat standardized dimming control interface where you may combine components of various brands, but before that it was practically all proprietary only.

No more selfballasted c***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Fluorescent Dimmers « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 08:25:21 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I know Sylvania made F32T8 dimming ballasts that could work with standard incandescent dimmers, as well as 0-10V controls.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent Dimmers « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 01:26:54 PM » Author: funkybulb
I haved use rotory fan speed controller to dim preheat chokes and RS ballast that have independant drive from the cathode heating coils.   

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies