Author Topic: LG wiki  (Read 713 times)
Lumex120

View Gallery

105555521242365640724 UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg zfarmadillo
LG wiki « on: November 23, 2019, 09:23:12 PM » Author: Lumex120
Something I have been thinking about for a while is the possibility of creating a lighting wiki site. Other sites I am members of have wikis and they really add a lot to the community and also are a great way to have lots of information readily available that would otherwise not be well known.

As for options for creating a wiki, one that I believe would be the best is MediaWiki. I know of another site that uses this (not going to say the name here but if anyone's interested just PM me) and it works great. It could be configured for our applications pretty easily. (I do have some experience with using it). Another option is using Wikia, but that's more for things like TV series, Youtubers, anime, stuff like that.

For content, I'd like to have anything ranging from roadway fixtures to series of HID, fluorescent, and other lamps. I also think it might be a good idea to have registration restricted so that only LG members can register and not just anyone. This should help prevent vandalism and spam.

I'd like to hear some input from the administrators as to if something like this is feasible. From what I know it wouldn't be too intensive to host. (but it would have to be a separate website domain, something like wiki.lighting-gallery.net)

Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

Lumex120

View Gallery

Re: LG wiki « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:58 PM » Author: Lumex120
Another thing I'd like to mention is that, if it would be impractical to create a wiki as large as I'm thinking of, the wiki instead could just have a few basic pages on common lighting technologies and street light fixtures.

GE101R

View Gallery

Re: LG wiki « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 12:55:58 PM » Author: GE101R
Another thing I'd like to mention is that, if it would be impractical to create a wiki as large as I'm thinking of, the wiki instead could just have a few basic pages on common lighting technologies and street light fixtures.

Problem is adding lamps. Many of the posters on LG only post about lamps and this would simply carry over while the street light posters would have the lamps to deal with. Several of the administrators said that would be too time consuming to add. Many of the overseas members have zero interest in the USA street lights and as many USA members have zero interest in the overseas postings. Needs to be totally separate IMO.
rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: LG wiki « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 12:17:15 PM » Author: rjluna2
One thing I can tell you that the Wikipedia pages are growing Smiley

Pages does not exist now, but will have a page describing what we have it here in the future Smiley

I have been uploading obsolete electronics component in the Wikimedia Commons page.  I'll never know when it would be useful for a page they have at Wikipedia site Wink

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: LG wiki « Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 06:57:10 PM » Author: Patrick
It's a possibility for the future.  I don't think it'd be hard to do, except perhaps giving people the ability to use it without signing in separately.  Most of the effort would be in the content creation and maintenance.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Lumex120

View Gallery

Re: LG wiki « Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:38:57 PM » Author: Lumex120
It's a possibility for the future.  I don't think it'd be hard to do, except perhaps giving people the ability to use it without signing in separately.  Most of the effort would be in the content creation and maintenance.
Yeah I don't know how easy it would be to make it so that you don't have to login on the other site. All of the times I have seen MediaWiki used it requires a separate login from the forum it's for.
One thing I can tell you that the Wikipedia pages are growing Smiley

Pages does not exist now, but will have a page describing what we have it here in the future Smiley

I have been uploading obsolete electronics component in the Wikimedia Commons page.  I'll never know when it would be useful for a page they have at Wikipedia site Wink
Just curious, but could you maybe link a few of the pages you have made?

rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: LG wiki « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:15:51 PM » Author: rjluna2
Just curious, but could you maybe link a few of the pages you have made?
Not yet Wink

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines