Author Topic: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps?  (Read 2496 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « on: June 02, 2019, 10:50:47 AM » Author: Cole D.
I notice typically I've seen on here that with HPS lamps, the 400W and higher is generally the tubular shape, while the lower wattage is the elliptical. So I was looking on Google to see if tubular shape lamps of lower wattages exist. I saw some on here but most appear to be in European countries. I saw GE Lucalox and Osram. But not really in US. Why is that?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:53:53 AM » Author: dor123
Because tubular lamps are more compact than elliptical lamps, even more compact than reduced size elliptical lamps. Tubular HPS lamps are available from 70-1000W.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:15:50 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Why the Europeans embraced tubular jacketed HID lamps, and North America adopted Elliptical, I am not sure, perhaps someone on here has an explanation.

However, some pros and cons to both ive noticed over my years of relamping jobs. Tubular shaped lamps are great for precision floodlighting and low-profile applications, the larger envelope of ED and BT shaped lamps are generally restricted to larger, bulkier fixtures where arc-tube proximity to the reflector doesnt matter much. But, lamp life and performance is almost always lower in Tubular shaped lamps when compared to their BT and ED counterparts. I cannot speak on the Tubular HPS lamps as I havent installed any, but can say, without a doubt that the T-shaped Metal Halide lamps do suffer from shorter life and faster lumen/spectrum depreciation than the Ellipticals.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:46:04 AM » Author: Medved
Regarding the sensitivity to the outer shape, the MH are far different story than HPS. The main difference is the MH generate way more thermal load and that is the main factor in shorter life. The HPS run way cooler, so the tubular outer shape means not much life problems by its own.
And the reason for their higher popularity in Europe is their compactness - it fits to smaller fixtures.

The reason why the are not that common in the US could be related to the popularity of a CWA style ballast in 120V world, which can not offer that much thermal stabilization as the simple series choke could offer in the 230V environment. The tubular outer reflects quite some heat back at the arctube, leading to worse arc tube temperature so pressure control. As the CWA is inherently less thermally stable, it could be too bad for the tubular concept, so the benefit of the oval shapes became important.

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:10:46 AM » Author: tolivac
I have some tubular style 600W HPS grow lamps.They are common with grow lights-600W.Allows for a smaller more compact fixture.
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 11:51:44 PM » Author: LightsDelight
Because tubular lamps are more compact than elliptical lamps, even more compact than reduced size elliptical lamps. Tubular HPS lamps are available from 70-1000W.
I've seen a tubular 50W HPS before

Keep discharge lighting alive

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 09:45:36 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I have some tubular style 600W HPS grow lamps.They are common with grow lights-600W.Allows for a smaller more compact fixture.
Is there something you want to tell us.??   :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:10:08 AM » Author: Rommie
I've seen a tubular 50W HPS before
We have a few tubular 50W ones, here is a GE Lucalox XO lamp made in Hungary. These have the best colour of any of the HPS lamps in our opinion  8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 11:36:33 AM » Author: dor123
I forgot about the existence of the tubular 50W and even the tubular 35W HPS lamps. HPS lamps under 70W aren't exists in Israel.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 12:32:54 AM » Author: tolivac
Don't grow plants-have the bulbs and fixtures in my collection.Light them on occasions,too!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Why tubular HPS more common on European lamps? « Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 09:21:31 PM » Author: 589
The US does use ET shape lamps in 250w+ to my knowledge. I have a set of 400w GE HPS that are ET shape.

:lps:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies