Author Topic: Q & A  (Read 716 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Q & A « on: November 30, 2019, 07:56:42 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
This is where you can ask your questions regarding the sites various functions, changes, and what not else. Fire away. Me, another mod or other members will be able to answer your questions here.

I've created this and modified the "suggestions" board in order to cater to some of the questions that otherwise end up getting posted in "general" or "off-topic".

I figured it'd be an improvement. If anyone feels otherwise feel free to tell me so!

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Q & A « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 01:01:32 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
This is where you can ask your questions regarding the sites various functions, changes, and what not else. Fire away. Me, another mod or other members will be able to answer your questions here.

I've created this and modified the "suggestions" board in order to cater to some of the questions that otherwise end up getting posted in "general" or "off-topic".

I figured it'd be an improvement. If anyone feels otherwise feel free to tell me so!
A better way to consolidate, nice idea Owen!

Long live Mercury Vapor and Incandescent street lighting!

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Q & A « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 01:28:31 PM » Author: sox35
That's a good idea, well done Owen  Smiley

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

105555521242365640724 UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg zfarmadillo
Re: Q & A « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 08:27:18 PM » Author: Lumex120
I really like having this section called "questions & suggestions" instead of just suggestions. It feels less weird posting questions here now.

Anyways, I do have a question: Is it possible that a night mode could ever be implemented here? I don't like having my eyes burned out when I'm checking here late at night.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Q & A « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 11:04:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
Anyways, I do have a question: Is it possible that a night mode could ever be implemented here? I don't like having my eyes burned out when I'm checking here late at night.

It's not a nice looking as a night mode made specially for this site but I find using a night mode extension on the browser side kind of works as a workaround for LG. The only thing that looks out of place is the logo.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Q & A « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 11:09:51 PM » Author: Lumex120
That's really close to what I was thinking. Now if it could be implemented to the site itself, the logo and buttons could darken too. Oh, and it would be really neat if the button to turn it on or off was the MV lamp icon. Grin

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Q & A « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 11:52:59 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I don't know how these forums work on the server end as far as adding 'themes' go.

But I could theoretically grab & modify the existing CSS files to make a dark/night version. (assuming they're not real complex, which I would assume looking at the site itself, they're not..)

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Q & A « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:15:43 PM » Author: sox35
It's not a nice looking as a night mode made specially for this site but I find using a night mode extension on the browser side kind of works as a workaround for LG. The only thing that looks out of place is the logo.
Yes, I've tried using night mode on Firefox, but it doesn't really work all that well  Undecided

What I would like to see, which I've seen on other sites, is a choice of colour palettes. I was never all that keen on green  Grin Tongue
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:14:56 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Q & A « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 10:03:28 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Had some fun with this page tonight...

Night mode be something like this (except the green menu .lol. )

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Q & A « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 12:36:24 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yes, I've tried using night mode on Firefox, but it doesn't really work all that well  Undecided

What I would like to see, which I've seen on other sites, is a choice of colour palettes. I was never all that keen on green  Grin Tongue

Yeah, I guess the quality of the night mode also depends on the extension you use too. Heh, the site's original design used to be all green. Then the current design with the blue background got implemented.

I believe the forum software does allow different themes but I'm not sure about the gallery side. If it can, perhaps you could make a few themes, maybe a couple of light themes and a couple of dark themes.

I personally don't use the dark background night modes that often. Instead I prefer using the night mode in the OS which lowers the colour temperature of my screen at night. Windows 10 has a built in night mode feature, along with newer versions of MacOS and I'm pretty sure a similar program exists for those who use Linux.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Re: Q & A « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 05:59:49 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yeah, I guess the quality of the night mode also depends on the extension you use too. Heh, the site's original design used to be all green. Then the current design with the blue background got implemented.

I believe the forum software does allow different themes but I'm not sure about the gallery side. If it can, perhaps you could make a few themes, maybe a couple of light themes and a couple of dark themes.

I personally don't use the dark background night modes that often. Instead I prefer using the night mode in the OS which lowers the colour temperature of my screen at night. Windows 10 has a built in night mode feature, along with newer versions of MacOS and I'm pretty sure a similar program exists for those who use Linux.

Personally I find that turning down the brightness on my screen works well enough.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Q & A « Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 06:09:07 PM » Author: Lumex120
Had some fun with this page tonight...

Night mode be something like this (except the green menu .lol. )
That's more what I was thinking. Except maybe instead of purple for title bars it could be a different shade of gray. That would look more modern.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Q & A « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 10:31:42 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Lumex120
That's more what I was thinking. Except maybe instead of purple for title bars it could be a different shade of gray. That would look more modern.
I was going for a 'nighttime' look with the type of colors you might see in nature LOL mainly just playing around.
Gray could just as easily be done Smiley

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: Q & A « Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 08:23:42 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'd love to see it added. I don't know if it will be though. This is one of the ideas that I brought up alot before. Personally I use a night mode extension called nightmode pro. Turns the site a mix of browns, grays and greens. I honestly like the nightmode look more because the pictures pop out better than they do with the glaringly bright white background.

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Q & A « Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 09:25:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
I'd love to see it added. I don't know if it will be though.
It really depends on how 'themes' need to be done...do they need to be made with a specific "theme maker" meant for the software used here, or is it as simple as making a subdirectory on the server & putting the needed CSS/image files in it, then letting the software 'know' where it is?

Like the existing theme is in:
lighting-gallery.net/Themes/blueGreen/

So night mode might be put in
lighting-gallery.net/Themes/Night/

(The pic I posted was done through modifying LG's CSS files (grabbed & edited locally on my PC)  .. there'd technically be a bit more needed done than what I did, but it could be if someone wanted to do it)

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines