Author Topic: Buying quality pays  (Read 1455 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Buying quality pays « on: November 21, 2019, 06:08:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Having posted the pictures of the tape measure that I won in an eBay auction, that got me to thinking.

I inherited an old  pair of binoculars, and I thought I would post some photos of them:

Case with paddock pass and binoculars

Personalised engraving The only wear on them is round the right hand viewing ring, if that's what you call it.

Close up of the paddock pass showing the year and serial number

Serial number and model

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:15:03 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:54:53 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The binoculars were made by Zeiss, so on the off chance that they might hold records that would allow me to date which part of the year they were made I sent off an email.

Today I got a reply:

Because they were made before 1969, they are no longer in warranty and they can't help me...

I've heard of goods having long warranty periods, but fifty years is a new one on me.!!  :o

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 03:59:51 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
That reminds me. I bought two used 827 13w PL-S lamps. A Philips and a Sylvania. The Philips one was made in Poland and the Sylvania was made in China. Both had blackening that looked the same. I put both into use in two separate fittings and the Sylvania died after one month! The Philips is still going strong after nearly four months and the blackening hasn't changed!
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 04:26:01 PM » Author: Rommie
Sadly, manufacturing quality goods in the first place is not at the top of most companies' agendas these days. Planned obsolescence means they make as poor a quality item as they can get away with, to force consumers to buy new ones of whatever it is every few years (or sometimes even months)  :-\

Take television sets, for example. Years ago there was a whole cottage industry dedicated to repairing items like this; if your TV stopped working, you could take it to a little back-street shop where a man in a brown coat would open it up and replace whatever component had failed. Now it's a case of just throwing it away and buying a new one. I don't know about other people, but I can't afford to spend several hundred (or even thousand) pounds on a new TV every four or five years  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 05:25:08 PM » Author: FGS
That reminds me. I bought two used 827 13w PL-S lamps. A Philips and a Sylvania. The Philips one was made in Poland and the Sylvania was made in China. Both had blackening that looked the same. I put both into use in two separate fittings and the Sylvania died after one month! The Philips is still going strong after nearly four months and the blackening hasn't changed!

Were those two lights run at the same rate or they were used more for one fixture and less for the other one? How often were they switched plays a part. If they both were in one fitting and Sylvania dies before Philips one, you might have a point. Since they were in separate fittings then there’s too many variables at play to make it a valid experiment. Hence the questions. ;)

Sadly, manufacturing quality goods in the first place is not at the top of most companies' agendas these days. Planned obsolescence means they make as poor a quality item as they can get away with, to force consumers to buy new ones of whatever it is every few years (or sometimes even months)  :-\

Take television sets, for example. Years ago there was a whole cottage industry dedicated to repairing items like this; if your TV stopped working, you could take it to a little back-street shop where a man in a brown coat would open it up and replace whatever component had failed. Now it's a case of just throwing it away and buying a new one. I don't know about other people, but I can't afford to spend several hundred (or even thousand) pounds on a new TV every four or five years  :-\

Have you ever seen inside a modern TV? Lots of tiny components and connectors which can break easily if so much looked at wrong. I don’t blame manufacturers for the newer TVs being hard to fix making them throwaway stuff. I blame the consumers thinking the thinner it is the modern and top tier it is. An 8K TV can be made with larger components and connectors making the whole case 3” or 4” thick instead of 1” or less they are these days. But no, people wants thin TVs because they think it’s better quality or whatever.

Planned obsolescence? More like it just got harder to fix things. Harder means more costly meaning it’s cheaper to toss it.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 05:33:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Have you ever seen inside a modern TV? Lots of tiny components and connectors which can break easily if so much looked at wrong. I don’t blame manufacturers for the newer TVs being hard to fix making them throwaway stuff. I blame the consumers thinking the thinner it is the modern and top tier it is. An 8K TV can be made with larger components and connectors making the whole case 3” or 4” thick instead of 1” or less they are these days. But no, people wants thin TVs because they think it’s better quality or whatever.

Planned obsolescence? More like it just got harder to fix things. Harder means more costly meaning it’s cheaper to toss it.

It's perfectly possible to carry out component level repairs, therefore keeping the TV going.

Louis Rossmann does exactly that for MAC books, and does it cheaper than Apple do, and sometimes Apple have said that the repair is not possible.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:37:19 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 05:49:09 PM » Author: FGS
It's perfectly possible to carry out component level repairs, therefore keeping the TV going.

Louis Rossmann does exactly that for MAC books, and does it cheaper than Apple do, and sometimes Apple have said that the repair is not possible.

Never said it wasn’t possible. I’ve heard of people upgrading the storage capacity of their iPhones. It’s how many people capable of doing that level of component repairs are around.

In fact there were vids uploaded to Facebook a while ago showing people doing that sort of repairs on smartphones by means of a macro camera. What he sees is what we get on vids. Now they’re gone or I just suck at finding them.  ;D

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 06:19:43 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Were those two lights run at the same rate or they were used more for one fixture and less for the other one? How often were they switched plays a part. If they both were in one fitting and Sylvania dies before Philips one, you might have a point. Since they were in separate fittings then there’s too many variables at play to make it a valid experiment. Hence the questions. ;)

No, both were in different fittings but on the same switch. They ran 4hrs/night.

Both fittings have magnetic ballasts and neither overdrives the lamp.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Buying quality pays « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 05:49:22 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I was speaking to my mother this evening, and she has confirmed that the binoculars I have inherited use to belong to my Great grandfather.  :) 8)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies