Author Topic: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp  (Read 1859 times)
Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « on: December 07, 2019, 01:20:44 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Hello dear sirs and madams!

I have got three vintage Osram HBO 200W/2 lamps on the way in the mail. NOS complete with even the original shipping cardboard box. Very nice find for just 100kr (about 10$-ish). I got them to simply admire the craftmanship, gaze upon the mercury in the arctube and get a nice display item.

But then i thought... Why not light them up? Getting the specialized ballasts these require would be extremely hard. Is there anyway i can light these up without (super) specialized equipment? Im on 230V mains. Any ideas?

Made in Sweden

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 03:00:55 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Not advisable to be honest, due to the high UV radiation output and very high internal pressure when hot, but the gear would have to be a set that delivers a low arc voltage, I think nominal is something like 57 volt ?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 03:37:11 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Not advisable to be honest, due to the high UV radiation output and very high internal pressure when hot, but the gear would have to be a set that delivers a low arc voltage, I think nominal is something like 57 volt ?

Yes according to the Osram datasheet, 57V AC or DC.

Could you not block out the UV with some hard glass?

The pressure is my biggest concern, if a bulb like that shatters... My wife would be steaming mad at me!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:38:42 PM by Edmund Ironside » Logged

Made in Sweden

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 03:54:29 PM » Author: AngryHorse
We ran a 250 watt ME mercury lamp at one of our meet ups once, (sadly I can’t show you the photos here as our other lighting forum won’t let me download my own photo for some reason)????, but we ran it on a 400 watt HPS ballast and all viewed it through a welding mask!, the arc was very interesting though, it had a plasma round it that looked like a green candle flame when running, quite a thing to see first hand!

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 04:25:09 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
We ran a 250 watt ME mercury lamp at one of our meet ups once, (sadly I can’t show you the photos here as our other lighting forum won’t let me download my own photo for some reason)????, but we ran it on a 400 watt HPS ballast and all viewed it through a welding mask!, the arc was very interesting though, it had a plasma round it that looked like a green candle flame when running, quite a thing to see first hand!

So how would one go about to run a 200W/2 HBO lamp with standard equipment?

Made in Sweden

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 04:28:13 PM » Author: AngryHorse
James would be the guy to ask, it was his idea to run the ME on a 400watt high pressure sodium ballast, probably the same gear would suffice?
The problem is though, a HBO is a bare discharge tube, and the UV radiation would be more dangerous even if behind glass??
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:36:39 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 06:43:01 PM » Author: James
I believe this would probably run fairly close to its design parameters on a 250W HPS circuit, with ignitor since there is no auxiliary ignition electrode in the 200W/2.  It would be slightly under-run but that is no bad thing, to reduce its risk of explosion!  Make sure to run it vertically though and with the long seal uppermost, and in a well ventilated area because there can be some ozone production during run-up.
Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a HBO 200W/2 lamp « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 04:14:23 AM » Author: Edmund Ironside
I believe this would probably run fairly close to its design parameters on a 250W HPS circuit, with ignitor since there is no auxiliary ignition electrode in the 200W/2.  It would be slightly under-run but that is no bad thing, to reduce its risk of explosion!  Make sure to run it vertically though and with the long seal uppermost, and in a well ventilated area because there can be some ozone production during run-up.

Thank you for the advise James. Would ordinary hard glass be enough to filter out the dangerous UV-radiation?

Realistically, how big is the chance of explosion in these lamps, they have been stored in their NOS plastic boxes sice i assume late 70's or early 80's. So the chance of them having scratches and such in the glass is minimal.

Made in Sweden

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies