Author Topic: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live?  (Read 2804 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « on: December 15, 2019, 10:18:39 PM » Author: Cole D.
Here in the back yard, I can see two warning lights of towers in the distance. All three I believe, are cellular repeater towers, and they have red lights that fade on and off. Sometimes, if the red light is out it seems there's a bright white light that flashes instead.

From the end of the street I can also see another tower in distance, also with red light.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 12:46:03 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
There's nothing tall here in my city so nothing special. Some cell towers here have those red flashing obstruction lights. By one of the ReStores here, there's four tall towers (don't know what they're for) and they have xenon obstruction lights with different flash rates.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:57:40 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Not around me, but when we were on holiday in Llandudno in North Wales, if you looked out over the bay at like 3 in the morning, you could see all the red beacons on the offshore wind turbines out at sea, it was quite spooky in a way!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 04:05:53 PM » Author: Ash
Some cellular towers with steady on Red lights
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:57:56 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Not around me, but when we were on holiday in Llandudno in North Wales, if you looked out over the bay at like 3 in the morning, you could see all the red beacons on the offshore wind turbines out at sea, it was quite spooky in a way!

During the summer, My friend and I went to a racetrack in northeast Indiana, right at the State line for Ohio and Indiana there is a huge wind farm  and at night all you see is synchronized red flashing lights for miles on end , hundreds of them !!! VERY CREEPY !!!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:28:58 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yes. There TV/Radio transmission towers on some of the first line of mountains(technically foothills). I can easily see the red warning lights on them from home at night.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 07:48:12 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Here in the back yard, I can see two warning lights of towers in the distance. All three I believe, are cellular repeater towers, and they have red lights that fade on and off. Sometimes, if the red light is out it seems there's a bright white light that flashes instead.

From the end of the street I can also see another tower in distance, also with red light.

Same here. I think I Can see 4 from my house, all with red lights that fade on and off.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 09:25:07 AM » Author: funkybulb
where I live I can count 7 Cell phone towers
in a 10 miles view as I live on top of the hill

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 11:19:56 AM » Author: boiler1011
I can see a red obstruction light for a cell site down the road from my house, as well as some kind of not-FAA-approved blue LED beacon on a long rang wifi tower a couple miles away. It has an odd flash rate, too. I can also see an obstruction light on the water tower here in town if I stand in a certain spot in my yard.
yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 11:45:09 PM » Author: yuandrew
From a certain window upstairs, there's a steady red light on a repeater tower at the old Aerojet munitions facility for city communications (police, fire, public works)

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=336

Noticeable from a hill in my neighborhood that overlooks the valley are the new 500kv transmission lines running between Chino and Mira-Loma substations; the towers supporting that power line are equipped with solar powered obstruction lights. They seem to flash in a row.

By one of the ReStores here, there's four tall towers (don't know what they're for) and they have xenon obstruction lights with different flash rates.

The exhaust stacks on Mountain view Generating Station ?

https://goo.gl/maps/ashDFfBSqej8DmC67

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:46:58 PM by yuandrew » Logged
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 09:02:36 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Theres a 400ft. radio tower, far from my house, and it has those L865 TWR Lighting white day and night strobes. Theres also a 200ft. cell tower near me, that was recently built, and it has no flashing strobe or beacon, or side lights on it.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:38:34 AM » Author: Cavannus
There are some antennas at about 800 metres from my home but I don't see them from my windows.

However from my favourite campsite in a rural region, I noticed a very far antenna tower that has a white flashing beacon during the day that switches to a red blinking light during the night.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:43:31 AM by Cavannus » Logged
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 05:21:45 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There are a few in the area, but our view of them is blocked by surrounding buildings.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can you see beacon or warning lights, from where you live? « Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 07:10:30 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think I could see some of the red warning lights on top of the hydro towers a few km due north to where I live. They have a nice fade in and out to them so I suspect they're still incandescent. Maybe one of those 700w code beacon lamps.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies