Author Topic: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps  (Read 6257 times)
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « on: December 17, 2019, 02:00:57 PM » Author: Miles
I know that France had these unique T12 fluorescent bulbs made popular mid-20th century, and they were available usually in 2 foot 20W and 4 foot 40W, single contact R18 socket. There were rapid start with an internal ignition strip.

A long time ago, a small local market was renovating and tearing down their lighting. The shop had these old tired 2-lamp fixtures, however, the tubes were about 72 inches long (180cm). I had a 40W version of that fixture, same sockets, same design and all, and I'm pretty sure the ends were for a R18 socket, therefore a TL-S lamp.

I never ever heard of a TL-S lamp longer than 4 foot (120cm) at 40W. Is my memory wrong, or did that particular lamp was also made in a 6 foot long version?

Note: For those who want to see how they look like, here's a link :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:02:28 PM by Miles » Logged
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 11:05:24 PM » Author: Silverliner
Checked a couple Philips catalogs. They only listed TL-S up to 40w. Perhaps the ones you saw were slimline?

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Catalogues.htm

Plenty of great literature in the above link.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 06:40:57 PM » Author: Miles
So that's just it, I thought the same thing, 40W is the max. And you're right, catalogs only list 40W as the largest you can get.

Definitely not a Slimline as it had no brass in a single pin, it was a dark bakelite end where you remove the bulb by turning ¼ turn, just like TL-S. However, you could say that then this likely was an HO RDC lamp, but the tube had an inner ignition strip, and was longer than 4 foot. I remember measuring it totaling at about 180cm or about 72 inches.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:57:04 PM » Author: Silverliner
Were 75w 6' T12 bipin lamps ever used in France by any chance? Or just a British thing?

Electrician.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:07:12 PM » Author: James
As far as I know the TL-S indeed only existed in 2ft 20W and 4ft 40W.  If you remember it having black end caps, I can only wonder if it might have been an HO 110W or VHO 215W tube, but as far as I know Philips only made these in 8ft length and with R17d caps.

Dave - the 6ft tube is an exclusively British thing, even the modern T8 6ft 70W never seemed to take off in other countries.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:22:49 PM » Author: Silverliner
James, we have a small number of 70w 6’ T8s here in the states. Used in refrigeration equipment.

Electrician.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 03:20:37 AM » Author: Michael
James, we have a small number of 70w 6’ T8s here in the states. Used in refrigeration equipment.

The same here, I’ve only seen this size in refrigerators. The TL-S and maybe the TL-R format were maybe a thing in the 50s- 60s here but never seen any installed.

For the VHO Power Groove it’s different. The 215W size were in the past quite common in Switzerland.
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 11:15:44 PM » Author: Miles
As far as I know the TL-S indeed only existed in 2ft 20W and 4ft 40W.  If you remember it having black end caps, I can only wonder if it might have been an HO 110W or VHO 215W tube, but as far as I know Philips only made these in 8ft length and with R17d caps.

The thing that bothers me is that I definitely know it was not a bipin prong end (no exposed brass or metal), it had an internal ignition strip.
HO or VHO are 8 feet and too long, this was closer to 6 feet. And to remove, it was ¼ turn click, no plungers. Fixture had the sockets in a V config with "Cie Des Lampes" stamped at the end.
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 11:37:10 AM » Author: Jovan
Where these lamps were used ?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 11:18:13 AM » Author: Rommie
I'm hoping to get a few of these lamps soon, I already have the ballast lamps  8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 09:17:47 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
There is a whole case of 25 TLS 40w/33 lamps on U.S. eBay for some reason. There is also a set of 4. They’re quite expensive though. I can’t imagine what the shipping would be to get them across the pond.

Case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-25-Philips-TLS-40W-33-Fluorescent-Tube-Lamp-Light-Bulb-Cool-White-R18S/152329263492?epid=2079213165&hash=item2377881984:g:a~0AAOSw-0xYNc4T

4 Lamps: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-Philips-TLS-40W-33-Fluorescent-Tube-Lamp-Light-Bulb-Cool-White-R18S/152329291406?epid=2079213165&hash=item237788868e:g:a~0AAOSw-0xYNc4T
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 09:51:01 AM » Author: Rommie
Interesting to see them over there, but the shipping costs are too much to get them here. I have found a supplier in France who I hope to get some from in the New Year, will post more details when I have information.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:13 PM » Author: Miles
Interesting to see them over there, but the shipping costs are too much to get them here. I have found a supplier in France who I hope to get some from in the New Year, will post more details when I have information.

Do you have fixtures for them?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 07:21:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Do you have fixtures for them?
Unfortunately not, but I remember them from my childhood, a local shop had one in the front window.

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-S Fluorescent Lamps « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 08:42:14 PM » Author: Miles
I regret tossing the 2x40W fixture and bulbs I had at the time. But what the hell did I know, I was 9. :-X
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies