Author Topic: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's  (Read 3760 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « on: December 30, 2008, 02:41:26 PM » Author: lightman64
The other day i was in lowes looking for table lamps. Some fixtures had CFls some regular incandescents. All of a sudden i hear a BANG and smell something funny. I quietly walk away, not wanting to look like i did it. The next day i come back and look at the lamp which made the bang. In the socket was part of a Bright Effects 23 watt cfl and it was burned. Some glass from it was laying on the ground. I told a salesman and he fixed it. It just goes to show that Lowes brand CFls are bad. Cool story hunh?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:35:14 PM » Author: Mercury Man
It's more scary than cool.  I'm beginning to think I should stop using CFLs.  I have one in my hallway that burns 24/7, and I don't want my house to burn down!
Mr. Big
Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:04 PM » Author: Mr. Big
The other day i was in lowes looking for table lamps. Some fixtures had CFls some regular incandescents. All of a sudden i hear a BANG and smell something funny. I quietly walk away, not wanting to look like i did it. The next day i come back and look at the lamp which made the bang. In the socket was part of a Bright Effects 23 watt cfl and it was burned. Some glass from it was laying on the ground. I told a salesman and he fixed it. It just goes to show that Lowes brand CFls are bad. Cool story hunh?

The Bright Effects ones are known junk, even tho they are from Feit!  :o
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 04:51:27 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Those should be proven and shown

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:29:33 AM » Author: lightman64
the worst cfl brands are Bright Effects and Lights of America.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:35:30 PM » Author: arcblue
Well, it's a good reason to turn off lights when your not around. What's scary to me is that the one CFL that I read about that caused a house to burn down was in an EXTERIOR light fixture. I guess I should be glad I have HID fixtures outside. On the other hand, I have CFL's on timers inside the house that are on when I'm not home. So far most of the CFL's I've had just have died quietly, although I have had a few that melted bases.

I have also heard of televisions, stereos and plastic surge protectors melting down and causing fires. Best thing you can do is unplug what you can when you're away, and have good common sense, home insurance and an inventory.

I'm lampin...

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 07:09:29 PM » Author: lightman64
yes, i agree 100 % with that!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26:08 PM » Author: Silverliner
Bright Effects CFLs are JUNK I have read SO MANY complaints about them burning out quickly and sometimes catching fires. I remember smelling one at the local blowes and it smelled burnt even tho it was still working.

By the way speaking of electronics catching fire, its a good idea to unplug them when they're not in use, because when they're off they still draw a little juice. That's called vampire power I believe.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:20:33 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I only buy CFLs from known brands (especially GE). Outside we have 3 GE CFLs in dusk-to-dawn operation, two of them just pass a year this week. Congratulations, CFLs!  :D

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:16:13 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I have a GE CFL that has been EXCESSIVELY used since Jan 17, 2003 and still going!!!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:33:27 PM » Author: Foxtronix
In my opinion, GEs are the best. At least the thermal fuse in the ballast REALLY works...

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:11:02 AM » Author: lightman64
older lights of america are ok but newer ones are bad. i have some candolabra base ones in my mailbox light and they are still going strong after 2 years. i do give bright effects credit because they come in many different color tempatures, more than commerical elecrtic (n:vision).

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL Meltdown at Lowe's « Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 05:11:31 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Lightman64: That's why I don't call them LOA (Lights of america) anymore, it's LOCA (Lights of chinese america)!  :D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies